Should I be looking for a Hardware Firewall?

Thinking of buying a server sometime within the next 6 - 12months as I've been renting dedicated servers for a number of years (only ever had one at any given time but have upgraded/changed providers during that time) to run my websites and those of friends.

But if I go down that route I want to do things properly up until now I've tended to rely on software firewall which so far has served me well. (I use Linux so firewall is iptables based)

Although I'm thinking if I colo a server it might be worth investing in hardware firewall, thing is having only dealt with software firewalls I'm unsure what i need to look for in a hardware firewall and how much i'd have to spend on one.

Basically looking to control which ports can be used inbound/outbound and it would need to handle multiple external IP addresses.

The current (rented) server is on 10Mbit/s and I Suspect I will again choose a 10Mbit/s connection if I co-lo at least initially.

So is it worth getting a hardware firewall and how much would it be likely to cost me?

From previous experience most of the hardware firewalls out there use IPTables as a base. Remember a hardware firewall is only a piece of hardware with software/firmware running on it to turn it into a firewall, without the software/firmware it's just a useless piece of metal and plastic.
    Visit Symsys Ltd for all your computer needs, from programming to Linux Server Support.

In New Zealand and need some on site help with your I.T. infrastructure or need design services and you're located somewhere else in the world? Visit Symsys Ltd for a better service.

Getting a decent machine (1GHZ) gig ram, at least a raid1, or CF card. running m0n0wall/pfSense would be right up your alley.

I ideal if you colo.

ISP drop (10MB or w/e)
    your firewall
    your switch
    your server farm
    Remote Hands and Your Local Tech for the Los Angeles area.

(310) 573-8050 - LinkedIn

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    Getting a decent machine (1GHZ) gig ram, at least a raid1, or CF card. running m0n0wall/pfSense would be right up your alley.

I ideal if you colo.

ISP drop (10MB or w/e)
    your firewall
    your switch
    your server farm
    Will only be a single server to start with.