Crucial Vs Media Temple

Hi,
    I've considered these two plans for hosting a user-submitted news site. I want to know what your opinions are.
    Crucial webhost's split-shared hosting
    (250GB, 2500GB @ $25/mo)
    AND
    Media Temple's Grid service
    (100GB, 1000GB @ $20/mo)

I understand both are fairly new technologies somewhat different from typical shared hosting. I've also heard that the grid service is still in a nascent stage and that it'll take time to fully stabilise. Is this true? My budget is around $30, so both fit well in that category. There are few other important issues I would like to consider as well:
    1.Support
    2.Digg-Proofing (sudden spike in traffic)
    3.Does it have a hassle free upgrade path?
    Please post your comments and opinions about each of these issues, thank you.

Mediatemple hosts nike. I mean they have an awesome upgrade path. Ive never used the other company, but other than some upgrades there have been no outages in my dealings with mediatemple. They use pretty good facilities to do what they do.

I'm pretty sure that Nike is not hosted by MT, they may host something related to them, but not nike.com.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

I dont know....

http://www.mediatemple.net/company/clients/

They have a pretty nice list. The shoe company that I work for during the daytime currently hosts with them. www.cr8rec.com we havent had a problem hosting wise.

Er Yea I think you are right though. Nike.com goes to http://loudcloud.com/ ipspace
    Last edited by sexyhosting; 01-22-2008 at 03:38 AM. Reason: clarification

Mr.guitarpop,i have a good idea for you.If your looking for any good webhosting company along with low price then i have something good for you.
    I'm from bhuttan and i have taken package from company called ************.It has unlimited package for just 37.8074 USD .It has very good cusotmer/tech support.And you will get fully hassle free upgrade path digg-proffing also.So visit the website once.Bye.

************.It what is that? hah spam filter?

Quote Originally Posted by darkfyre View Post
    I dont know....

http://www.mediatemple.net/company/clients/

They have a pretty nice list. The shoe company that I work for during the daytime currently hosts with them. www.cr8rec.com we havent had a problem hosting wise.

Er Yea I think you are right though. Nike.com goes to http://loudcloud.com/ ipspace
    lorealparis.com resolves to an IP in Paris, sendyourstyle.com to an IP in California. (I have check only those 2) nor I think that Sony host with them.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Nike.com, Adobe.com and microsoft website are hosted under akamai's hosting umbrella hosting. Am I right?

fellas, lets not get off topic, someone please answer my questions.

Wow, Media Temple looks like a REALLY decent company, if only they had more space on their Grid service

Oh great to hear that. But consider this scenario. Suppose the site gets dugg or gets a sudden burst in traffic and say 50,000 visitors (reasonable estimate, i think) throng the site in under 2 hours. Then, could this be handled? Will the site be granted extra cpu-power and RAM to handle such traffic? I mention CPU-power because, most shared host providers, just suspend the account once a limit has been crossed. What is the case with crucial. And will the CPU,RAM overages for this be charged?
    Thanks

Crucial Web Host is offline [email protected]
    Quote Originally Posted by guitarpop View Post
    Suppose the site gets dugg or gets a sudden burst in traffic and say 50,000 visitors (reasonable estimate, i think) throng the site in under 2 hours. Then, could this be handled?
    In a word, yes. (Edited, the rest of the information can be obtained from Crucial Web Hosting)
    Last edited by boonchuan; 01-22-2008 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Borders on Self Promotion
    CrucialHosting.com - Performance Hosting Solutions:
    SamsClub.com - Walmart.com - Ellusionist.com - CampSaver.com

Check out our Site Showcase for more big brand examples!

Quote Originally Posted by darkfyre View Post
    Mediatemple hosts nike. I mean they have an awesome upgrade path. Ive never used the other company, but other than some upgrades there have been no outages in my dealings with mediatemple. They use pretty good facilities to do what they do.

Mediatemple hosts many good sites, question is, does it host them on shared accounts, VPS, dedicated servers or some other custom solution? .. Nike definitely is not hosted on $20 shared account so do not expect to get what they got.

Crucial Web Host is offline [email protected]
    Hello,

I apologize for the inconvenience, however we are unable to respond to your questions here without receiving forum infractions and having the responses removed.

If you would like my original responses to your questions for your records you may request them also by visiting our help desk.

Kind regards,
    CrucialHosting.com - Performance Hosting Solutions:
    SamsClub.com - Walmart.com - Ellusionist.com - CampSaver.com

Check out our Site Showcase for more big brand examples!

Nike and Sony are hosted on Akamai servers, and so does mediatemple. I guess Mediatemple is a reseller for Akamai's services.

I'll have to recommend Crucial. Their support is amazing. Every single email I've sent to their tech-support team (everything for problems on my end) has been responded to in less than 10 minutes, often no more than 5 minutes. I'd pick Crucial just for that.

Also, there's something I like about smaller companies. I don't feel I'm treated as "just another customer".

Good luck!

I used Mediatemple Grid hosting, but it was horrible slow. My friend had one account with them and had same problem.