ModernBill to Stop Allowing License Transfers

What do you think about Modern Bill deciding to stop allowing the transfer of their licenses. Do you think there was competition from people selling them too cheaply?
    Brett Meadors

Quote Originally Posted by YMHBrett View Post
    What do you think about Modern Bill deciding to stop allowing the transfer of their licenses. Do you think there was competition from people selling them too cheaply?
    Honestly - who buys ModernBill anymore? There are SO MANY better choices on the market - WHMCS and ClientExec being the top 2.

They're probably struggling financially and rather than let people transfer their licenses, they're forcing people who actually still want their crappy software to buy new licenses
    Nick Hudson - Prevail Host LLC - http://www.prevail.host/
    Premium Quality cPanel Hosting Services - CloudLinux, LiteSpeed & SSD
    WHMControl - Secure Your Server Logins & Automate Password Changes

Thank god I jumped ships 3 months ago.
    ^_^

Modernbill still exists? Even after such a terrible v5?

Blimey.

I was very close to moving to MB but now after seeing v5 and all it's problems and now these other little oddities....I am so glad I stayed with what I have.

They are finding they aren't getting enough new purchases due to the mess they made with their latest updates and so are having to resort to things like this. A disappointing end to their product.

I am always amazed to read that these scammers are still in business and that peoples are still buying their awfull product. (Note: they are still selling it as the "...the most advanced automated and recurring billing software on the market...", what a scam !!!)
    Nowadays, it seems they are more interested by their new product: dnzoom.com and to earn prizes in the domain name competition.

Hopefully for our customers, we left this sinking ship a long time ago.
    WEBDOMAIN.com: WHERE IT ALL BEGINS!
    We host web sites and register domain names since 2000.
    CLICK HERE TO CONTACT A SALES REPRESENTATIVE LIVE!

They do seem to be falling down pretty hard. I haven't seen many hosts using it lately, now that I think about it.
    Brett Meadors

YMHBrett can you link to an announcement. That would be good information for all.

Quote Originally Posted by WebDomain.com View Post
    I am always amazed to read that these scammers are still in business and that peoples are still buying their awfull product. (Note: they are still selling it as the "...the most advanced automated and recurring billing software on the market...", what a scam !!!)
    Nowadays, it seems they are more interested by their new product: dnzoom.com and to earn prizes in the domain name competition.

Hopefully for our customers, we left this sinking ship a long time ago.
    First time I've heard of it - seems quite interesting. I've personally long wondered what has been keeping MB busy, guess I now know

Guess my three MB licenses are literally worthless now if this is true.
    Alasdair

Quote Originally Posted by tickedon View Post
    ...Guess my three MB licenses are literally worthless now if this is true.
    What should we say about our 13?
    Don't you remember?

Quote Originally Posted by WebDomain.com View Post
    What should we say about our 13?
    Don't you remember?
    Oh I do Just that (as per my post in that thread) they previously allowed the smaller 100/250/1000 customer licenses to be resold in most cases (which two of my licenses fall into), always at their discretion though. Now that they are preventing all and any transfers, they are surely only months away from self-destruct...

Sad day when it happens. Think of all the hosts that have used MB and become successful. In it's day, it was the best thing around.
    Alasdair

Oh I do Just that (as per my post in that thread) they previously allowed the smaller 100/250/1000 customer licenses to be resold (which two of my licenses fall into). Now that they are preventing all and any transfers, they are surely only months away from self-destruct...

Sad day when it happens. Think of all the hosts that have used MB and become successful. In it's day, it was the best thing around.
    Agreed.

OddFact- Per the annoucement Tyler Posted here and then the End User Agreement
    3. NO RIGHT TO TRANSFER.

You may not rent, lease, lend, or in any way distribute or transfer any rights in this EULA or the Software Product to third parties without Moderngigabyte's written approval and subject to written agreement by the recipient of the terms of this EULA.
    Brett Meadors

I guess they harvest what they seeded.
    Anyway, my thoughts are more with all hosts that could have succeeded without Modernbill.

In another world, these guys would have been tared and feathered.

3. NO RIGHT TO TRANSFER.

You may not rent, lease, lend, or in any way distribute or transfer any rights in this EULA or the Software Product to third parties without Moderngigabyte's written approval and subject to written agreement by the recipient of the terms of this EULA.
    it is their software and they can do whatever that like.

also this is NOT new. they did not stop anything. this is their old policy which is i believe pretty standard.
    Last edited by hcn; 01-22-2008 at 05:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hcn View Post
    it is their software and they can do whatever that like.

also this is NOT new. they did not stop anything. this is their old policy which is i believe pretty standard.
    Their EULA has always said no transfers, but, for a long time transfers were happening pretty often. As per the rather long thread involving webdomain.com, they later changed this to 'no unlimited licenses may be transferred' after V5's release (and used more of their "discretion" to say no). Now they've gone to no transfers (as judged by recent update to WHT advertising forum rules, with comments from a MB manager (I believe) on the no-transfers rule now in effect).

Coupled with this, updating sales tickets from months ago asking if people are still interested, and the lack of 'excitement' here regarding V5 (going all the way to down-right slating it), it doesn't take someone with an IQ of 150 to figure out what's possibly happening

I got out of the host billing industry last year, and I certainly hold no grudges against Modernbill (far from it - I hold much respect for some of the guys there) - they were at one point the best, and it's sad to see these apparent problems. They moved their focus away from the 'little guys' that gave them so much business and success, allowed someone else to barge in (WHMCS) during a time of much-unrest (across the host billing industry, not just with MB), and now seem to be paying for it quite literally.
    Last edited by tickedon; 01-22-2008 at 05:40 PM.
    Alasdair

Even when I used Modernbill in 2003 it was still pretty confusing, we switched to WHM Autopilot and it was a lot easier. Modernbill is still pretty confusing today.
    Nationhosts, LLC
    http://www.nationhosts.com
    "Nationwide hosting solutions"

Quote Originally Posted by NationHosts View Post
    Even when I used Modernbill in 2003 it was still pretty confusing, we switched to WHM Autopilot and it was a lot easier. Modernbill is still pretty confusing today.
    Modernbill has always been confusing to setup, use and administrate. That's one of it's key downfalls. Users complain about it, and they say "we're working on it", but every release is more and more confusing, until, as with v5, it just becomes so much of a chore it's pretty near unusable.

As for license transfers, I was aware of the 'unlimited license' change when v5 came into play, but not of the recent changes. That pretty much seals the deal for them. They're essentially trying to keep themselves alive. Next thing you know they'll be allowing PAID license transfers, and charging a good bit to do this.

Modernbill is pretty much history anyways. v5 was a flop, they just haven't come out and said "we quit" yet. They're trying to keep a sinking ship afloat, but it's just not going to work without major, major overhauls to the system.
    WHMCS Guru - WHMCS addons, management, support and more.
    WHMCS Notifications Extended - Add slack, hipchat, SMS, pushover to WHMCS !!
    Always looking for Linux, WHMCS, Support Desk work. PM for details

Actually, ModernBill is actually being very proactive throughout the most recent weeks and has significantly improved many of the issues with version 5. Support responsiveness has improved as well as the quality of the script. Sure they've lost a share of the market but that doesn't mean they're going to fail.
    Stephen Preissler
    Modern Advisors - A Certified Plesk Billing Reseller

We offer Plesk Billing Licenses, Configuration, Migrations, Consultation & Customization

A little too late to be 'improving' v5, really. They dug the hole there quite some time back, and it keeps getting deeper and deeper and deeper.

Of course, I'd expect a representative of modernbill (read: someone who makes money off their products ) to deny that the company is failing, can't have things looking bad for your own company.
    WHMCS Guru - WHMCS addons, management, support and more.
    WHMCS Notifications Extended - Add slack, hipchat, SMS, pushover to WHMCS !!
    Always looking for Linux, WHMCS, Support Desk work. PM for details

Quote Originally Posted by ModernAdvisors View Post
    Actually, ModernBill is actually being very proactive throughout the most recent weeks and has significantly improved many of the issues with version 5. Support responsiveness has improved as well as the quality of the script. Sure they've lost a share of the market but that doesn't mean they're going to fail.
    Well, when you lose your entire clientbase in a few months it frees up a lot of spare time. I'm sure they'll get even more responsive as they near the end: Maybe they'll even start listening to clients!
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Well, when you lose your entire clientbase in a few months it frees up a lot of spare time.
    Is that true?

Modernbill, as a company, are dishonest. Period. They told me we could sell our "unlimited" license, and then they changed their rules and told us we could not.

That is dishonest.

Any company that puts profit ahead of their integrity, is going to eventually go down. This is just another example.

Even with their crappy v5, ModernBill could have hung onto their market share IF they had treated their customers with respect and integrity. Instead, they decided to treat us like we owe THEM something.. and this showed in the reaction to v5 and then the mass exodus from their product.

My only question now is to whom ModernBill is going to be sold.
    Want to sell domain names? Sign up today for an eNom.com reseller account from a trusted eNom ETP provider.
    * We provide support and service to over 3245 happy eNom domain name and SSL certificate resellers!

Quote Originally Posted by mrzippy View Post
    My only question now is to whom ModernBill is going to be sold.
    My only question is who would want to buy them

Despite having large number of license sales, I would guess only a small fraction still actually use MB. Any buyer would be far better starting from scratch (they'd pretty much have to anyway...) or buying one of the current successful products.

Personally I'd like to think SWSoft would be sniffing around - would then give them a complete stack of billing software to match their control panel software, no matter whether it's a tiny host or a large enterprise. They seem to have the cash, and, they couldn't exactly make the situation any worse.
    Alasdair