Recomend a new host please

Just spent three days going round in circles looking for a new host.
    I'm at my wits end with my present host

I'm either looking for a vps or shared hosting
    I run a vbulletin forum, several static web sites plus I have two directories that I have recently started to set up

My forum is hosted on a separate server to the two directories

It seems to be every time you see a host offering something good, a few checks later and your back to square one

I have no idea about a vps so please be gentle and word the talk about them as though your dealing with a complete idiot

Seen a couple of adverts on here, one is for geek storage and the other is solar
    But being new to the idea of running a vps, I have no idea what I am looking at.
    The only control panel I have ever used is cPanel and there also seem a lot of different versions of linux on offer

Thanks for any help

If you are worried of going back to square one you may want to get a dedicated server. The benefits are, you are the only site on that server, you can use up all of the bandwidth for your site only, you don't have to worry about someone monitoring your server resources (CPU, RAM, HD i/o, ETC). I guess it would depend how much you are willing to spend. What is your budget and how much disk space and bandwidth do you need?
    www.DMEHosting.com - DME Hosting LLC | Servers, KVM/OpenVZ VPS's, Email Hosting, Web Hosting

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy059 View Post
    If you are worried of going back to square one you may want to get a dedicated server. The benefits are, you are the only site on that server, you can use up all of the bandwidth for your site only, you don't have to worry about someone monitoring your server resources (CPU, RAM, HD i/o, ETC). I guess it would depend how much you are willing to spend. What is your budget and how much disk space and bandwidth do you need?
    Can you recommend some good hosts?

Dedicated Servers - http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36

Their's some pretty good deals there. Also, do you have a knowledge of running a dedicated server? If not, look for a managed dedicated server. People will install and run everything for you. However, if you have the time to learn then that would be your best bet. It's always good to learn how to manage a server in my eye's.
    www.DMEHosting.com - DME Hosting LLC | Servers, KVM/OpenVZ VPS's, Email Hosting, Web Hosting

At the moment I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place.
    I'm only doing about 4gig of bandwidth a month, making enough to cover my web space from google adds.

So I don't really want to spend more than about $40 a month on hosting at present

If you are only doing 4gb monthly transfer then every shared host can meet your requirements. In that case you can pay $10 for a good shared hosting plan and the $30 for advertising the sites.

The killer I have at present is the mysql.connect_timeout
    On my present host thats set to 60 and after waiting about ten days for a support ticket to be answered, I got informed that they could not alter it.
    I would rather pay a bit more for hosting to have stable web space, than take advantage of the everything is shiny type deals that are out at present.
    Once bitten twice shy in my case

Hence looking at the vps deals, but being in the dark as to what you can expect for your money

Even running rss feeds creates server gone on vacation messages at present

Why do you need such a high mysql.connect_timeout? You have a lot of slow connections?

Also if you have no idea about running your own server i suggest you stay away from anything that has dedicated in it's title as it'll turn into a headache
    Cheapest Multiple C Class IP Hosting

$40 a month is plenty to get yourself a good host for the needs that you must have. You don't use that much disk space, and you do not use that much bandwidth. It's to bad your host is about to lose a valuable customer such as yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Some one else View Post
    The killer I have at present is the mysql.connect_timeout
    On my present host thats set to 60 and after waiting about ten days for a support ticket to be answered, I got informed that they could not alter it.
    I would rather pay a bit more for hosting to have stable web space, than take advantage of the everything is shiny type deals that are out at present.
    Once bitten twice shy in my case

Hence looking at the vps deals, but being in the dark as to what you can expect for your money

Even running rss feeds creates server gone on vacation messages at present
    Your site may not be suitable to be hosted under shared hosting environment.

A VPS will be a more appropriate choice. You can get a VPS with cpanel easily under $40 a month.

Do you know how to manage a server? VPS come with either managed or unmanaged. If you are not sure and have no ideas how to manage a server, it is better to get a managed vps.. it does cost more, for this case.
    Affordable Managed Hosting Solutions for Professional & Business since 2001
    Mxhub.com - Global : USA - UK - Canada - Europe - Asia Pacific

At the moment I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place.
    I'm only doing about 4gig of bandwidth a month, making enough to cover my web space from google adds.

So I don't really want to spend more than about $40 a month on hosting at present
    It seems that shared account is ok for you and you dio not overload the server and do not overuse the memory. As far as I understand all issues you have is due to the MSQL connections issues.
    Your current web host have exact number of connections and it couldn't be changed for the separate account. You have to understand.
    I think that you have to reconsider shared offers. IMO
    Good luck.
    ServerPoint.com - a true hosting company offering online presence solutions since 1998.
    >>Web Hosting, colocation, dedicated servers and virtual private dedicated servers.
    >>>>Wholly owned multi homed network, servers and facilities.

Your script seems to be problematic. Disable plugins, install fresh files etc, and try again. I think you don't need a VPS, just a bug free script.
    Fraud Record - Stop Fraud Clients, Report Abusive Customers.
    █ Combine your efforts to fight misbehaving clients.

HarzemDesign - Highest quality, well designed and carefully coded hosting designs. Not cheap though.
    █ Large and awesome portfolio, just visit and see!

Paying for a server and management fees would put you well beyond your stated $40 budget. A VPS is also going to require server and cPanel knowledge as you will have to harden the VPS from a security point of view. This could lead to management fees again for a VPS.

A VPS or dedicated server will also require ongoing updates and software maintenenace. That's going to be a steep learning curve for someone with no server experience.

As others have mentioned keep looking in a shared hosting enviroment, your are not really using much resources.

Best Of Luck,
    Chris
    www.postasite.net- Affordable, Reliable U.S/U.K Web Hosting.
    Cpanel | Domain Name Registration | SSL Certificates.
    In business since 2003

Have you considered a 'reseller' account?
    check out the forum here at WHT

A quick update on this.

I have gone down the VPS route
    The host was found on here and their deal along with good name on the forum is what helped me decide to take the final leap.

Tech support answering tickets is fast. Within in thirteen minutes of putting in a support ticket on the lowest level of priority, the ticket was answered and everything mentioned had been checked out

I am now another satisfied customer and supporter of Solar VPS

And if this forum did not exist, I doubt I would have found them

Big thumbs up on two accounts

I am looking for your Solar VPS interview after few months.