Backup Virtuozzo, WHM, Cpanel

Hello,

I currently have vps and have the 3 interfaces Virtuozzo, WHM, Cpanel and not sure which method is best for backing up? Is there a difference in the way each one backs up?

Thanks for the info.

It all depends on what information your trying to backup. I personally like rsyncing my data to an offsite location such as bqbackup.com

Talking Rsync & True Image

Quote Originally Posted by cdeatherage View Post
    Hello,

I currently have vps and have the 3 interfaces Virtuozzo, WHM, Cpanel and not sure which method is best for backing up? Is there a difference in the way each one backs up?
    I'm using rsync for these 3 CPs environment in VPS & boxes. But the best method is a bare metal image; if you have money for buy this expensive soft, I recommend: Acronis True Image for Linux. Well, VZPP does snapshots, but if you are a VPS customer in fact you are not the owner of these images, because in generally it is not stored in your external backup server but in the VPS provider's NOC. Using Acronis you can do snapshots and store it in your own backup server...
    The-REV, OS/2 Guru
    http://macarloshark.com/
    Trusted Since 1997
    Blog: http://my.opera.com/The-REV/blog/

I'm struggling with this same thing.

I only run personal sites (more or less), meaning I don't resell. I have two VPS's. My primary (zone.net) that I run a vbulletin community on and then a second VPS (solarvps) that I run a few other sites, personal sites, email, etc., as well as a test vBulletin install.

I think I should be able to use the second VPS as an offsite storage for my first. Correct?

However, I am struggling to come up with the best backup options. I have been manually kicking off cpanel full backups on the vBulletin cpanal account, and also have a MySQL dump being created via a cron jop twice a day.

I like the Cpanel full backups for the quick reload if needed, using the WHM Cpanel account restore feature.

Where I am confused, is the best way to use the WHM backup. It seems to do daily, weekly and monthly backups, but does it keep seven days worth, or only the last day? Is having the WHM backup done to a VPS located at a different location (zone = Dallas, Solar = NJ I think) a good or bad idea?

Any pointers on a good backup strategy would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I have been negligent on backing up the cpanel accounts data on my Solar VPS, so I really need a strategy for bot. Any ideas?

Easy as pie,

Order remote backup space from your host, or another host.

Get them to setup a cron to rsync the Virtouzzo Backup (Entire VPS Backup) to the remote backup space, then configure WHM to do backups to the remote backup space you then have a backup of your entire VPS if it crashes, and backups of user accounts for individual restores.
    Nick | BudgetVM
    1G | 10G | 40G | 100G Baremetal Servers
    Featuring Best in Class - In House DDOS Protection - No Voxility

Quote Originally Posted by Nick.Rose View Post
    Easy as pie,

Order remote backup space from your host, or another host.

Get them to setup a cron to rsync the Virtouzzo Backup (Entire VPS Backup) to the remote backup space, then configure WHM to do backups to the remote backup space you then have a backup of your entire VPS if it crashes, and backups of user accounts for individual restores.
    Can I use The two VPS's to backup each other? Meaning, create an area on VPS2 to have WHM backup VPS1's files?

CDP Backups Prevail

Hello,

VPS platforms can benefit from CDP (Continuous Data Protection) backups. CDP allows for near-realtime backups without interrupting server functions. The load on the server is very low and, unlike rsync, file count is not an issue. CDP backups also offer full point-in-time bare-metal restores.

Here are some other features of CDP backups:

* Bare-Metal Disaster Recovery
    * High Performance
    * Small Backup Windows
    * Open File Backups
    * Snapshots
    * Near Continuous Backups
    * Compression
    * End-to-end strong encryption
    * Data Integrity (All restore data is MD5 verified)

Thanks!
    =>Admo.net Managed Hosting
    => Managed Hosting • Dedicated Servers • Colocation
    => Dark Fiber Access to 1102 Grand, Multiple Public Providers
    => Over •Sixteen• Years of Service

Quote Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
    Can I use The two VPS's to backup each other? Meaning, create an area on VPS2 to have WHM backup VPS1's files?
    You can however I do not recommend doing this, as it will use alot of space and could affect performance for your customers and greatly slow down the network connectivity.
    Nick | BudgetVM
    1G | 10G | 40G | 100G Baremetal Servers
    Featuring Best in Class - In House DDOS Protection - No Voxility