View Poll Results: Do typos on a site matter?

Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
  • Not at all. They're irrelevant.

2 2.53%
  • They matter a little, but I can mostly ignore them.

5 6.33%
  • They matter a lot, and make a site look unprofessional.

48 60.76%
  • They're crucial. One typo on a site, and I'm gone.

24 30.38%

Do spelling mistakes or typos on a site matter?

In a recent thread (http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=664176), there was some debate over whether typos on a site matter, especially when making a decision about buying from that site.

Do typos on a site matter to you?
    Last edited by bear; 01-21-2008 at 12:37 AM.

It definitely does matter.

I won't order from a site with grammar/spelling mistakes. Don't be lazy, and fix your mistakes!

Would you "seriously consider" and applicant who gave you a resume with spelling mistakes?

Typos on a site make it look unprofessional. Saying that, in the hosting business, I would rather have someone with a few typos on their site and steller support than someone that has steller grammer but no support skills what-so ever.

Case in point, and I am not meaning to bash him at all, Rus (a2b2) does not have the *best* grammer but he certainly knows his stuff, as such I could overlook the few times he mis-spelt something as I knew he was more a tech than a writer.

Paul

Viewing a few typos on a site is like sitting down with a salesperson for a meeting who has a stain on his shirt, a couple buttons missing an a hole in his pants. My immediate response is "if this guy takes such poor care of himself, what does this say about his business or how his company takes care of its customers?"

A typo or two happens. I can get past that without too much difficulty, particularly on a larger site. But after the first couple, the site loses credibility with me very quickly.
    Studio1337___̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__Web Design

I'm not super anal about spelling or grammatical errors, but once you pass 2 or 3 on the same page, It makes the owner of the company look lazy, or extremely young. If it was a blog or content based site it wouldn't bother me much.
    Looking for Work level 1-3 Support Tech, Sales/billing tech, Odd management Jobs, and PHP/Mysql small jobs.
    PM me or drop me an email at mm(AT)gotannex(dot)com
    http://monitor.gotannex.com/

I can overlook one, but any more, I either start looking for more typos (thus ignoring the true content), or I leave.
    If you don’t like the road you’re walking on, start paving a new one.

grammar appropriations seem crucial because they can stick out so much and it can cause a subconscious and conscious stimuli saying that the writer seems uneducated so it seems that they wont know about what your buying.

Now one thing that will easily overrule that is word of mouth and reputation.If comcast had a spelling mistake on their website,that won't hinder their selling opportunities at all due to their reputation and stature. (not saying they are good or bad but they are big.)

I have seen web sites, not web hosting related which have spelling mistakes and that turned out that they do that more for SEO. But this trick is used only on pages which is more visited with bots not for reading.
    ServerPoint.com - a true hosting company offering online presence solutions since 1998.
    >>Web Hosting, colocation, dedicated servers and virtual private dedicated servers.
    >>>>Wholly owned multi homed network, servers and facilities.

I have seen web sites, not web hosting related which have spelling mistakes and that turned out that they do that more for SEO. But this trick is used only on pages which is more visited with bots not for reading.
    Now you mention it, I have seen one site that made use of common typos in finding site rips and content rips.

Paul

Well my spelling, grammer in a forum is cr*p.

In 'real business' inc. business web sites, errors are not acceptable, they happen & should be corrected ASAP.

Non business sites I could not give a damm about.

One thing that is troublesome in 'our industry' is the differences between:
    US - English, UK - English and 'Other - English', compromises have to be made.

as far as SEO goes, I would suggest deliberate typos can & should remain
    either invissable, or very well hidden [alt text for example].

I think its important to have proper grammar and spelling but mistakes do happen.
    My Blog - www.Bakie.net
    My Entertainment site - www.SpudMud.com

I have been in the publishing and print media industry where the 'printer's devil' was always around making sure we miss the typos. In the print media once the print run is completed there was no way we could correct the typos so we learnt to live with it.

I think they do matter quite a bit, as it creates a professional look.

They matter a lot, but we're all human, and typos will happen whether you have a 50 person QA team, or have no QA team at all. I voted for third option.
    IntelliSerp - The most accurate and intelligent keyword rank tracking software.

if you are in this business and you are still having typos, you should probably be working at mcdonalds, where typos dont really matter.

Well if they didn't take the time to use spell check...i think they deserve a bad rating
    But for professionalism yes it is very important..
    Who is this infamous HTML i keep hearing of, is she cute?

With forum posting I'm lazy and put a lot of.....or call people peeps etc.

However, when it comes to clients' work and suchlike, then it's the first impressions that last the longest. I mean, how could I bill clients for big money to carry out work on on their projects, when they look at my work and see a lot of typos.

Professional to the extreme.

owm
    ‹(¿)›
    Life's what you make it.

I can overlook a couple of typos, but more than 1 or 2 and I won't buy. The thing that REALLY turns me off is poor grammar. If I have to go back and read a sentence a second or third time to figure out what the heck you mean...forget it.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

I answered "They matter a little, but I can mostly ignore them." as, for the most part, people don't notice them.

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
    // Extra Moose - Modern Web Design with Usability in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Hastings View Post
    I answered "They matter a little, but I can mostly ignore them." as, for the most part, people don't notice them.

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
    Word wise - you / they make a valid point, but ouch, that grammer grinds !

That's the view of Brain, anyway - -

GRAMMAR

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

I think it depends on where the typo is. For example, in this title Search On For Biopolar Girl, Boyfriend with them misspelling the title, that is something to consider. If they misspelled it in the story it would be a different matter.

It happens from time to time, from us typing to fast to just plain not knowing how to spell the word(s). Larger companies usually have others who proof everything before it goes out, heck some of them even have attorneys read everything. But we are humans and can make a few mistakes from time to time

Typos are certainly not acceptable to me. It looks very very unprofessional.

At the most ONE typo is fine. But, the next one appears and am GONE!

I even take great care while posting on forums but, leave a typo here and there

But, with clients - NO NOT AT ALL - It should be perfect.
    One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them

For me it matters, like in words or sentence construction, few characters could give different meaning.

I know and realize that everyone makes mistakes, so one or (maybe) two typos aren't that big of a deal. But wen pepul start typng liek dis, then I think about going elsewhere to conduct my business.

Quote Originally Posted by AH-Tina View Post
    GRAMMAR

--Tina
    Leave GranMa out of this !

You passed the test !

For me, the amount of effort a company puts into their website can be indicative of the quality of their service. More than 1 or 2 typos seems to show a lack of care and professionalism.

I awn a gud hasting buzinez and I wuhnt yuo to geew your muhney 4 mee plz i weell geev u as many rasosez az u wantz.
    As for me, good grammar is critical. He who can't write good, cannot have good business.

I personally hate spelling mistakes on a site. I make sure my blog is professional looking and spelling mistakes don't help achieve a pro look at all. So to me its important. One mistake is understandable, if you're in a hurry, but we have so many spell checkers whats the excuse for making 5 or so in a post?

They matter! Just got to look pro so they need to be right!
    TeraByteWebSolutions Fast, Efficient, Reliable, Affordable
    Shared + Reseller Hosting
    Click HERE for live help now!
    New Dell Quad Core Servers in Action!

Yes it matters a lot. I am always worried when correct English spelling or grammar isn't used.

Nothing is a bigger turn off than typos