* Difference for Support of Softlayer & Planet

Dear All,

What is the difference between softlayer and theplanet's support which they both offer in free of charge.

Any body which is not having much experience of managing all of the server and using one from the both?

Will see you with good replies.

Umer
    <<signatures need to be setup in your profile>>
    Last edited by sirius; 01-20-2008 at 12:59 PM.

Neither of them offer any server management for free. So they are equally zero. This is why they call themselves "unmanaged"
    Fraud Record - Stop Fraud Clients, Report Abusive Customers.
    █ Combine your efforts to fight misbehaving clients.

HarzemDesign - Highest quality, well designed and carefully coded hosting designs. Not cheap though.
    █ Large and awesome portfolio, just visit and see!

I left ThePlanet after it toke them close to 28 hours to type
    Code:
    netsh firewall set opmode mode=DISABLE profile=DOMAIN
    in command prompt.

When you have real serious issues, softlayers help department might slack, because they don't care what you write in the ticket knowing the issue yourself but they wan't to inspect everything according to their book making the downtime take way much longer than it should.

So both are ZERO as said by Harzem. So which is best in term of getting support on time for the serios issue?

Dear Vipeax,

Now which company you are using after lefting THEPLANET?

I still have Softlayer servers, but I could also really recommend volumedrive.

In terms of hardware support, Softlayer is good enough to make you happy.
    Fraud Record - Stop Fraud Clients, Report Abusive Customers.
    █ Combine your efforts to fight misbehaving clients.

HarzemDesign - Highest quality, well designed and carefully coded hosting designs. Not cheap though.
    █ Large and awesome portfolio, just visit and see!

Hello,

Softlayer take care of the server issue, but the charge you 3$ to resolve and I found that the pretty good.

Thanks

Softlayer is pretty good with the price and hardware. it's all unmanaged and you can sign up with some outsourced server management team like platinum server management. they will take care of your server.

I'm happy with TP at the moment.

Currently in the middle of of unresponsive server issue right now. Submitted an outage ticket, and a tech replied 15 minutes later that hes looking into it.

The best thing I can say about The Planet and Softlayer support is I never needed help from their tech support. The hardware and network are excellent. You don't need support if everything is fine (unmanaged servers). Said that, I like more The Planet chat/ticket approach than Softlayer ticket only approach with automatic canned messsages.

PS: ~20 months with Softlayer and ~4 months with TP.
    Last edited by dotHostel; 01-20-2008 at 01:01 PM.
    You will only find out how good a provider is when the going gets tough

Quote Originally Posted by cheyenne1212 View Post
    I'm happy with TP at the moment.

Currently in the middle of of unresponsive server issue right now. Submitted an outage ticket, and a tech replied 15 minutes later that hes looking into it.

Hope you have very good time and good luck, normally theplanet guys reply within 15 minutes only if you had not paid for the servers or this will never happen.

Normal response time i faced is 4-6 days ( that also we have go into chat and ask them to answer), as an average, only one ticket answered in one day.

Softlayer guys will answer surely within an hour or two, mostly the answer will solve the issue and wont prolong the tickets, in my experience.

Volumedrive josh also answers quickly and try to satisfy the customers at any cost, but nowadays their network is giving lot of issues

Quote Originally Posted by brox View Post
    Softlayer is pretty good with the price and hardware. it's all unmanaged and you can sign up with some outsourced server management team like platinum server management. they will take care of your server.
    i agree with you .some datacenters i dont want to make them bad advert they charge you for managing the server but when you have a big problem they vharge you 100 dollars per hour so i rate softlayer 8.5/10

Quote Originally Posted by serverdetailer View Post

Normal response time i faced is 4-6 days ( that also we have go into chat and ask them to answer), as an average, only one ticket answered in one day.

Volumedrive josh also answers quickly and try to satisfy the customers at any cost, but nowadays their network is giving lot of issues
    4-6 days that's weird. lot of reviews are coming about TP now a days, both positive and negative. but i don't have any direct experience with them. 4-6 days of response time is not acceptable at all.

yes, Volumedrive has got some good reviews here. if you are considering companies than SL and TP, then you may check Gigenet also. i have a managed server with them and they are doing a pretty good job. but SL is in the Top of this list in this thread and if you have a good budget , purchase one cPanel server from them and sign up with PSM. you are safe.

I guess Volumedrive is colocated in BurstNet. It is not in the same league as SL and TP.

Not entirely the case. We maintain our own private suite and offices located within that facility. We also have our secondary data center located in lower Manhattan NYC.
    Fast SSD Dedicated Servers || 24/7 365 Support || Money-Back Guarantee
    Dedicated Servers || Colocation || IP Transit
    Need to get in touch? Drop us an email at info[at]quadix.co

Softlayer is great in any terms of support, and I would, BY FAR recommend them over theplanet. As for VolumeDrive, never used them so I can not say.

As for softlayer, this is a general list of what they offer for free, however, I can personally say I have had many things done for myself by them not listed:

standard support Free
    SoftLayer provides complimentary standard support on all servers
    and services as delivered. Server administration is the end user
    responsibility. Standard support is free and includes the following:

• Accounting & Billing Questions
    • Sales Inquiries & Upgrades
    • Network Questions & Troubleshooting
    • Hardware Questions & Troubleshooting
    • Server Reboots and Console Access
    • OS Reloads & Control Panel Additions
    • Questions on SoftLayer Delivered Services
    • Portal Information, Issues, & Questions
    ^^ = Right off their website.
    \\\\ High Performance Business Grade LiteSpeed Hosting
    //// Shared \|/ Reseller \|/ Dedicated \|/ Custom Tailored Solutions \|/ Domains \|/ SSL Certs
    \\\\ get WIRED \|/ general(AT)wiredwebwork.com \|/ 240-670-HOST
    //// True Quality 24/7 support(Chat, Email, Ticket) 9-5 est. phone support

For what SL charge $3/ticket? I need details about it.

Server administration. They are pretty good with it too and very quick, much better than some of these 3rd party management companies for sure. At 3 bucks per request it might be a much better option than paying 100 bucks + for a supposedly decent management service.
    My education is finally over at 28... But now I am looking for a full time job and tru lurrv...
    Have you found the WHT rules & guidelines? Took me 4 years!

Quote Originally Posted by James Lee View Post
    100 bucks + for a supposedly decent management service.
    100 bucks + ???

I have a managed core2duo server with Gigenet and i am paying only 129$ for a managed service. also it's only 30$ for PSM. i don't know about SL per ticket support and how their response is. so someone here would may light on this.

Quote Originally Posted by brox View Post
    100 bucks + ???

I have a managed core2duo server with Gigenet and i am paying only 129$ for a managed service. also it's only 30$ for PSM. i don't know about SL per ticket support and how their response is. so someone here would may light on this.
    Surely its possible to have managed server for $100.

Option 1: Buy from superbhosting.net now they have 2 for 1 offer and you will have a server for less than $50 ( we have 2 servers for $94) and get the management package from a admin company ( we have with dedicatedplace.com. If you are comfortable with direct admin get a lifetime license for $89 and install in this server now you will have a managed server within $100

Option 2: Buy a server from volumedrive.com AMD X2 dual core for $65 and get a management package, now also you can get the same for less than $100.

Option 3: Buy a server from galacnet.com for $50 and get managed by some one same price

Option 4: Buy a server from getflorida for $50 and get it managed by someone

Like this there are lot of options under $100 as of now.

Any Reliable from Listed Below

Quote Originally Posted by serverdetailer View Post
    Surely its possible to have managed server for $100.

Option 1: Buy from superbhosting.net now they have 2 for 1 offer and you will have a server for less than $50 ( we have 2 servers for $94) and get the management package from a admin company ( we have with dedicatedplace.com. If you are comfortable with direct admin get a lifetime license for $89 and install in this server now you will have a managed server within $100

Option 2: Buy a server from volumedrive.com AMD X2 dual core for $65 and get a management package, now also you can get the same for less than $100.

Option 3: Buy a server from galacnet.com for $50 and get managed by some one same price

Option 4: Buy a server from getflorida for $50 and get it managed by someone

Like this there are lot of options under $100 as of now.
    Any reliable company from the list?

Quote Originally Posted by umer View Post
    Any reliable company from the list?
    I think Superb (founded in 1996) is a big corporation. Probably Superb is bigger than Softlayer.

There are also Sago Networks and OLM (founded in 1996) selling value servers under $100 as well many others reputable data centers around the world.
    Last edited by dotHostel; 01-21-2008 at 10:10 AM.

Who said that volumedrive and managemybox are good, i placed emails for the new server question they did not reply till now and it is about a week going to pass.

How we expect any good support from these 2 providers?

I said volumedrive, and it never toke longer than 10 minutes for me. Maybe a spam folder, wrong address...

10 mins? i think you are lucky or may be you are Exaggerating. i contacted them before 2 months and i got an answer only after 24 hours from Josh. he said it will take 4-5 business days to set up the server. i purchased an account from gigenet and i got the server up within 4 hours. i really suggest Gigenet if you are still searching for managed server. they really great with good decent support.

Unfortunatley, we are sold out of servers at the moment and are running
    about a 4 - 5 business day setup time. Please let me know if you have
    any questions.

Best Regards,
    Josh B.
    VolumeDrive Sales

Burstnet has always slow in delivering servers, but the email responds from Josh/Jeff was fast, but I guess I am lucky. Anyway, it was about SL & PL. Which I still vote for SL.

Yes, You are lucky than me

anyway his last post seems that he is searching outside TP & SL also. that is why i suggested Giganet. from the TP and SL. i always suggest SL.

Yes I get your point, I just wanted to stop talking about VD.com here .
    Also, is their (gigenet) "X4" management a good solution?

Hi vipeax,

to be frank, i didn't selected any of the management from there. i am totally a beginner on Linux. i got an offer from the offers forum here. they set up the server within 3,4 hours and everything is fine for me. they always answered the support emails within 2,3 mins and they are just providing a descent support. they helped me to move the big cPanel accounts from my old server to Gigenet. they were so friendly also while on support chat. i never paid for any support like X4 or Express. but i am getting a good descent support from them. chris armer and Andy Thomas both are excellent

I see, thanks for that .

I was looking at their AMD X2 3800+ server, to try them out (I never spend to much on a new host as I want to make sure they are worth it first). I could use a server in Chicago for a few Canadian friends so at that point it sounds nice. Just that they require 20$ for Windows web . 119$ vs 139$ wiieee!. Time for a chat with their support .

did you check the offers section? i got cPanel for free when i used the coupon code from here. there was an offer for Windows OS also. so may be they will still offer the same you. best of luck

umer, We have had a issue with our spam filter. Our apologies for the delayed response.

@ Vipeax, we do not resell Burst servers, we maintain our own hardware, equipment, staff, etc..
    Fast SSD Dedicated Servers || 24/7 365 Support || Money-Back Guarantee
    Dedicated Servers || Colocation || IP Transit
    Need to get in touch? Drop us an email at info[at]quadix.co

Thanks for the reply from VolumeDrive, i will look for the next low price server from you if you are offering well solution.

Quote Originally Posted by umer View Post
    Who said that volumedrive and managemybox are good, i placed emails for the new server question they did not reply till now and it is about a week going to pass.

How we expect any good support from these 2 providers?
    A ticket would never sit in our queue that long. Do you have the Issue ID that was opened?
    ManageMyServices was sold by me in September 2009. I no longer have any affiliation with this company.