Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

i'm a happy new geekstorage.com customer

I am just dropping in my week one positive review of geekstorage.com. I migrated my two domains to them earlier this week from vistapages.com, after having been with vistapages.com for two years.

I had to endure too many growing pains with vistapages, and I am on a tight budget, so was looking for something similar to what vistapages offered at a similar low price. Vistapages upgraded the server I was on in recent months and things had been a lot more stable, so I was about to give up my search and renew for two years with them until I clicked on the geekstorage.com link in one of Jays posts here.

Immediately I was intrigued by their name and site design, and then even more so when I saw their offerings. I really like how they don't have a typical commercial looking site and feel. After looking at maybe a hundred or more hosting services on the web that all look the same, it was honestly a refreshing experience. I know that's not a technical point really, but I guess the geek look and talk just appealed to my geek nature.

I've learned by spending time here at WHT, and from two years with vistapages to be skeptical and that whatever host I end up with that I need to be prepared to get what (in my case very little) I pay for, so I try not to have high expectations and just hope that I get pleasantly surprised by good enough service that I can endure, or maybe better. I have definitely been pleasantly surprised so far by geekstorage.com.

They handled all my pre-sales questions well, and thanks to their current 25% off coupon code available here at WHT, I got their developer plan for $4.50 per month, which fits in perfectly for me, where my sites are low traffic (currently under 2 gigs transfer for the month), but I have plenty of room for growth with them if I need it, and in pretty much whatever way I may need or want to grow.

I gave Geekstorage my login info for vistapages, and they migrated my domains for me the same day I signed up (3 gigs of data, a menalto gallery/database, a couple wordpress databases, etc...), they just plugged it all straight in and I was up and running that evening. I sure enjoyed not having to lift a finger! (thanks again to Geekstorage for that)

I made a mistake and changed my nameserver addresses when I didn't really need to (I had been using zoneedit.com and could have just left it that way), and that change caused me a day of down time on one of my addon domains, which always sucks, but that was obviously my fault, and they were completely responsive and polite to my unnecessary questions that I kept emailing to them...

The one minor issue after the move was because of the lack of Litespeed support for shtml, but they went to work on that right away when I reported it to them, and for me it was just for a little toy script I have anyway, and I had some php code as a workaround for it (for random text display), so no biggy there, but more importantly what I learned from the issue was that as far as customer service goes, these guys are on top of it, and have kept me posted with regular emails on the status...

I've noticed that the server speed is great with them for my sites and better than what I had. With vistapages it used to be a real drag going to make wordpress posts and stuff because the control panel was so sluggish, and there was always high cpu use at all times. This is not the case where I am now, at least not for now... I know there isn't nearly as much traffic or sites on the shared server I am on now as there was with vistapages.com, and I am going to enjoy that as long as it lasts!

Anyhow, I am very happy with my choice so far, and completely recommend if you are looking for a low budget shared host to go with these guys.

if you are curious about my sites, here they are:

http://www.tmphillips.com
    http://www.brightfuturestutoring.com

If you want to see my wordpress blog that gets the most traffic of any urls I have, it's located here:
    http://hope.tmphillips.com
    (about an adoption as my family is in the process of adopting a little girl from China)

Let us know how it is going at 6 months - 1 year, after the honeymoon is over.

Glad to hear you are happy now. A good start is always encouraging.

Bailey
    Let's Connect on Twitter! @thatsmsgeek2u || Fighting mediocrity one thread at a time.

Nice review, and I guess it's clear enough that you're recommending them under the reservation of a yet quite limited experience with them. Looks like compared to your former host, things are very much improved, which is great to hear.

Let us know how it is going at 6 months - 1 year, after the honeymoon is over.
    Honeymoon was great. Now we're... fine.

Oh, that wasn't about families, nor addressed to me!

Thanks for your initial review, we're glad you're enjoying going geek! Please keep us updated, we always love to hear how we can improve.
    * GeekStorage.com, LLC - Offering awesome website hosting for over 9 years!
    * Shared Hosting * Reseller Hosting * Pure SSD VPS * Managed Dedicated
    * Powered by Geeks... and SSD's! - You're in good hands, geek hands.
    * Have questions? Send us an e-mail, we'd love to hear from you!

"* Experience hosting over 20,000 websites since 2002."

But your domain name (GeekStorage.com) is registered in 2007! How come?

Quote Originally Posted by Costaud View Post
    "* Experience hosting over 20,000 websites since 2002."

But your domain name (GeekStorage.com) is registered in 2007! How come?
    That would be because I've been doing this for a lot longer than the time I've had GeekStorage. GeekStorage is new, but I'm not.
    * Powered by Geeks... and SSD's! - You're in good hands, geek hands.
    * Have questions? Send us an e-mail, we'd love to hear from you!

Ah, I thought it means GeekStorage is currently hosting over 20k sites.

Jay previously owned Netbunch.

Bailey
    Let's Connect on Twitter! @thatsmsgeek2u || Fighting mediocrity one thread at a time.

Yeah, DR2 and then NetBunch were great back in the day before the WHP sellout issues (and they have been discussed to death). I'm seriously considering trying out GeekStorage for one of my sites if the support team was as good as it was back then.

-Tim

I was going to get their Mini plan today but I noticed it's the only plan the is not using LiteSpeed.

I commited to a reseller plan with geekstorage last night. I was impressed with their customer service and the effort to answer all my many pre sales questions. That gave them a point to their favor for sure. I have had a horrid experience with Surfpeedy whim I had been with for 4 years. They sold out to Jumpline and went straight to you know where LOL. Geekstorage was supposed to migrate 30 of my accounts for me for free today but they had some technical issues and hopefully it will happen soon! I will be patient. After what I have been through with Surfspeedy hehehe I can be patient for a good service. One thing that attracted me to Geekstorage like the OP said above ...it was their website. What a neat website they have. I like it. One other point in their favor is the fact that hey have tech support numbers posted clearly on their site. I had almost signed with another company and noticed they did not have a tech support or business number listed. My friend that is a red flag to me. I am not doing business with a place that does not list a number.
    Techbydesign : Low cost basic webdesign and webhosting http://www.techbydesign.org .

Proceeds from Techbybydesign helps to fund my free animal placement service and private animal rescue. All animal rescues gets a discount off our already LOW prices.

i am about 16 days in now and still happy, even though there have been some minor outages over the last few days. i emailed GS tonight when email was down for a while and they responded promptly that they've been aware of the problem and are working with the datacenter to swap out a controller in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by tp71 View Post
    i am about 16 days in now and still happy, even though there have been some minor outages over the last few days. i emailed GS tonight when email was down for a while and they responded promptly that they've been aware of the problem and are working with the datacenter to swap out a controller in the morning.
    Yeah that is along the lines as to what they told me about the delay with my accounts. Like I said I will be patient. I think Geekstorage was the right way for me to go.
    Techbydesign : Low cost basic webdesign and webhosting http://www.techbydesign.org .

Proceeds from Techbybydesign helps to fund my free animal placement service and private animal rescue. All animal rescues gets a discount off our already LOW prices.

My domains have been down since last night (PST)... They had to replace the hard drive and they've just now got the OS reinstalled and can start copying files over... I am going to stick it out though, as I am sure we'll be smooth sailing for a while after this...

I am still patiently waiting as well. I am looking forward to being able to tell Surfspeedy/Jumpline to shove it LOL.

Domains are still not resolving for topic starter. Seems awfully long now!
    hi there!

Received this email from them:

We would like to touch base with everyone and let you know the status of the issues that've been experienced lately with the GeekStorage service. We have had a substantial amount of downtime tonight, and we will be offering a 7 day service credit to all accounts effected by the poor service quality & downtime over the past few days.

We have been in contact with the datacenter and we have narrowed down the issue to a failing hard disk, we had originally believed this problem to be related to the hard disk controller, but after switching to a new controller, it was apparent the hard disk itself was failing. In order to restore speedy service we have decided to switch to a new hard drive at this time and restore the system to the new drive. This is not a quick process unfortunately, and we expect approximately 4-8 hours of downtime to resolve this situation entirely. No data will be lost during this process.

In addition to the new hard drive, we are also upgrading the server memory in the system, to ensure we do not have to perform any more hardware-related maintenance in the near future.

As we know many of our users are service providers themselves, and any outage large or small can cause plenty of unrest. The head geeks at GeekStorage would like to thank you for your patience and understanding in this matter.

Quote Originally Posted by bithost(NET) View Post
    Jay previously owned Netbunch.

Bailey
    so, how about the netbunch? is it dead?

oh, i think we must be careful to this new company

Quote Originally Posted by melanjo View Post
    so, how about the netbunch? is it dead?
    I left Netbunch after they lost all data at my reseller account (only used for private purpose) because of a hacker attack. Unfortunately the hackers had also destroyed the back up files.

It is now 24 hours ago i received the above mentioned email: Service Outage Information" from Geekstorage.com. Hope my sites will soon be back again

Quote Originally Posted by melanjo View Post
    oh, i think we must be careful to this new company
    As per the owner of Geeks, it is not a new company. Only the domain is new.

Net
    Specially 4 You
    JoneSolutions.Com ( Jones.Solutions ) is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions and services since 2001

Quote Originally Posted by amygdela View Post
    Domains are still not resolving for topic starter. Seems awfully long now!
    Well, hardware issues do happen. Having them last for 48+ hours seems like a bit much though, it doesn't take that long to synchronize a drive to another. On the other hand I have no clue what drive capacities they're working with.

24+ hours of downtime is beyond unacceptable, to receive a 7 day credit for it to me would be offensive.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Well, hardware issues do happen. Having them last for 48+ hours seems like a bit much though, it doesn't take that long to synchronize a drive to another. On the other hand I have no clue what drive capacities they're working with.

24+ hours of downtime is beyond unacceptable, to receive a 7 day credit for it to me would be offensive.
    Unfortunately not every restore goes smoothly and we've definitely proven that with as many unforeseen issues that have arose while doing this one.

To update all of our geeks affected, we are currently in the middle of transferring over data and we expect to have a major update for you all soon. This update will be relayed by both e-mail and a forum post.

And David, at the time of the 7 day credit offer, we were expecting the downtime to be resolved in a matter of few hours. Things have changed and so will that offer.