Resellers, Do you use your host's forums?

Do resellers use the host's forums? If so, what do you use them for?
    DBI Hosting Reliable Web Hosting
    VPS Hosting / cPanel VPS Hosting
    Linux, Windows & BSD
    Backups, Custom Control Panel, 24/7 Support

Quote Originally Posted by dbihosting View Post
    Do resellers use the host's forums? If so, what do you use them for?
    Interacting with other members. Helping people out who post their problems there.

That's all I can think of ATM
    One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them

Do you mean, do you host a forum on the same reseller? Or using the forums from the host you got the reseller from? If so, to keep up to date with news/promotions and other stuff. But usually whatever is covered on the forums can be found on the site as well. The forums is usually a place where customers can chat, imo.
    RageTracks.com -- Discover the latest Electronic Dance Music

Yes,
    but normaly only when I have a 'problem' I check the forum to see if I'm alone, in which case it's prob. me, but if others are experiencing problems, I know which *rse to kick.

Now once in the forum, I'll go chat/browse etc. which is better than kicking the cat.
    Some hosting forums are more friendly than others though, should we name and rave the 'friendliest forums' ? it would make a fun poll I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian-de-vie View Post
    Yes,
    but normaly only when I have a 'problem' I check the forum to see if I'm alone, in which case it's prob. me, but if others are experiencing problems, I know which *rse to kick.

Now once in the forum, I'll go chat/browse etc. which is better than kicking the cat.
    Some hosting forums are more friendly than others though, should we name and rave the 'friendliest forums' ? it would make a fun poll I think.
    sure why not. let the naming begin!
    Linux, Windows & BSD

sure why not. let the naming begin!
    OK I'll start off with Blue Who at:
    http://forums.bluewho.com/index.php

I have not been there for a while , but quite a 'cumfy place to be'.

Can u name some of the famous Hosting Providers/ Domain Registrars who have their forums and possible post the link here..

Does GoDaddy, Enom, 1and1, Host Gator have their forums?

Does GoDaddy, Enom, 1and1, Host Gator have their forums?
    As far as I know, among those, only Hostgator has a forum where customers can interact. Usually a search for "companyname forum" in Google, is of help.

I'm not sure that the 'Big guys have or need [maybe even want] to provide there own forums.

Many of the smaller[my perception not for debate] hosts have used an open forum as a USP - open & honest.
    I'm of the opinion that BlueWho were either the 1st, or one of the first to do this.
    Steve the owner will correct me if his 'other' hosting biz was first.
    Originaly the BlueWho forum was there 'home page', seemed very odd at the time, but it certainly grew on you, nowdays, there less 'contraversual' and have a 'normal' home page.

For the newbies here some hosts forums give only limited acces to 'non-customers'.

I'm sure a search of google will come up with some 'unoffical' hosts forums, most of which I would expect to be 'entertaining'.

but yes a least of 'respected hosts - forums' may be a good Idea, a sort of web hosts forums directory.
    Maybe theres even a Biz Op there for someone with spare time on there hands.

I'm of the opinion that BlueWho were either the 1st, or one of the first to do this.
    HTTPme (now under the same umbrella as Bluewho) was first to very successfully put the forums to the forefront of the site. It takes a people's person to run a business using this approach.

The problem with running a forum is that as the business grows it gets harder to manage. At some point, something bad will happen (it always does, no host is perfect) and then comes the time when the forum shows its double edge, when customers start encouraging one another to leave. A tendency to over moderate it then comes almost naturally, the censorship only feeding the "let's leave" wave. It all spirals from bad to worse. Finally, the decision to temporarily close the forum comes. It then becomes a permanent closure.

It takes a special skill, special people and a special company to run a support forum, to always be that open.

Quote Originally Posted by ldcdc View Post
    HTTPme (now under the same umbrella as Bluewho) was first to very successfully put the forums to the forefront of the site. It takes a people's person to run a business using this approach.

The problem with running a forum is that as the business grows it gets harder to manage. At some point, something bad will happen (it always does, no host is perfect) and then comes the time when the forum shows its double edge, when customers start encouraging one another to leave. A tendency to over moderate it then comes almost naturally, the censorship only feeding the "let's leave" wave. It all spirals from bad to worse. Finally, the decision to temporarily close the forum comes. It then becomes a permanent closure.

It takes a special skill, special people and a special company to run a support forum, to always be that open.
    Frankly I think that "when something bad happens" a forum can show that hosts true colors. If the host is above board and honest, then that issue and how they handle it can make them look very good indeed as there is a public record of it. It's when hosts try sweeping stuff under the rug in their forum that they get in trouble. Httpme's forum is an excellent example of the right way to do a forum. And Site5's forum is an excellent example of the wrong way to do a forum.

~;-)

Quote Originally Posted by ldcdc View Post
    HTTPme (now under the same umbrella as Bluewho).
    Being a sour puss, I think you'll find it's the other way:
    BlueWho is under HTTPme's umbrella, Steven[of HTTPme fame] took over Bluewho from Adrian.
    Where is Adrian now ? - -

Quote Originally Posted by Klaatu View Post
    Frankly I think that "when something bad happens" a forum can show that hosts true colors. If the host is above board and honest, then that issue and how they handle it can make them look very good indeed as there is a public record of it. It's when hosts try sweeping stuff under the rug in their forum that they get in trouble. Httpme's forum is an excellent example of the right way to do a forum. And Site5's forum is an excellent example of the wrong way to do a forum.

~;-)

There will always be problems. As long as you are on the level, your customers shouldn't beat you up to much
    Linux, Windows & BSD

There will always be problems. As long as you are on the level, your customers shouldn't beat you up to much
    A wise [Business Man] once said to me "Never lie in business, EXCEPT if your premises have been flooded".

Quote Originally Posted by Klaatu View Post
    Httpme's forum is an excellent example of the right way to do a forum. And Site5's forum is an excellent example of the wrong way to do a forum.
    A very good comparison!

I dont think my host has any forums which is a shame really I've used forums in the past where hosts just delete any nasty comments making them all look good.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian-de-vie View Post
    Being a sour puss, I think you'll find it's the other way:
    BlueWho is under HTTPme's umbrella, Steven[of HTTPme fame] took over Bluewho from Adrian.
    Where is Adrian now ? - -
    The umbrella I was referring to is Steven's Insiderhosting.