Hi, Ideas for best Hosting Co. for my photos?

Hi, and thanks for reading this, help would be appreciated. I need a fast reliable host for images/photos (ebay related). I don't need much space, about 300 Mb, and bandwidth / month wouldn't need to be a lot, less than 3 gig. I can pay about 25 ($50) / year. I have been with Netfirms for the last 5 years but my images are being hosted in never never land, and often take ages to download. I thought of 1 & 1 but on reading the forum looks like they're not too hot anymore. Suggestions appreciated, emphasis on download speed & uptime, I don't think I'll need customer support much as I need the hosting just for photos. I'm thinking of using coffeecup to upload them. I'm no web building guru, so sql's and other abbreviations are likely to baffle me. Thanks.

Hi pas54321,

First, welcome to WHT!!
    It is apparent from your description that you are looking for more of an "online storage" solution. To check out the speed, it will be best to get a trial account with a host and test the download speed. You can get some list of hosts with special offers in the offers section (http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)

Good luck and cheers!
    ██ Softsys Hosting ██ - 9 Years In Business - 24/7 In-House Support - Enterprise DDoS Protection Available!

Enterprise Dedicated Servers - WHT Exclusive Windows & Linux VPS (US/UK/Singapore) - Failover Ready Cloud VM's

Welcome!
    Do you have a control panel in mind? If you host images you will probably need a little more bandwidth than that. When you find the right host ask them for a trial so you can test their speed. There are many hosts to choose from. Look around.

- Daniel
    Managed & Unmanaged SSD VPS's by tmzVPS.com | FAST PURE SSD & HDD Plans!
    █ Locations in USA & United Kingdom - Legal Adult Content Allowed! 24/7 Certified Support.
    cPanel/WHM Included | Premium Softaculous | Data Migration Included with Managed Support.
    █ INSTANT SETUP | Paypal, Skrill, 2checkout, BitCoin & all Major Credit Cards Accepted! Skype: tmzvps.chat

Hi. Control panel not necessary as I can delete images within the ftp control panel. 3gb bandwidth should be ok as I haven't exceeded that in the past. Also considered Hostgator are their download speeds quick?. I'm (rainy) U.K. based but images will be viewed world wide. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by pas54321 View Post
    Hi. Control panel not necessary as I can delete images within the ftp control panel. 3gb bandwidth should be ok as I haven't exceeded that in the past. Also considered Hostgator are their download speeds quick?. I'm (rainy) U.K. based but images will be viewed world wide. Thanks.
    Well with those specifications you shouldn't go with hostgator. You should try to find a smaller company since you dont need all that space and bandwidth.

- Daniel
    █ Locations in USA & United Kingdom - Legal Adult Content Allowed! 24/7 Certified Support.
    cPanel/WHM Included | Premium Softaculous | Data Migration Included with Managed Support.
    █ INSTANT SETUP | Paypal, Skrill, 2checkout, BitCoin & all Major Credit Cards Accepted! Skype: tmzvps.chat

Sure, I did wonder that. I need reliability & speed more than huge storage etc etc. I think free hosting will be a bit hit & miss, so I prefer to pay.

Well TmzHosting, HostGator happens to be a very good company. I use HostGator for file and image hosting and been doing that since quite a while. Used to dump my stuff at Servage, but Hostgators servers and networks are just faster.

Here are 2 images uploaded on Hostgator server. Theses are quite large images, around 500kB each:
    http://ep2up.com/jasper/upload/1200761213.jpg
    http://ep2up.com/jasper/upload/1200761293.jpg
    hi there!

Sure, I did wonder that. I need reliability & speed more than huge storage etc etc. I think free hosting will be a bit hit & miss, so I prefer to pay.
    I agree.. Go for paid hosting. With your requirements, I don't think you'll need to spend more than $3-$4 a month.

Good luck!
    ██ Softsys Hosting ██ - 9 Years In Business - 24/7 In-House Support - Enterprise DDoS Protection Available!

Enterprise Dedicated Servers - WHT Exclusive Windows & Linux VPS (US/UK/Singapore) - Failover Ready Cloud VM's

Your budget and requirement seems reasonable, I think you can easily find it on the Shared Hosting Offers Section http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4
    ServMap.com - MapServer GIS hosting
    Shared | Reseller | VPS | Dedicated Hosting by ServWebSolutions

Nice photos above, & yes they downloaded quick for me, but i have a quick connection & system, a lot of potential buyers will have a slower connection at times, & that I have to allow for. Still thinking of Hostagator as they have pretty good reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by amygdela View Post
    Well TmzHosting, HostGator happens to be a very good company. I use HostGator for file and image hosting and been doing that since quite a while. Used to dump my stuff at Servage, but Hostgators servers and networks are just faster.

Here are 2 images uploaded on Hostgator server. Theses are quite large images, around 500kB each:
    http://ep2up.com/jasper/upload/1200761213.jpg
    http://ep2up.com/jasper/upload/1200761293.jpg
    I never said the weren't. They are a great host. I just said because he doesn't need that much space and bandwidth he should go with a smaller company.

- Daniel

I never said the weren't. They are a great host. I just said because he doesn't need that much space and bandwidth he should go with a smaller company.
    Lol, what a bull. you're just signature spamming, that's all. The size of the company has nothing to do with the packages and services they offer. A good service is offered through experienced and educated personnel, and HG happens to have such staff on board.. 24/7/365! And if one doesn't need all that space, he don't use it. It's not mandatory to stuff your web hosting package to the brim, is it?
    hi there!

Since UK have many fine hosts and some that host in datacenters in Netherlands - which also have good international connections I think you would be pretty safe "even" if you select a UK based host (hostway, uk2net, fasthosts and 1&1 as you mentioned earlier).
    -Mr Bister

I thought of 1 & 1 but on reading the forum looks like they're not too hot anymore.
    You'd be much happier with a company like HostGator than you would with 1&1. A low-cost solution will fit you nicely, but you may as well get good service and performance thrown in, too.
    ██ UBERHOST
    NEXT GENERATION HOSTING
    Managed dedicated & shared hosting

For the limited space and bandwidth you require, have you considered ultra-budget web hosts like Hosting Puppy or A Small Orange? I'd still recommend 1&1 Internet. I would avoid any Endurance International-owned web hosting provider (BizLand, FreeYellow, Fat Cow, HostCentric, PoWWeb, iPower, Hypermart and about 20+ other brands).

Cheers,
    Doug

Quote Originally Posted by amygdela View Post
    Lol, what a bull. you're just signature spamming, that's all. The size of the company has nothing to do with the packages and services they offer. A good service is offered through experienced and educated personnel, and HG happens to have such staff on board.. 24/7/365! And if one doesn't need all that space, he don't use it. It's not mandatory to stuff your web hosting package to the brim, is it?
    I didn't take his recommendation to be signature spamming whatsoever. His suggestion and reasoning are perfectly valid. The huge oversellers (HG is one) oversell the crap out of their servers and pack them to the brim with sites... which absolutely can -- and does -- affect server performance and reliability.

A smaller company that doesn't oversell like mad will be less likely to overstuff their servers like a can of sardines, which means one or two resource abusers won't be able to bring a server down (or cripple it) nearly as easily. Since the OP needs a fast-running and reliably-performing server, these are completely valid considerations.

You will also find 24/7 support at a smaller company. Size of the company has nothing to do with that -- it's just a matter of finding a company who provides what they say they do.

The benefit is that smaller companies are in a better position to be more attentive to their servers, watch things more closely and take care of their customers. They can offer more personal service, and customers get the benefit of actually having the same person answer their tickets twice in a row. Smaller companies have the "luxury" of spending more time with customers, listening to customers, and are better able (and generally more willing) to implement suggestions made by customers ... their hands and their operations aren't so tied up in bureaucratic tape and corporate politics.

These are all generalizations, that is not to say you won't find smaller companies that have a stand-offish, company-centric, corporate culture attitude. There are always exceptions to the rule.

My point is to show how a smaller company can offer the same benefits as a larger host (like 24/7/365 support and knowledgeable techs) while also often being more nimble and responsive than a large company can be.

** not posting my signature, lest I be accused of signature spamming as well. Never mind the fact the OP's budget requirements are nowhere near my company's price scale... **

Bailey

The only advice I would offer is to not pre-pay for anything longer than 3 months, at the start. Go through at least 2 cycles of that (3 months pre-pay, then another 3 month pre-pay) to get a solid handle on the host's performance. If at 6 months you feel comfortable that the host's server and support are completely meeting your needs, and appear stable, then go ahead and pre-pay for no longer than a year.

You can get price breaks by paying for longer periods in advance, but that money is lost (and wasted) if the host's performance goes downhill in a few months. All you need is a couple weeks' rocky performance and now you have a bunch of auctions that are ruined as well -- and you can't get your listing fees or lost sales back, either.

So you actually have quite a bit riding on this choice. Don't just jump at a company and shell out a year's (or longer) service fees to get the cheapest price. It is better to pay $6/month for 6 months, and pay only $36 total to learn that that host's servers aren't running fast enough for your needs, than to pay $72 for 2 years' service (to get the cheap $3/month pricing) and have to forfeit that money when you move to a new host.

Paying a little extra at the outset is better than throwing a chunk of money away because you couldn't see the future in a crystal ball --

Good luck with your search.

Bailey
    Let's Connect on Twitter! @thatsmsgeek2u || Fighting mediocrity one thread at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by bithost(NET) View Post
    I didn't take his recommendation to be signature spamming whatsoever. His suggestion and reasoning are perfectly valid. The huge oversellers (HG is one) oversell the crap out of their servers and pack them to the brim with sites... which absolutely can -- and does -- affect server performance and reliability.

A smaller company that doesn't oversell like mad will be less likely to overstuff their servers like a can of sardines, which means one or two resource abusers won't be able to bring a server down (or cripple it) nearly as easily. Since the OP needs a fast-running and reliably-performing server, these are completely valid considerations.

You will also find 24/7 support at a smaller company. Size of the company has nothing to do with that -- it's just a matter of finding a company who provides what they say they do.

The benefit is that smaller companies are in a better position to be more attentive to their servers, watch things more closely and take care of their customers. They can offer more personal service, and customers get the benefit of actually having the same person answer their tickets twice in a row. Smaller companies have the "luxury" of spending more time with customers, listening to customers, and are better able (and generally more willing) to implement suggestions made by customers ... their hands and their operations aren't so tied up in bureaucratic tape and corporate politics.

These are all generalizations, that is not to say you won't find smaller companies that have a stand-offish, company-centric, corporate culture attitude. There are always exceptions to the rule.

My point is to show how a smaller company can offer the same benefits as a larger host (like 24/7/365 support and knowledgeable techs) while also often being more nimble and responsive than a large company can be.

** not posting my signature, lest I be accused of signature spamming as well. Never mind the fact the OP's budget requirements are nowhere near my company's price scale... **

Bailey
    Thanks

- Daniel

I think it would be a better option to buy a premium account on one of more reputable image hosts.

You will probably save headache/maintenance/money if you do it this way.
    All My Data From small shared web hosting accounts to powerful dedicated servers.
    Now offering Affordable UNIX shells and IRCd hosting!

Hi, and thanks all of you for your posts, interesting. One thing's for sure this web hosting lark is a minefield, step in the wrong direction and you'll get your ....... . Am I correct in my summary of all of this. Pure economics, there is not enough main server space around to satisfy the demand, excess of demand over supply = high prices & (often) poor service. Surely if there were loads more storage / server / banks of storage computers around, web material would download quicker and perhaps uptime would be better (not sure on that one). Plus seems like a rule of thumb that excellent budding small hosting companies can be victims of their own success, and become slow over stuffed perhaps under staffed giants. There are loads of forums around, with differing messages being put across, surely, wouldn't it be easier to have one regulatory body, with stats info, download examples, etc etc. Only trouble with that is there's no international law to govern it. All that profound stuff aside, and back to basics, have been looking at another company 5quidhost (although I reckon the 2quid plan will do me) in the states I suppose you'd call it 5buckhost. Has anyone any experience of this company? seems like the staff are pretty friendly, they use U.S. based servers (mainly). Tara from (dull today) but not rainy yet U.K.