Optimal Temperature?

What's the Optimal Temperature for servers, the CPU, and hard drive?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails temp.jpg  
    Dating Revolution Method - Book on how to meet and attract women

Any name-brand server will specify the optimal operating environment in terms of temperature and humidity in the physical installation manual. The whitebox companies like supermicro probably include something like this in the motherboard manual.

The colder the better. Optimum is always "colder". I can't see much from your screenshot but it looks fine to me. But as I said, if you can make it colder in there, it's always beneficial.

As long as you're not using compressor / water systems . Then you can think "colder is better, but wet is dead".

The screenshot shows CPU at -15C (5 F) and HD at 2C (35.6 F)

I was just hoping it didn't damage the computer.

Do you have the server outside or something? If not, those numbers are probably not right.
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions
    *** http://www.bqbackup.com/ ***

Quote Originally Posted by bqinternet View Post
    Do you have the server outside or something? If not, those numbers are probably not right.
    It is outdoors, correct.
    Well, not outdoors, but in a non-heated storage where temperature is about equal to outside, give or take a degree or two.

And what is the temp outside?

Most motherboards would have a manufacturer's Operating Temperature range between 10 to 35 degrees C (50 to 95 degrees F). This means that other components making up the complete system would do well also in this range.

Your system was running way too cold! You'll want to move the machine somewhere a little warmer.
    BannerView.com - Energize your Business Online, powered by BannerOS, the platform that turns your website into a powerful business tool.
    Build your own website powered by BannerOS with our DIY service.

Quote Originally Posted by mhalligan View Post
    Any name-brand server will specify the optimal operating environment in terms of temperature and humidity in the physical installation manual. The whitebox companies like supermicro probably include something like this in the motherboard manual.
    im wondering why you would classify Supermicro as whitebox? IMO they are classified as name brand.
    They have their own in-house motherboards, chassis, etc.
    If you classify Supermicro as a whitebox, then you would have to do the same with Dell that doesn't even use their own motherboards.

Just curious...

Holy crap I'm so in-tuned to looking at high numbers I totally missed that his computer is frigid.

I wouldnt be worried to be honest... unless you see condensation forming anywhere. Then be very worried.

Quote Originally Posted by AFerrier View Post
    im wondering why you would classify Supermicro as whitebox? IMO they are classified as name brand.
    They have their own in-house motherboards, chassis, etc.
    If you classify Supermicro as a whitebox, then you would have to do the same with Dell that doesn't even use their own motherboards.

Just curious...
    I can't speak to his reasons, but supermicro's have always felt very white box to me. They may have gotten better in recent years, but from what I've seen they look like home-built rackmount servers with a supermicro logo. The space inside is full of emptiness (and pointless)... the face is very bland. They just feel very cheap.

I have had access to a few newer supermicros, they are better but I would still not put them on the level of dell. Dell makes some very nice stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by mpope View Post
    I can't speak to his reasons, but supermicro's have always felt very white box to me. They may have gotten better in recent years, but from what I've seen they look like home-built rackmount servers with a supermicro logo. The space inside is full of emptiness (and pointless)... the face is very bland. They just feel very cheap.

I have had access to a few newer supermicros, they are better but I would still not put them on the level of dell. Dell makes some very nice stuff.
    how a case looks does not qualify it as whitebox. supermicro uses proprietary chassis and motherboards, as well as riser cards, daughter cards etc.
    Supermicro cases look very good. If you are talking about bland then you are looking at the cheap ones, which you cannot expect more for the price.

The 4 bay hotswap servers we buy look very nice both outside and inside. they have excellent cooling and layout.

I don't consider Dell special, just over priced and over hyped.

To get back on topic again,

Options:
    A - The temprature in the room has to be lower than -20C, because else the HD would never make it to 2C
    B - Speedfan will not read the tempratures right, because it is a server
    C - Your sensor is dead