Trusted hosts with Direct Admin

Hello,

I signed up with MediaLayer and they offer Direct Admin. I'm amazed by how fast and organized this control panel is comparing to cPanel.

MediaLayer is great (my support tickets are answered within 2 minutes and server performance is very good) they just don't oversell too much. I'm c'mon, if my neighbor is not using his space why I don't use it? 500MB was the space my first host gave me back in 1999.

Anyway, I'm looking for other trusted hosts with Direct Admin for my other larger sites.

I believe MediaLayer offers larger plans. If you're happy with them, why not stay.

Probably because he doesn't want to pay a lot more for what he can get cheaper elsewhere. He might be looking for more disk/transfer resources even if it means less server resources. Media Layer doesn't currently cater too well for sites of a multimedia nature (unless you pay a lot). I'm sure he knows what type of disk/transfer numbers he needs, and Media Layer presumably can't cater at an acceptable price.

I'm sure you just posted that to get your signature in there though, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Costaud View Post

Anyway, I'm looking for other trusted hosts with Direct Admin for my other larger sites.

How much disk space are you looking for?
    I think you will have two options. If you need a lot of space, you can look at overselling hosts which offers huge space.
    But it depends upon your business model and policies. Overselling will give you more space for cheap price, but you may be missing on reliability or quality. Also, you will have to go through their TOS and check the restrictions they have.
    iHubNet Ltd - Premium Hosting Solutions 4 ALL
    Solid Support Solid Equipment Solid Network
    Shared Hosting / Reseller Hosting / Managed Server
    Matt A.

Yeah, actually I'm not crazy to pay $20/m for 1GB Storage. What do you think of eleven2? Are they oversellers (I mean will they let me use the 60GB, or at least 10GB of it?)

You'll get used with any control panel, so I won't advise you to limit yourself only to direct admin. You should contact medialayer first, and see if they can give you something acceptable, they have good margins to negotiate a better deal.

Eleven2 use cPanel.

Eleven2 are clearly overselling (particularly with their temporary relaunch plans that must be paid a year in advance), but whether or not they let the minority of users who use up more resources do so is entirely unknown. Hosts generally don't disclose things like "Sure, if someone uses 10GB out of the 60GB we've sold them we'll cut them off".

I would imagine you'll have no problems as long as your content is legal and you don't have heavy scripts slowing down the servers. Using up a lot of resources probably throws up an alarm bell with hosts, who'll then have a quick scour to see if they can find a folder full of dodgy mp3s to use an excuse for cutting you off.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Williams View Post
    Eleven2 use cPanel.

Eleven2 are clearly overselling

Overselling is not the right word here its "OMFG"

[url removed]

Just look at that monstrous bw they provide let me steal the plan before anyone else does and become the Bandwidth LORD.

Anyways Most hosts use cpanel over DA so you might not be able to find overselling hosts without DA.
    Last edited by bear; 01-19-2008 at 06:41 PM.

I've just reviewed Direct Admin's Demo and I can admit it looks very friendly. But I don't think that other controm panels work worse. Asking for recommendation about hosts who use Direct Admin only use will not have too many choices.
    DawHB.com - Web Hosting Blog | VPSHostDir.com - VPS Hosting Media

In The Netherlands a LOT of web hosting companies use DirectAdmin. It's cheaper, looks better, works faster, doesn't need as much RAM to run on, works independant of PHP/SQL versions and keeps the FTP's of your clients a lot cleaner than cPanel does
    Last edited by sirius; 01-20-2008 at 11:56 PM.
    hi there!

Costaud, you might take a look at PrecisionEffect. I've not used them but they use DA, their plans are a bit cheaper / more generous than MediaLayer's (without crazy overselling) and they seem to have a good reputation here.
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter