Thread: Which SSL?

Which SSL?

Can I buy an SSL certificate from anybody or do I have to get it from my domains registrar?

Which SSL certificate? What should I look out for, and avoid? Why not just get the cheapest?
    Signature Under Construction.

In answering my own question. I found this site extremely informative www.whichssl.com
    Signature Under Construction.

PCHeroes Guest
    It depends on what you want from the SSL cert. If you just want it to secure your transactions then the cheaper ones from godaddy etc would work fine.

But if you want a widely recgonised site seal logo aswell as encryption to promote buyer confidence in your site or a higher level of verfication for your business then the likes of Comodo or Versign would be a better option.

Personally I find Comodo the quickest to deal with and they are reasonably priced compared to some of the SSL cert providers around.

We use one from Godaddy that has domain only validation. Verisisn is usually trusted by customers while I have nnoticed that having a hacker safe button helps increase conversions as well.

As long as you can generate your own CSR you should be OK. Comodo is one of the better ones that we use actually. They might be a bit more expensive than some of the GeoTrust resellers but well worth it to invest in their SSL cert

Thawte, Thawte and Thawte.... Did I mention Thawte?

when should i get a SSL certifate?
    when i collect credit cards payment? or whenver i do business on the site, i should have ssl?

You can see the answer at the website provided above

1. That the website really is who it claims to be. (Now verifiable directly by the browser)

2. That credit card numbers, are encrypted and cannot be intercepted.

3. That the data sent and received cannot be tampered with or forged.
    Waveweb Technologies
    http://www.waveweb.com
    Customer Service Guarantee

Verisign = Thawte = GeoTrust. Most of their SSL's are the same too but the verification process may vary. If its not so important that the client see the SSL get a $10 RapidSSL or if your SSL will increase sales a lot get a $1500 Verisign EV.

I've had a good experience using namecheap.com for SSLs. The RapidSSL is really cheap just $12 a year I believe

I think the following website:
    http://www.whichssl.com/
    describe all the features of the SSL certificates
    Low Cost Storage VPS plans at webprovps.com
    VPS Price Match Guarantee on: All our range of DDOS protected XEN HVM VPS
    == Contact us for any online solution development or managed / unmanaged vps hosting ==

in case i need a SSL seal on my site so everyone can trust, how to get that sign? and it's expensive right?

I've used Thawte for SSL in the past and had no problems. I recently started using Comodo for PCI compliance and security scanning because they have by far one of the more cost-effective solutions.

My advice would be Comodo or Thawte. I don't know what Verisign is charging these days, but in the past they had seemed priced above the competition to me.
    David Goodale
    Merchant Accounts.ca
    Canada's merchant account provider.
    Toll free: (888) 414-7111 ext. 5 | Direct: (905) 901-2254

I have used Godaddy before - was painless.

Quote Originally Posted by Netdepot View Post
    I have used Godaddy before - was painless.
    why? did you had problems installing to certificate or with the order itself?

Painless means there was no pain ie. no problems.

We use Comodo, works great and not as expensive as GeoTrust or Verisign.