Any good DNS server ?!

Hi,
    I'm not sure if this is the right place for this topic.
    I'm sorry of it isn't.
    What i want to ask is, does anyone know of a good DNS server?
    I have heard of TinyDNS and Bind9
    I have also heard a lot about PowerDNS.
    I personally thought of PowerDNS because of it stores records in Mysql.
    The only thing is that i cannot find a good frontend for powerDNS.
    And I don't have enough time to build a frontpanel myself.
    And ofcourse a professional/opensource frontend is better as it is tested/used by lots of people. So a lot of suggestions/improvements
    I would really appreciate if someone could kindly give some advise/suggestion on this?
    Thanks a lot in advance!

MyDNS and MyDNSConfig(Control panel - Both free) are another viable solution, and I am pretty sure that stores entries in a MySQL database too. Another advantage of that setup is that it's fairly straightforward to setup.

on something like dns queries where it's almost all read, very little update/insert/delete, would you really want it stored in a mysql database?

Quote Originally Posted by derek.bodner View Post
    on something like dns queries where it's almost all read, very little update/insert/delete, would you really want it stored in a mysql database?
    I would agree with that, isn't using a database just adding another potential point of failure to the system... mysql falls over and then dns goes down... thats no good seperate systems shouldn't rely on eachother where it is possible to avoid it.
    Toby H
    Infrastructure Consultant
    SolutionFire.co.uk
    cPanel | VMware | XenServer | cPanel | 3PAR | R1soft

I use Bind 9 I think it is most common, seemed everyone is using it, if there is any issues, it would be easy to look for help. Safer than going for the newer ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Toby H View Post
    I would agree with that, isn't using a database just adding another potential point of failure to the system... mysql falls over and then dns goes down... thats no good seperate systems shouldn't rely on eachother where it is possible to avoid it.

I'd suggest that it depends on your needs.

Databases are easier to manipulate than flat files. They have more structure and easier to report from and query when you know SQL.

Yes, MySQL is inherently more unreliable than files and your file system, but the benefits may outweigh the negatives in that you have a more flexible and easier system to update and report from.

Bind has been the defacto standard for DNS servers over the years. If your needs for a DNS server are simple, I'd suggest going with it, there's more information on it and help available than every other DNS server combined.
    Want me for contracting? Please read

http://www.brassy.net/contracting/

If you're already familiar with tinydns, why not go with it? You will want to apply a few patches first, but it's solid.
    -Mark Adams
    www.bitserve.com - Secure Michigan web hosting for your business.
    Only host still offering a full money back uptime guarantee and prorated refunds.
    Offering advanced server management and security incident response!

Majority of our customers uses Bind . I feel bind is the best option out there. Again, its my view point.
    Blessen Cherian
    Follow me on twitter.com/blessenonly
    Over a decade plus in the Hosting Industry