Advice on mailserver

Hello,

I'm currently hosting a dedicated server with 1300+ mail accounts (exim/maildir/cpanel/ASSP)

Now I'm looking to get a RAID 5 solution to better protect and add redundacy on my customer data, including a remote backup.

Would be a smart move to go to a non-cpanel box considering the number of mail accounts?

With that number of mail accounts I would seriously consider starting to cluster your mail infrastructure. IMHO going to a large RAID 5 using SATA, or other non-enterprise disks you could actually lower your overall MTBF. (adding complexity and higher probability of a drive failing during a parity rebuild). You could consider using RAID 6, or 10.

I would build two identical servers, and split the mailbox's between both. Use a mail proxy similar to perdition to point users to the appropriate server where their mailstore is located (exim might already support clustering/proxying/multiplexing, but I'm not sure since I haven't used it).

Since you are using maildir format, you could entertain the thought of having mailstores on a high available/redundant NFS backend. That way users can connect into either of the front end mailservers. DNS round robin or a load balancer in front of the mail servers would distribute the load somewhat equally.
    Last edited by wvnt; 01-18-2008 at 06:49 PM. Reason: spelling errors

How about HA (High Availability)? Why not try it? You can find details about HA from this link http://www.linux-ha.org
    Blessen Cherian
    Follow me on twitter.com/blessenonly
    Over a decade plus in the Hosting Industry