[DirectAdmin] Mail to Hotmail only sends with php, not with any webmail

Hey guys, it's been a while since I've posted on this forum (been using cPanel for the past 3 years), but I have a very weird problem with my new VPS w/ CentOS 4 and DA (hostname = main.netcatmedia.nl and we only have 1 user account).

It looks like we can't send email to hotmail accounts through any webmail. Mail sent to all other servers (gmail for example) arrives ok from webmail. We have even installed Horde and tried that.

I've tried sending mail with php using mail(), this works ok and email arrives in the Hotmail spam folders.

I've checked the IP with spamhouse, it seems to be clean, we also have RDNS set up for main.netcatmedia.nl.

What could it be?

You should take a look at /var/log/exim to find out more information

All emails to hotmail it says "Queued mail for delivery".

While others it says "Message accepted for delivery" or "Ok: queued as ..." etc. What does that mean?

Also, I see this:

2008-01-16 13:40:29 H=bay0-omc1-s37.bay0.hotmail.com [65.54.246.109] F=<ME@HOTMAIL> rejected RCPT <ME@SERVER>:

(I changed my hotmail accounts and email on the server)
    So I understand it's rejected from the server to hotmail, but why?
    Last edited by keyDet; 01-18-2008 at 01:40 PM.

I hate Hotmail, I use Plesk and I can't send to Hotmail either, all the SPF records are set and the RDNS is configured, my IP isn't on any spam lists and my DNSReport.com comes back all green, but still Hotmail won't accept.

The funny thing is, my logs report the email as delivered, but this isn't the case.

Have you setup an SPF record, and are you sure you have the Reverse DNS setup properly?

Check these things first, Hotmail are getting quite paranoid about Spam...

Note, the reason PHP works (I believe this is the case) is because PHP uses its own mail function, and it seems Hotmail is just blocking your outgoing mail server. I can also send email from my Plesk server if I go through another SMTP server, but when I use the servers SMTP it doesn't arrive...

Yup, I now have rdns and
    netcatmedia.nl. TXT v=spf1 a mx ip4:84.244.138.71 -all

But no go. Is there such a thing as an external SMTP service which doesn't get blocked by Hotmail?

You should try to send your domain name(s) (one domain name per line in body) to senderid -AT- microsoft.com , this will update their SPF records cache or smth...
    <!-- insert your signature here -->

Quote Originally Posted by pozmu View Post
    You should try to send your domain name(s) (one domain name per line in body) to senderid -AT- microsoft.com , this will update their SPF records cache or smth...
    Yup, I emailed Hotmail support, did this for the servers domain and it is working now.

Well it looks like things are working out, I believe I have seen this kind of problem at Yahoo as well....

What is the best FREE control panel software for Server?