Thread: Low power 1u

Low power 1u

We are looking for a couple of new servers and it seems power is a big factor in the price of a colo at the moment.

Objective
    PC based system (as opposed to Apple MAC)
    1u case with Rails
    Less that 0.5 amp at all times, including boot time
    & max utilisation
    Processor(s) with as many cores & clock cycles as we can get with the available power

Target Minimum specification
    4gb RAM
    2 x 250GB hot-swap hard disks, RAID1
    100mb Ethernet
    IPMI 2.0 system monitoring
    1 USB port
    Basic integrated display adapter
    Keyboard & mouse ports

Thanks for any advice...
    Last edited by bobrepus; 01-18-2008 at 08:17 AM. Reason: To say thanks!

Good luck finding something less than 0.5amps inc boot.

I take it you are talking about UK power supply also @ 240v, as this will obvioulsy effect things!

Example of 1U server

Core 2 Duo E6420, 2.13Ghz
    Intel based 946GZ motherboard, onboard VGA, NIC
    1GB DDR2 RAM
    1 x 250GB WD HDD

On boot = 0.51 amps
    Idle = 0.4 amps
    100% = 0.5 amps

Putting in 4GB of RAM (Im assuming 4 x 1GB..?) and another HDD will increase power on boot, and that is what they will measure your power usage as, on boot, im guessing around 0.65 amps... possible / probably more.

Hope this helps

PS there is a new AMD dual core "BE" chip that has really low power consumption, might be worth looking at those.
    Stuart Munro

We run Tyan systems with 3 drives + RAID card + AMD Dual Core (EE versions), with 2GB RAM and they draw <0.5A, I think around 0.35A from memory when lightly loaded, still <0.5A when loaded as I recall. I should add, that we generally try and use single platter drives and as few DIMMs as possible as well, to keep the power usage down. I think the largest single platter drive you can get at the moment is 250GB (which is fine for 90% of our customers).
    Karl Austin :: KDA Web Services Ltd.
    UK Business Hosting and Managed Servers - Hosting for Business Users :: 0800 5429 764
    Call us today and ask about our hosting solutions.

Dell PowerEdge R200

EDIT: You said hotswap disks - sorry...not the R200 then...
    Kris - nitrohosting.net
    Premium Dell Windows/Linux dedicated servers in London
    Great value shared hosting & ADSL.
    PM/Email for no-obligation quotes.

Quote Originally Posted by KDAWebServices View Post
    We run Tyan systems with 3 drives + RAID card + AMD Dual Core (EE versions), with 2GB RAM and they draw <0.5A, I think around 0.35A from memory when lightly loaded
    I have a similar need for a lightly loaded server, low power, but need lots of disk. The disk doesn't have to be fast. And no, a firewire hub and a pile of 80G iPods won't work .

Has anyone used the 1TB low-power Caviar:

http://www.pcconnection.com/IPA/Shop...tm?sku=7897535

? They claim 4 watts at idle, 7.5 read/write. I think that would mean 0.1A at 240v, for 3T of disk. Any better options for low power disk?

We looked at them, but the performance isn't there when we do need it, so we avoided them, don't think they were certified to run with the Areca card on the job we looked at them for.
    Karl Austin :: KDA Web Services Ltd.
    UK Business Hosting and Managed Servers - Hosting for Business Users :: 0800 5429 764
    Call us today and ask about our hosting solutions.

I think you are possibly getting far too worried about this. We only get charged 3 per .1 of an amp for overage which isnt a lot really. However you would be scarificing a lot in terms of server spec if you worried about keeping it under .5. Note, an athlon dual core 5200+, 4gb ram, 4x 250gb drives for us draws 0.55 on boot and between 0.4 and 0.5 when in use.