traveling to Canada

I'm a US Citizen, do I need a passport to travel to Canada? I didn't apply for one yet. There were new rules that went into effect last year for traveling outside of the US.

Depends how you travel, but yes.

I don't think you need a passport, but you need proof of citizenship. Ie. Photo ID + birth certificate, landed papers, etc.

I'm not 100% certain though, so best to just call immigration.
    SuperWebHost.com, a Digitally Justified Company
    Celebrating our 9th year in Business

Proudly Hosting with CANADIAN bandwidth
    Managed Hosting, Multi-Domain Hosting, Colocation, Merchant Accounts

Yes, you should bring your passport.

Vito
    DemoDemo.com - Flash tutorials since 2002
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

If you're traveling by air or land and are returning before the end of January, you can go on your photo id, and your birth certificate. Sometimes you will need a paper that proves that your passport is on the way. After that, you'll need to provide a passport, no exceptions.
    Ryan G.
    Owner
    Umgardi.ca

Ok, I just didn't apply for my passport yet. How long would it take to get one?

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    If you're traveling by air or land and are returning before the end of January, you can go on your photo id, and your birth certificate. Sometimes you will need a paper that proves that your passport is on the way. After that, you'll need to provide a passport, no exceptions.
    I belive they have put the need for a passport when travelling by land on hold for a while. I'm pretty sure you can still use your birth cert and drivers license to driver across the border. If you are flying you must have a passport.

As for wait time I have no idea what it's like in the States, I think it's a few weeks in Canada though.

I think we need a passport to get into the US so im guessing yes you will need your passport.. but just check at www.canadavisa.com im pretty sure that site will help you with any issues, if you have any..
    Who is this infamous HTML i keep hearing of, is she cute?

Quote Originally Posted by HD Fanatic View Post
    There were new rules that went into effect last year for traveling outside of the US.
    Last I heard, they postponed the requirement for US and Canadian citizens to have a passport when entering the US, but they do want more than a driver's licence as ID.

From a Dec. 3/07 Homeland Security press release:

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and the U.S. Department of State (DOS) remind the traveling public that as of Jan. 31, 2008, all adult travelers will be required to present proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate, and proof of identity, such as a driverís license, when entering the United States through land and sea ports of entry....

Currently, U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officers may accept oral declarations of citizenship from U.S. and Canadian citizens seeking entry into the United States through a land or sea border. However, as of January 31, 2008:

* Oral declarations of citizenship alone will no longer be accepted
    * U.S. and Canadian citizens ages 19 and older will need to present a government-issued photo ID, such as a driverís license, along with proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate or naturalization certificate
    * Children ages 18 and under will only be required to present proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate
    * Passports and trusted traveler program cards - NEXUS, SENTRI and FAST - will continue to be accepted for cross-border travel

All existing nonimmigrant visa and passport requirements will remain in effect and will not be altered by this change.
    Lois
    Do you have a WHT question or concern? Please open a helpdesk ticket.

"Do what you can, where you are, with what you have." Ė Theodore Roosevelt

I don't know what the current turnaround time is. Supposedly they temporarily allow these alternatives because of a big backlog in applications that was created when the passport requirement for Canada was announced. That excuse for not having a passport has probably run out, because anyone who applied for a passport when the new requirement was announced should have one by now. I suggest that you submit your passport application as soon as possible. BTW Sears or J.C. Penney is a pretty good place to get a passport photo. It costs just a few dollars more than Kinko's, but it looks a lot better because they use umbrella bounced flash instead of on-camera flash.

Because this is a newer law, you can get away with your license and a passport.

(make sure you don't have any tickets like a DWI)