Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What should I expect for $10 dollars a month?

Webhosting is a mess, we all know that. With everyone and their cousin trying to get in on the market you have services and prices spanning a huge range. You can get 500gb/5000gb for $7 here and 50mb/12gb there for the same price.

Some people are overselling diskspace and features (with decreased cost) and some are overselling support and reliability (with increased cost).

I've been with many hosts, I don't even remember all of them to be honest and I highly doubt all of them are even around. I'm currently with dreamhost, and that's the problem. Their recent billing issues didn't effect me, and I really like their honesty and full disclosure on everything. I like dreamhost, but I might not be staying with them for two reasons:

1. I do not need all that space/bandwidth.
    2. I want to support a webhost who isn't overselling to that point.

I am a hobbyist on the internet, I love messing around with webpages and finding useful(useless) stuff to do with my space and bandwidth.

A part of me wants to mirror linux iso's on static html pages until my dreamhost bandwidth is used up, but the part of my brain that dictates what I actually do knows that is stupid.

So, ignoring all the rambling I've done so far, what can I expect from a webhost for 10 bucks a month? That's what I want to spend, and I am realizing that you get what you pay for stuff, so if I am paying 10 bucks a month, what do I get? What is reasonable and fair for that much?

In addition to that, can anyone reccomend a host that deserves my money and can offer a fair amount of diskspace and bandwidth?

Too long; didn't read: What can I get for 10 bucks a month and where can I get that from?
    what is all this now?

Quote Originally Posted by bigperm View Post
    What can I get for 10 bucks a month and where can I get that from?
    A medium cup of coffee & a big mac.

Well I can agree with you in terms of companies not telling you the truth. Been there done that. <<snipped>>

Of the ones I was with back in the day were overselling, never seen one who isnt yet (although there "may" be a few no overselling companies now).

$10 a month - I'd say 10gb space, 30-40gb bandwidth. You get what you pay for in the end.
    Last edited by MikeWalczak; 01-17-2008 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Removed reference to his host.
    ATOMIC Web Hosting 2006 - 2016
    Shared Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Dedicated Servers - Virtual Private Servers (Request Dedicated/VPS Servers via E-mail)
    E-mail: sales@atomicwebhosting.com Website: https://www.atomicwebhosting.com/

$10 a month - I'd say 10gb space, 30-40gb bandwidth. You get what you pay for in the end.
    $1 per GB of space and $0.25 per GB of transfer?

Yeah, the bandwidth could be less I suppose. However $1 per gb space is fine.
    Shared Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Dedicated Servers - Virtual Private Servers (Request Dedicated/VPS Servers via E-mail)

... What can I get for 10 bucks a month and where can I get that from?
    If you add another $10 I recommend you sign for the Take-My-Money plan from nouptime.com. Or get the AppLayer DX from medialayer.

Quote Originally Posted by LifeSteala View Post
    If you're 'not' overselling as you mentioned and perform backups as well, I don't see how it would be possible to sell space at $1 per GB. I didn't mean to imply that it's too high, it's more of too low.

I am a hobbyist on the internet, I love messing around with webpages and finding useful(useless) stuff to do with my space and bandwidth.
    With that being the case, just go for something that seems reasonable and enjoy!
    It's not mission critical.

You could easily get a semi-reliable 20GB/200GB for 10 dollars and that should be plenty for "messing around with webpages"
    Web Hosting Plus
    Premium Australian Web Hosting

I get your point. It's an interesting thing to think that even the "higher end" hosting brands, way more "expensive" than that, are actually very cheap. Perceptions are really messed-up.

Quote Originally Posted by layer0 View Post
    You are double spending my money, $1 per gb = $10 and leaves no money left for bandwidth.

If anyone could give more specific host reccomendations, that would be great.
    what is all this now?

Oops, no I mean $10 include both space and bandwidth i specified earlier. That's what I would offer if I was asked for a custom plan.

You are double spending my money, $1 per gb = $10 and leaves no money left for bandwidth.

If anyone could give more specific host reccomendations, that would be great.
    You're right - so it would actually be half the amount I originally stated for each (or however the plans are actually divided up). My post was in regards to "LifeSteala"'s earlier post and not really directed at you (or as a recommendation). Sorry for the confusion!

What are you looking for in a web host? I'm guessing that unless your site is really popular or needs a custom config, that you should be able to find it for $10/month.

So my question is, what do you expect from a web host for $10/month?
    -Mark Adams
    www.bitserve.com - Secure Michigan web hosting for your business.
    Only host still offering a full money back uptime guarantee and prorated refunds.
    Offering advanced server management and security incident response!

Quote Originally Posted by bitserve View Post
    What are you looking for in a web host? I'm guessing that unless your site is really popular or needs a custom config, that you should be able to find it for $10/month.

So my question is, what do you expect from a web host for $10/month?
    That is what I am asking you! The line in the sand between what webhosts hate about oversellers and what a customer can reasonablely get for their money is not drawn.

It's easy for everyone to say that the 100gb/1000gb (or more in most cases) plans that cost >$10 is blatant overselling and therefore unreliable and doomed to fail, but what about the flipside of the coin? What should we be getting for that?

It's my understanding that hosts sell accounts on 2 very basic things. Features per price and reputation. If a host is offering lots of features for little money people can overlook the reputation, people offering fewer features for more money can because they have a great reputation.

The discussion I am trying to bring up is, what is the middle ground there? Just anybody who isn't overselling or overcharging?
    what is all this now?

Congratulations for seeing through the hype and BS that is hosting marketing today. $10 will get you the smallest account at several hosts who aren't [obviously, grossly] overselling and enjoy great reputations here. And the fact that it's their smallest account is largely irrelevant when even that is plenty big enough for several average-sized websites.

My vote goes to Medialayer - $10 for a small share of their top-grade equipment and expertise represents exceptional value for money.
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

I would probably pay $10 a month for 2GB Space and 50 GB Bandwidth

ALTHOUGH The fact of the matter is a reliable host is priceless, would you rather pay $10 for an unreliable host offering the Queen's ankle bracelett or pay $20 for a reliable host offering the President's cup lol

Unless you're using clusters, one can put max 250 customers on a decent powered server and keep it at 75% usage at peak times.

One can probably oversell the space and bandwidth, as most customers won't use 10% of their 1/250th alloted space. I'd guess one could oversell the space and bandwidth by a factor of three without even coming close to running into problems.

Considering your average 250GB drive (less for SCSI) and 3000GB bandwidth alloted to a server, you're looking at 3GB of disk space and 36GB of traffic per account max. Anything over this is kind of unbelievable, IMHO. This is what you should be getting, regardless of the price.

The price you're paying is going to affect what the host can afford to spend on everything else.

Factor in wages and benefits to not only answer the phones but plan and maintain and prepare for disaster, plus $12/sq. foot for office space, and it doesn't work out charging $3.99 month and not falling short somewhere or going bankrupt.
    Last edited by bitserve; 01-17-2008 at 02:48 AM.
    -Mark Adams
    www.bitserve.com - Secure Michigan web hosting for your business.
    Only host still offering a full money back uptime guarantee and prorated refunds.
    Offering advanced server management and security incident response!

Quote Originally Posted by foobic View Post
    My vote goes to Medialayer - $10 for a small share of their top-grade equipment and expertise represents exceptional value for money.
    Agreed. At $10/m, MediaLayer provides extreme value for what you get.

1gb of disk and 50gb of monthly transfer looks fair.

lol nouptime.com gave me a great chuckle I must admit.

Thanks to the person who posted it. lol
    | ServerHub | an INC 500 Company | Enterprise Dedicated and Cloud Solutions Built for Scale |
    | AS62904: Dallas TX, Chicago IL, New York NY, Seattle WA, Phoenix AZ, Los Angeles CA, Miami FL | AS49532: Frankfurt DE, Amsterdam NL | sales@serverhub.com |

That's backwards. $1 per GB of bandwidth, sure. Bandwidth is cheap (though I guess that depends on if your host is using 10, 100, or 1000 Mbps uplinks). Disk space would be better at about $10 per GB (or a penny per MB). Then again, that depends on the hard drives and their configuration (e.g. 15k RPM RAID5).

You can get a lot of space and bandwidth. The difference is haw much cpu can you use? And haw reliable the hosting company is. There are overselling hosts that balance efficiently the accounts on the server, so you can use all you get with no problem, and there are expensive hosts that will kick you for using too much cpu even tho they say there will be no problem. It's all depends on the people behind the company, and not the resources/price.

Are you crazy? Maybe on an IDE-special from BestBuy....

Regards,

Webhosting is a mess, we all know that. With everyone and their cousin trying to get in on the market you have services and prices spanning a huge range. You can get 500gb/5000gb for $7 here and 50mb/12gb there for the same price.

....snip....
    My cousin left the industry, I promise!! Sorry couldn't resist that one

On a serious note, $10 is a reasonable budget, its good to see someone on WHT who is not looking for a massively oversold host. For $10 you could safely find a host which:

- Delivers about 24/7 support
    - More than 99.5% uptime
    - Both *NIX and Windows would be easily available in this price range
    - All the usual goodies like PHP, MYSQL etc
    - And a fairly reputable company at the same time

It would be reasonable to expect about 2+ Gigs of (non oversold) space and about 50+ Gigs of bandwidth.

Good luck with your search
    Last edited by Asher S; 01-17-2008 at 12:47 PM. Reason: Typo
    [[ Reyox Communications / USA based cloud servers & support / 9 years of hosting websites ]]
    [[ Affordable ASP.NET4, ColdFusion, PHP & MS-SQL, MySQL, cPanel/WHM & Windows Reseller Hosting + Virtual Private Servers ]]
    (www.reyox.com) - Mention WHT and get a discount on your first month!

Good luck. Hosting is, as you said, as mess right now. With everyone overselling, it makes the few that don't look way over-priced (to the novice).

Let us know what you come up with.
    DBI Hosting Reliable Web Hosting
    VPS Hosting / cPanel VPS Hosting
    Linux, Windows & BSD
    Backups, Custom Control Panel, 24/7 Support

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast