The Use of "In My Opinion"

Is the use of the term "in my opinion or IMHO overused? If somebody is proved to be a complete prat by making a sweeping statement that is not true...and they retort with..."well it was my opinion"...even though they may have damaged a reputation with the slant...is this acceptable? Should the perpertrators of the term IMHO or "in my opinion" be held to account for their slanderous remarks.

What are your thoughts on this term and it's apparent missuse on public forums?

Simon

An opinion is something that cannot be proven to be true or false. From your post, it seems people aren't giving opinions, however I'd have to see what you're talking about in context to see if it is used correctly or incorrectly.
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.

Chicken

The problem is that in some cases it is overused to hide the fact that they are advertising, or attacking.

I'll only use IMO or IMHO if it indeed is just that, but most of the time it's pretty obvious that it is just that, my own opinion.

I started using it when vendors could not see clearly that it was just that, my own opinion so I use it now to specify that it is definitely from direct experience that I state "X", so that it is not misunderstood to be rumor, something I "Think" happpened or otherwise.
    dotGig
    <:<: [Fruit eating linux administrator]

Originally posted by Samuel
    The problem is that in some cases it is overused to hide the fact that they are advertising, or attacking.

I'll only use IMO or IMHO if it indeed is just that, but most of the time it's pretty obvious that it is just that, my own opinion.

I started using it when vendors could not see clearly that it was just that, my own opinion so I use it now to specify that it is definitely from direct experience that I state "X", so that it is not misunderstood to be rumor, something I "Think" happpened or otherwise.
    Agree, when someone states it is his/her opinion it should be solely that and nothing else.

Telling someone that you think they are an a**hole might be considered slanderous (err... libel), but it's still an opinion. It wouldn't ruin your reputation. Your mother might think you are the sweetest person in the world, but I can still think you're an a**hole, and that's an opinion nevertheless.

Ah hem, none of these comments directed at anyone, just an example.

Another good example. I run a parenting board for younger parents. One of those parents has a father who she won't let see her child, because he's... crazy. He comes to the board all the time (viewing messages, not posting), and I when I made it so guests couldn't view the board and disabled registration to try and keep him away, I received a rather long e-mail when I woke up telling me that he can still visit the board, that he's suing me, everyone on the board, ezboard.com (I use vBulletin ), and my host because of all the slanderous remarks being made on the board about him, talking about how I, as the administrator, encourage it (most of these "slanderous" remarks take place when people are chatting, and I don't ever chat, so I don't see how). His daughter thinks he's a piece of sh*t, and it is in HER opinion that he is. His other daughter loves him. There is nothing slanderous about her saying how she feels about someone, that's where everyone gets mixed up.

Now, maybe if you make up a bunch of posters and post them all over town calling someone specific a slut or something, that would ruin one's reputation.

^ Saw that one on Judge Judy.

BTW, nothing in writing is slander. Slander has to be verbal/oral.

is it just me or all these posts by SimonMc seem like they have some kind of overall objective? maybe I missed it completely.

Anyways... whether or not you take "opinions" seriously is your prerogative. In actuality, whenever I get opinions, I ignore those opinions that don't make sense like if there's no elaboration or support as to why their opinion is such and such...

Misuse of language happens all the time on forums - for example, I'm using ellipses and hyphens in my post (and also you used ellipses) in your post - definately not using these correctly but frankly - who cares?

Originally posted by alpha
    Misuse of language happens all the time on forums - for example, I'm using ellipses and hyphens in my post (and also you used ellipses) in your post - definately not using these correctly but frankly - who cares?
    Ellipses? I don't see any ellipses Do you mean parentheses?

arg... i meant ellipsis!

Originally posted by secludo
    Telling someone that you think they are an a**hole might be considered slanderous (err... libel), but it's still an opinion. It wouldn't ruin your reputation. ...
    I agree. I never take someone's word for that. At most I will put both names on a potential a**hole list pending my own observation, . It is often true that the 2nd person thinks the same of the first and I can never guess which I will like best.

IMO this thread is a bit weird

But that is just my opinion. Others will have their opinion. What is so difficult to understand?