Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    i just found out from namecheap that they cant transfer the domain because 1 and 1 has basically deleted it
    You did say that:
    So being the admin, technical, support, etc etc, except owner contacts on the domain, i call up and say hey, i wanna cancel this domain.
    Looks like they did what you asked.

Edit: dwrunyon beat me to it. Long thread, took me a while to get to the end of it.

well heres the thing, i told them i no longer wanted the hosting package. BUT i wanted to MAINTAIN the domain with them until i could get it transferred to namecheap. but apparently, they deleted EVERYTHING. now they sent an email asking me to confirm the deletion, but if i dont answer it in seven days, nothing happens. so since they screwed this all to heck, im not going to click the links until i can get the domain away.

i spoke with namecheap, and they are going to go after the registar of 1 and 1 which is some screwed up german company, and get the domain from there. hopefully it works. i didnt ask them to delete the domain, i asked them to remove the hosting package and issue a refund for the 2.5 monthes left in the term.

if i was a drinker this whole mess is enough to make me an alcoholic! i asked a simple task be completed, and they cant even do it.

if the domain goes into limbo, i would still be able to get the domain correct? if i understood the whole icann thing, if the orginal owner pulls the domain and transfer it, even after it "expires" he still owns rights to it. is that not true?
    Agent Black Hosting LLC

Proudly hosting clients since 2007

Quote Originally Posted by pbhosting View Post
    well heres the thing, i told them i no longer wanted the hosting package. BUT i wanted to MAINTAIN the domain with them until i could get it transferred to namecheap.
    Well then, what you should have requested is a downgrade in package from Hosting to Instant Domain.

the people should have been bright enough to know what i was talking about. i mean, i was almost to the point of grabbing finger paints and painting a picture for them. thats how basic i made my request. im not sure how much clearer i could have made it.
    Agent Black Hosting LLC

I don't have hosting with 1 and 1, but I do host my domains with them.

Within the last 12 months, I've had to cancel a few domains and I must say that their method of sending you a email after cancelling the domain through the automated system seems to fail. I almost never get the email (since last year) I need to confirm the domain cancellations. I ended up calling their billing/support department to get the domains cancelled.

Ironically, I never had this issue with their automated system before last year and I've been hosting domains with them over 4 years and counting.
    Hosted by: Hudson Valley Host (6 months+)
    Past Hosts
    : LevelHosting (2 years), Speedy Sparrow (2 years), 5ribu (3 months), Cirtex Hosting (5 years), Powweb (2 years), GoDaddy (2 years), SynergyBox (2 months, defunct), Freezoka (6 months), Peachy Dandy (1 year, defunct)

i didnt think it would be this much HEADACHE to transfer a domain out, but apparently im wrong.

im just floored by the rude customer service, lack of respect for customers, and the lack of understanding of the request. id be ashamed if someone did that in my company. but maybe thats just me, and i have a conscious. idk. im off to bed. this whole mess has warn me out

James
    Agent Black Hosting LLC

the people should have been bright enough to know what i was talking about. i mean, i was almost to the point of grabbing finger paints and painting a picture for them. thats how basic i made my request. im not sure how much clearer i could have made it.
    They would have perfectly understood "I need to downgrade my package to Instant Domain (or Domain Only)". You've got to read through their FAQ and understand their nomenclature, because that's what they are taught. Sure, it's less than ideal, but as I said before... once you understand their system it works well.

It has been posted here and elsewhere that when you "cancel" a 1and1 account, all related domains are immediately revoked. They do not survive the cancellation.

The way to do it is to transfer away first, then "try" to cancel. Trust me, it is not easy.

I finally got the one and only domain registered by schlund + partner ag (1and1) transferred away a couple of days ago. Yay !!!!

Why? Last year, the day *BEFORE* the end of registration, the domain quit resolving. They claimed that it had lapsed. Ok, I say, let's renew.
    They say fine, that'll be a $45.00 extra charge. I say, but today is the day before expiry according to whois and my invoices, you jumped the gun. They say, too bad, so sad.

Knowing that it could not be transferred out while in delete mode, I paid. I vowed to tranfer before the next renewal. This has been done.

In the meantime, I have been always happy to retell this story ad infinitum.

BTW, they had to open a dummy account for me to pay them MY $45.00 + RENEWAL FEE because they had already deleted the existing account.

Furthermore, just try deleting your credit card information sometime. It won't work. Even if you are leaving, and there are no bills pending. It won't work.

All the stories about 1and1 lead me to one conclusion, they will hold you hostage for any little reason, and they will hang on to your credit card info to help them do this.
    Last edited by plumsauce; 01-18-2008 at 02:17 AM.
    edgedirector.com
    managed dns global failover and load balance (gslb)
    exactstate.com
    uptime report for webhostingtalk.com

Missed the edit time window.

One of the reasons that you cannot delete or otherwise obfuscate your credit card info, is that they presume that you are going to input new info, and they run out and pre-authorise $6.00 on your credit card, obviously this defeats just deleting the info. There is *no* just delete the card button.
    edgedirector.com
    exactstate.com

This is to bad. I usually see people recommending 1and1 hosting to people. I didn't know the other side of the story...
    www.opticip.com - Optic IP LLC

the only GOOD thing i can say about 1 and 1, is its cheap.. you get what you pay for. cheap hosting, cheap customer service, cheap tech support (WHICH is only there from 8 am to 8 pm glad support issues only happen 12 hrs a day!!)

James
    Agent Black Hosting LLC

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Burtan View Post
    They overbilled me for some "registration fee" and when I called them it was aggravating because their phone support was outsourced in India.
    The now (in)famous RegistryFly outsource(d?) to India as well, and their customer relations were a joke.

HOLY HOT MOSS!!! I FINALLY got someone who cares about customers. Allen inside the sales department infoline, FINALLY figured out what was happening and got it all fixed.

BLESS YOU ALLEN IF YOU READ THIS!!

what 1 and 1 did, was delete the hosting, NO BIG DEAL. but my saving grace is they set the domain to soft expire (which would expire next year) and the domain is clear to be transferred. he even sent me an email just to confirm i have the right epp code listed. bless you allen!

he stated that the sales guy that did this mess should have sent me to their retention department, and never should have messed with it, or transferred me to the india support department.

so thankfully after many phone calls and hours of worrying. ALLS WELL!! now that im free and clear except for one more domain WITHOUT hosting, i will be DONE completely with 1 and 1

James
    Agent Black Hosting LLC

I'm glad your issues were sorted out!

thanks, so am i!! i was so ready to pull my hair out. Im just glad to see that there are people that havent lost touch with true customer service.

thanks everyone, including the moderators for letting me vent on this issue, and to show everyone the types of problems experienced with this host.

James
    Agent Black Hosting LLC

1&1 is one of the worst company's you can host with! They do not care about you... and never will!

Your title summed up perfectly your awful experience.

To people considering 1&1 - don't choose a plan from them, choose to run, run forest, run! I will refer them to your thread.

Cris
    Last edited by crinner; 01-18-2008 at 01:47 PM.
    I've been using HostGator for 38 months.. and it's been awesome.
    Get The Maximum HostGator Discount With These HostGator Coupons!

I haven't had a bad time with 1and1. My friend uses them and their support is amazing. Emails are responded within an hour, and uptime is great.

He's been with them for a couple years now and still going strong.
    Cash4Berry.com - Sell your cell for cash!

if hes getting support requests answered that fast, he must spend a ton of money cuz those of us who dont shell out tons of money to them, get the crap end of the deal. i think the shortest time ive ever waited on an EMAIL support ticket to be answered was 8 hrs. most take 2-3 days. and their phone support, as stated before, is very lacking. as a matter of fact, today i tried them at 0745est GMT-5 and the recording stated their support department was only open from 8a -8pm EST GMT-5.

James
    Agent Black Hosting LLC

if hes getting support requests answered that fast, he must spend a ton of money cuz those of us who dont shell out tons of money to them, get the crap end of the deal.
    I generally get pretty quick responses, usually within an hour or two... and I spend $6 per month with them. Of course, I rarely ever need support, because I have their system down and their setup is always in top working order.

you get what you pay for.
    And as a bonus, they'll throw in an abundance of aggravation for free!
    edgedirector.com
    exactstate.com

I FINALLY got someone who cares about customers. Allen inside the sales department infoline, FINALLY figured out what was happening and got it all fixed.
    No host is perfectly bad, no host is perfectly good. Looks like you finally found that little bit of good at 1and1. Lucky you!

Sometimes I think it's just a hit/miss...

Quote Originally Posted by ldcdc View Post
    Looks like you finally found that little bit of good at 1and1. Lucky you!
    Evidently what he did was finally let go his conscious self, put away the targeting device and allowed The Force to flow through him!

I'd use 1&1 Internet. I think, as Daniel has pointed out, you just have to be an experienced user and know their control panels, their systems and their processes. Once you've got all that, you can manage quite nicely and transfer domains away, after the ICANN-mandated 60-day registrar hold period.

Even though they seem to advertise themselves as being for beginners, they really aren't. 1&1 Internet is for the experienced user, the patient user who doesn't need to be spoon fed but rather can spood feed their tech support people with the right prompting questions that trigger their scripts.

Cheers,
    Doug

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast