20 x 5TB accounts

My bandwidth requirements is about 20TB per month.

I've tried having multiple servers with Ecatel, FDCServers etc. Though the shared bandwidth causes slowness at times. Having a dedicated line is out of budget for now.

So alternatively, I'm thinking about buying 20 or so shared 5TB accounts with different providers such as Dreamhost, Hostican etc and then distributing my 20TB requirements on a combined 100TB pool.

If I look at $10 being the average shared cost per month that is $200USD/month for 20x5TB accounts, compared to $600USD for a few unmetered 100mbps shared servers averaging 30mbps.

This way, having 20 accounts equates to 1/5 of the b/w needs on each account which means 1TB per account?

Thanks

If I were you I'd consider dedicated server for your needs. Anyway it would be easy to manage and would be troubleless.

lol the shared providers would boot you before you manage use up even a 10th of the bandwidth

stop dreaming

Try getting servers in mutiple locations to get better speeds.

Anything shared won't last too much and will get you poor speeds, that's for sure.
    Cheapest Multiple C Class IP Hosting

wow, man you will never reach your destination, may be after 100 years

Yea, you probably hit the CPU limit (and be kicked off) before you manage to use 5 TB.

Why the high bandwith usage anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Dedicational View Post
    Yea, you probably hit the CPU limit (and be kicked off) before you manage to use 5 TB.

Why the high bandwith usage anyway?

I honestly don't think it will chew up much CPU. On my other Lighttpd servers that crank out 30mbps non-stop continuously, my load is showing: 0.08 0.12 0.10 0.09

So I don't think it would be too much of a problem.

you don't understand, no company will pickup your bandwidth costs!

just because them shared hosts promise you one "unlimited" everything doesn't mean you will get it, beside blatantly lying to you once you stand out above the rest and make a dent in the balance sheet you be booted in no time

make a solid business plan and stop kidding yourself

and how do you expect compile lighttpd on shared hosts that give you no ssh or very limited ssh?

Dreamhost uses apache

But ok, if you don't use much CPU there won't be much problem in using Dreamhost I guess. Maybe an interesting read for Dreamhost vs serving lots of bandwith: http://phaedo.cx/archives/2007/07/14...ntally-served/
    Still, 5 TB is alot.

mihd, if you do it the right way and actually get your bandwidth distributed across multiple hosts correctly, I'd say it's feasible to pull this off.

It's still risky stuff though.

i know all about distributing huge amounts of bandwidth across many servers, and it ain't cheap

anyways best of luck i tried my best to give sound advice

maybe make a thread here few months down the road and detail your experiences and some stats, should be an interesting read

cheerios

have to ask too what you're keeping on those servers that would need that much.

Quote Originally Posted by GezGas View Post
    have to ask too what you're keeping on those servers that would need that much.
    multimedia

I'd recommend you keep going with dedicated servers, since you won't be able to achieve even 10% of those 5TB without getting suspended.

Gigaron, are u still with us? Can u please let me know your ip address if u are. Currently we are upgrading our network a lot, the big updates will be performed by end of January. Then we will also be able to adjust your current gigabit shared uplinks to gigabit unshared if u wish. Please let us know, thanks
    Ecatel (NETHERLANDS) LIMITED.
    High bandwidth dedicated server provider in Europe!
    SPEEDTEST: http://89.248.167.11/100mb.bin MSN & EMAIL: sales @ ecatel.info
    Live Chat Support @ http://ecatel.info

Think of it this way: Do you want to risk your site's availability on the exploiting of a marketing trick?

I'm not really sure if your hosting anything that's legal, though. If it were legal, getting high quality, high paying advertisers to show interstitial ads on video and audio would be easy. You could very simply pay your way to 20TB of transfer, provide a fast and reliable site, and make a killing off it at the same time. But if it's illegal, then you're not going to find anyone who's going to directly advertise on the site. You'll have to make do with indirect advertising, like Adwords or Overture. And that's not going to make you anywhere near enough money.

Regardless, don't rely on hosting where you're trying to trick the system. You're going to end up with a closed down account most likely. And if you're hosting anything illegal, then you're going to last an even shorter amount of time.

Edit: Ok, I read through your post history and see that it's adult stuff. You should be able to get that legally, so at least that's out of the way. And there is a rather prolific advertising market out there, assuming you're not doing subscription-based stuff. So, I still say you shouldn't risk your business on marketing ploys. Keep your own server and find some cheap bandwidth. GNAX does a Cogent, Telia, PCCWBTN mix for $20 per Mbit. That'll be very fast and only about $1200-$1300 per month for the transfer.
    Last edited by timdorr; 01-17-2008 at 02:29 PM.
    Former owner of A Small Orange
    New owner of <COMING SOON>

If your website can't pay for its own hosting, then don't run it.

It isn't fair to load 20TB bandwidth on shared servers, no matter if they advertise it.

20 TB per month!? What sites do you run? I doubt even all of IAC's websites (Ask.com, Bloglines, Fun Web Products, iWon, Excite, etc.) use 20 TB per month combined. Massively popular Twitter doesn't even use 20 TB per month, I'm sure.

Cheers,
    Doug

Quote Originally Posted by dmehus View Post
    20 TB per month!? What sites do you run? I doubt even all of IAC's websites (Ask.com, Bloglines, Fun Web Products, iWon, Excite, etc.) use 20 TB per month combined. Massively popular Twitter doesn't even use 20 TB per month, I'm sure.

Cheers,
    Doug
    I'll bet ask.com chews through 20tb in a day..

Quote Originally Posted by dmehus View Post

Cheers,
    Doug
    Are you kidding me? 20 TB is nothing for those kinds of massive popular sites, these probably have dedicated datacenters.

Quote Originally Posted by J Tullock View Post
    I'll bet ask.com chews through 20tb in a day..
    I'd say more. Just for an exaggerated perspective, youtube uses at least 20TB in about 2 hours... Probably more...
    Last edited by Paul-M; 01-17-2008 at 03:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigaron View Post
    multimedia
    That is too general - Something like youtube? (Videos) Dizzler? (Music) Adult (Videos/Streaming)
    RageTracks.com -- Discover the latest Electronic Dance Music

I'd go with Amazon Web Services. It's the only solution i can think about.

Anyways having 20TB a month bandwidth and not being able to pay for it seems just wrong.

Good Luck!

Amazon will be just very expensive... a lot more than dedis with dedi bandwidth...
    Cheapest Multiple C Class IP Hosting

You should really explore making use of your traffic. I can't believe a website with 20TB traffic can't pay for itself?!

Quote Originally Posted by eric418 View Post
    You should really explore making use of your traffic. I can't believe a website with 20TB traffic can't pay for itself?!

Not if he is serving up warez. 20TB isn't much if you are dishing out 5GB files.

That's only 4000 visitors or so. Even if he finds someone to advertise, or uses AdWords. At 0.01% CTR thats 4 hits out of 20TB.

Last edited by dbihosting; 01-17-2008 at 05:56 PM.
    DBI Hosting Reliable Web Hosting
    VPS Hosting / cPanel VPS Hosting
    Linux, Windows & BSD
    Backups, Custom Control Panel, 24/7 Support

IF he is really serving warez, the site should be able to pay for itself easily, and he should need to ask for help here.

No warez site will rely on AdWords for revenue.

Quote Originally Posted by eric418 View Post
    IF he is really serving warez, the site should be able to pay for itself easily, and he should need to ask for help here.

No warez site will rely on AdWords for revenue.
    Really? How does a warez site make money? Their banned from basically every ad publisher and internet program. Most of the warez sites I have ever seen ex ( t-warez.com, xsharex.info) rely on donations.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Patti View Post
    Really? How does a warez site make money? Their banned from basically every ad publisher and internet program. Most of the warez sites I have ever seen ex ( t-warez.com, xsharex.info) rely on donations.
    shouldn't be discussed in this thread, but warez sites got a complete different kinds of ad business/network.

you should do some google, those sites you listed are just kiddy things, those popular warez sites are big business.

Thats allot of bandwidth a month. Especially to not be able to afford something more then shared

I think the OP posted an interesting question. How can someone offer a plan with 5TB for $10? It is somewhat a scam -- probably there are zillions of conditions on the AUP/TOS precluding the usage of 5TB. But the OP is not intending to use the full 5TB but just 1TB as his plan is to sign 20 5TB plans but use 20TB. If a hosting provider offering 5TB cancel someone using 1TB of legal static content then there is something very wrong here. Surely 1TB costs much more than $10 but the provider is offering 5TB and the OP is using just 20%.
    You will only find out how good a provider is when the going gets tough

Yeah allot of things I've been finding/running into they offer lets say 5TB but then you only have lets say 500kb connection(just a example) so really you'll only lets say 500gig bandwidth that month because of the connection restrictions.