Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Is it ethical for web hosting companies to write their own reviews?

Is it ethical for web hosting companies to write fake third party reviews?

IMHO no no and absolutely not, if you do not have reviews do not put it, if you have bad reviews you can choose not to put it. But to fake reviews is totally a No No. Not ethical is really an understatement.

Well, I stopped believing in those "testimonials" a loooong time ago. I prefer to review the hosting company myself with the help of Google and other sources (such as WHT).

Question

How about in this case?

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyPenguin View Post

Thats a question ?
    Graham Craig

"IT'S NOT HOW GOOD YOU ARE, IT'S HOW BAD YOU WANT IT."

How about in this case?
    I don't search for "thathost.com reviews" but rather for keywords like "thathost.com scam" or "thathost.com blues" (to quote your link).

It is definately not ethical and in my eyes it is scamming members, if a host has to write their own reviews it is obvious they are not very good

Hell no!
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!

How about in this case?
    Well, that's great & all but it looks like someone has a grudge -- whether or not the statements are accurate. Funny & sad at the same time.
    David
    Web hosting by Fused For businesses with more important things to do than worry about their hosting.

If your writing your own testimonials, what's the point of them. Testimonials are meant to show users that other people are happy with your service.

Is it ethical to fake?

Quote Originally Posted by Illustrious View Post
    Is it ethical to fake?
    Only if you're a woman.

How can a hosting company objectively review itself? There lies the answer to your question.
    Matthew Russell | Namecheap
    Twitter: @mattdrussell

www.namecheap.com - hosting from a registrar DONE RIGHT!

Just saw the link and that it's BlueHost. Doesn't surprise me much anymore.

I find it incredible that hosts such as LunarPages, DreamHost, BlueHost etc still get recommended on WHT. They have no morals or ethics and they practice underhand tactics all day long to win people's business. Does no other large hosting company like to win business through good service and the ethical channels?
    Matthew Russell | Namecheap
    Twitter: @mattdrussell

www.namecheap.com - hosting from a registrar DONE RIGHT!

I'm surprised you even ask this question, as the answer is quite obvious... NO.
    InvoiceMore - Online Billing & Invoicing
    phpDataMapper - Object-Oriented PHP5 Data Mapper ORM

I vote.. YES!

Hey, someone had to.
    DBI Hosting Reliable Web Hosting
    VPS Hosting / cPanel VPS Hosting
    Linux, Windows & BSD
    Backups, Custom Control Panel, 24/7 Support

Writting fake reviews is called Fraud, if one customer found out you didn't host that site you said or that person didn't write it, then your business would fail.. Wait until you get customers and kindly ask them after a month or two to write a review on your service.

Of course not.

I'd say probably 99% reviews we found on the Internet now are fake. And "almost" all host ranking sites are nothing but lists of affiliate links.

Quote Originally Posted by mdrussell View Post
    Just saw the link and that it's BlueHost. Doesn't surprise me much anymore.
    Kinda makes you wonder how many of these "review" sites some hosts actually own. I bet some would own dozens. Great for SEO obviously, and they even have affiliate links for the other hosts displayed beneath themselves.

Hi!
    Funny you should mention SEO. In your other post..you mentioned you really needed to start a blog. From what i understand..a blog is a huge way to help SEO rankings.

Even if you really said elsewhere as a joke..it honestly might not be a bad idea.

Bryon
    Bryon L Harvey
    Soil Relocation Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by Fixago View Post
    Only if you're a woman.
    I don't see ethic relation with sex

Quote Originally Posted by bryonhost1 View Post
    Hi!
    Funny you should mention SEO. In your other post..you mentioned you really needed to start a blog. From what i understand..a blog is a huge way to help SEO rankings.

Even if you really said elsewhere as a joke..it honestly might not be a bad idea.
    Yeah, you got that right.

Quote Originally Posted by Fixago View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Illustrious View Post
    Is it ethical to fake?
    Only if you're a woman.
    *leaves this one well alone and hopes Fixago has a good place to hide from the women folk of the forum*
    Host to avoid at all costs - Real Web Host

Mouse potato - The online generations version of a couch potato

Nice litmus test, CrazyPenguin.
    Canvas Host, LLC - http://www.canvas.host - 800.574.4299
    cPanel shared and reseller plans. Softaculous, RVSiteBuilder.
    200% renewable wind power offset, sustainable practices, certified B Corporation.
    30-Day Money-Back, 99.9% Uptime, No-Oversell.

Without a second thought, its obviously not ethical. Whether its webhosting or anything else.
    [[ Reyox Communications / USA based cloud servers & support / 9 years of hosting websites ]]
    [[ Affordable ASP.NET4, ColdFusion, PHP & MS-SQL, MySQL, cPanel/WHM & Windows Reseller Hosting + Virtual Private Servers ]]
    (www.reyox.com) - Mention WHT and get a discount on your first month!

Quote Originally Posted by bryonhost1 View Post
    Hi!
    From what I've gathered, Google are actually starting to "downrank" the importance of blogs in their index. But in any case; putting your brand out there is always a good idea

Depends on one's ethics, I guess. However, the FTC might find that an issue if sufficiently brought to their attention.

It is no more ethical for a hosting company to write it's own reviews than for any other business to do the same.

A review implies third party involvement. A self written piece about the business is a sales blurb.
    edgedirector.com
    managed dns global failover and load balance (gslb)
    exactstate.com
    uptime report for webhostingtalk.com

No, absolutely not. It's never OK.

That said, most "review" sites are entirely made up of web hosting company-written reviews *or* are filled with the companies offering the top 10 highest paying affiliate link programs.

Kudos to sites like David's HostJury. It's the only one I've been able to find that's not a forum a la WebHostingTalk.com that offers user written reviews.

As for Matt Heaton and his surreptitious, deceitful, fraudulent "reviews", shame on him. Shame on HostMonster, BlueHost, FastDomain and 0catch.com - all of this Web hosting brands, both paid and free, ad-supported. In fact, I'll make a prediction, these are the tactics of a guy building up a business very fast so he can cash out by way of a buyout. Mark my words, hold me to the fire, but at least two of those brands (maybe not FastDomain and 0catch.com) will be the next companies sold to the ultra-evil Endurance International Group.

Cheers,
    Doug

Hi Doug,

I agree with your points, but you (this goes for everyone) might consider abstaining from posting comments like this on a public forum. Whether or not what you say is true, it is heavily opinionated and could be viewed as libelous/slanderous.

Even if you're in the right, you don't want to attract the attention of a slander lawsuit. This is one reason negative posts and forums (especially, industry blacklist forums) are so difficult to set up and run.
    Canvas Host, LLC - http://www.canvas.host - 800.574.4299
    cPanel shared and reseller plans. Softaculous, RVSiteBuilder.
    200% renewable wind power offset, sustainable practices, certified B Corporation.
    30-Day Money-Back, 99.9% Uptime, No-Oversell.

IMHO, no and to prove why I feel this way, here's a post by a young lady who used to be an employee of a certain web hosting company sometime last year before she lost her job.

If I didn't know this person so well, I'd suspect the post of being in the nature of a "disgruntled employee". However, it's not, she's not and the topic is a very revealing piece from the viewpoint of someone on the inside.

Read for yourself and decide: Insider's Viewpoint

Sure it is. And this is a widespread problem, not just here but in all other sites that use reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by MerlinsLair View Post
    IMHO, no and to prove why I feel this way, here's a post by a young lady who used to be an employee of a certain web hosting company sometime last year before she lost her job.

If I didn't know this person so well, I'd suspect the post of being in the nature of a "disgruntled employee". However, it's not, she's not and the topic is a very revealing piece from the viewpoint of someone on the inside.

Read for yourself and decide: Insider's Viewpoint
    Ouch! Amy wants to be known as the lunarpages "slut" according to this. I would love to hear her response.

Kind of makes Liam yesterdays news.
    Technical Advisor for new A&E Series The Killing Season
    There are no random acts of violence
    Starts November 5th!

Quote Originally Posted by AHFB HTML View Post
    Ouch! Amy wants to be known as the lunarpages "slut" according to this. I would love to hear her response.
    The intention to highlight women's issues just backfired terribly when it was known that the whole thing was fake.

Kind of makes Liam yesterdays news.
    Who the h3ll is this Liam fellow who seem to pop up now and then here on WHT???

If its in the form of press releases and there demarked as such I think theyre ok. It's when it's done to misconstrue it as a third party opinion that crosses the line.
    Ralph Smith ~ New Business Hosting Inc.
    http://www.newbusinesshosting.com
    24x7 Support cPanel, Fast Setup

Hi,

It is obviously wrong to fake a testimonial.

And to be honest if your service is good and your customers are happy then you will never have a need to fake one!

Always include the customers name and web site when adding a testimonial so that any potential customers can contact them if they so wish.

We pride ourselves on our customer service and this shows in the range of testimonials we receive each one being 100% legit :-)

Thanks

Paul
    PAC Web Hosting | www.pacwebhosting.co.uk | Affordable and Reliable UK Hosting
    Need good honest advice about a hosting solution without obligation? - 0333 123 8000 (UK)
    Let us find the perfect solution for you! - Money back guarantee - Happy Customers HERE
    Buy Web Hosting | UK Web Hosting | cPanel Partner | SSL Certs | Domain Names

It worrys me anyone even asked this question... the answer is obviously NO!
    Toby H
    Infrastructure Consultant
    SolutionFire.co.uk
    cPanel | VMware | XenServer | cPanel | 3PAR | R1soft

Quote Originally Posted by Toby H View Post
    It worrys me anyone even asked this question... the answer is obviously NO!
    I agree with this post. Why is this even being discussed? Clearly not ethical.

If that's a serious question, and you really don't know, I'd suggest never acting on one of your own decisions without running it past someone else first.

The good thing about fake reviews is that they've created the need for the thousands of useless review sites out there.

There is absolutely nothing that can be done to stop them or verify that reviews are legit, which is why review sites are useless. Just like verifying domains here doesn't prove anything either.

Domains are cheap. Hosts can buy them up, throw up crappy sites and flood the net with positive reviews. It doesn't mean they all do, but it would be foolish to think that none do.

So, if you have no idea of which reviews are fake and which aren't, what can you possibly accomplish by reading through a review site, besides clicking on a masked affiliate link and giving someone money?

It also works both ways. Bad reviews can be fake write-ups from competitors, so a lot of bad ones doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad host.

Then, a lot of the honest negative reviews are meaningless as well, because it's usually the result of a tantrum. When I read a review that says, "They cut me off for no reason," I instantly translate it to, "My warez site is currently offline."

That post about Lunarpages is good reading for anyone that's curious about what hosts with zero ethics do. The good thing about Lunarpages is that no matter how much you hate your current host, you can cheer yourself up by thinking, "At least they're not Lunarpages."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast