A little help from your programmers :)

I have a client who has a website which has a pretty basic backend script running called Protosite, the script worked from 2002 through about 2006 and they said at that point the script quit working. I am assuming it was probably when we made the move from mySQL 3.2.3 > 4.0 and it is somehow related.

I am far from a programmer but did some basic troubleshooting and watched the logs tried a few different things and it seems we can add and edit records but when a record should be deleted it just does nothing and does not remove the record.

What I am wondering is the client is looking for advice from me as if they should hire someone to look at it and possibly fix the issue or have someone start from the ground up.

With the original script developer being MIA at this point I am kind of leaning from having them get someone to totally rebuild the site as needed.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Are you getting an errors at all during run-time?

If it executes fine and just doesn't output anything, its pretty hard to help

If they're otherwise happy with what the script does, they have some time / training invested in it, and the source is available, I'd say it's worth trying to resurrect. MySQL versions are mostly backward-compatible so if it's really a 3.23 - 4.0x incompatibility there's probably very little that needs changing.

It's more common for old scripts to fail due to PHP incompatibilities (did you also change the state of register_globals and / or switch to php-cgi, by any chance?)
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

Thanks guys, I am pretty sure it is a 3.2.3 > 4.0 issue as it is about the time I upgraded mySQL and PHP was not for some time after that.

Is the best option to usually get someone off a site such as rentacoder or possibly someone here at WHT?

and no, there are no errors at all which is usually how I attempt to work these issues out

Not everything register's as an error.

In MySQL config file there is a line for error reporting, look for this and change it to output everything (Errors/Warnings/Info) (which i think may be the option E_ALL???) just whilst your debugging the script. It's stupid but it does help (I once had it set to show errors only, and the bug I was after only gave a warning).

Hope this helps, if not feel free to PM me and I can guide you through some more in depth debugging.

If you can setup a test environment (copy the website to another account for example), I can try to debug it inside.

It is hard to tell the problem from here
    Fraud Record - Stop Fraud Clients, Report Abusive Customers.
    █ Combine your efforts to fight misbehaving clients.

HarzemDesign - Highest quality, well designed and carefully coded hosting designs. Not cheap though.
    █ Large and awesome portfolio, just visit and see!

You said you upgraded MySQL AND PHP? Are you sure this is not a PHP 4.x to PHP 5.x issue?
    InvoiceMore - Online Billing & Invoicing
    phpDataMapper - Object-Oriented PHP5 Data Mapper ORM

Either you have some really complex SQL queries that broke in the upgrade, or its a PHP version mismatch problem. I'm also leaning towards the latter.