Angry Webhostingstuff.com - Dishonest

Hi All,

I visited webhostingstuff.com after hostevery.com had wasted nearly 2 days of my time (I just got everything transferred over, and they had nearly 2 days of downtime - so I had to get a new hosting account and transfer everything over again!) So I wasnt very happy.
    I wrote a very honest, yet negative review of hostevery on webhostingstuff.

I went back today to find that my review had been removed, and the uptime was not showing downtime for the days that they were down.

I find this very dishonst practice, as I bought hosting with hostevery because of thier reccomendation, which I now know was false.

I have since sent them an email asking for an explanation, but all my emails have gone un-answered - Not very professional behaviour is it!

I feel that this is wrong, misleading consumers in favour of sponsor income!

Has anyone else had similar problems with them?

You'll find 90% of those type of websites are dishonest, either the Web Host pays them to take them down or the review site has adverts from the Web Host or other such stuff.

A much better and reliable place to get your reviews is right here on WHT...

webhostingstuff.com allows hosts to take down a certain amount of reviews from the public eye.

A long time ago someone wrote a few fake reviews about my company at WebHostingStuff.com. It took us many days to get the Administrators to remove them.

webhostingstuff.com allows hosts to take down a certain amount of reviews from the public eye.
    Is that still a feature of their system? I was reading a while ago that uptime altering is no longer as easy as it used to be, and half-assumed things have changed in this regard too.

I have since sent them an email asking for an explanation, but all my emails have gone un-answered - Not very professional behaviour is it!
    Well now, given the number of hosts they list and the number of emails that customers (and apparently hosts) send them, it would be no wonder if emails would take time to get an answer, or if some would get no answer at all. This is not a paid service after all.

And a great place to let the world know about hosts you're or have been happy or unhappy with as well.

so I had to get a new hosting account and transfer everything over again!
    Good luck with your new new provider.

Hi!
    Harder than to alter uptime? Please. That was a feature not so long ago..are they actually trying to make it "more honest" now? Too late in my book.

Bryon
    Bryon L Harvey
    Soil Relocation Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by Danny_G View Post
    You'll find 90% of those type of websites are dishonest, either the Web Host pays them to take them down or the review site has adverts from the Web Host or other such stuff.

Thats funny. Ha.
    \\\\ High Performance Business Grade LiteSpeed Hosting
    //// Shared \|/ Reseller \|/ Dedicated \|/ Custom Tailored Solutions \|/ Domains \|/ SSL Certs
    \\\\ get WIRED \|/ general(AT)wiredwebwork.com \|/ 240-670-HOST
    //// True Quality 24/7 support(Chat, Email, Ticket) 9-5 est. phone support

WebHostingStuff.com only reports uptime for a single domain/host, which you enter into your profile. They are not capable of reporting uptime for multiple hosts or entire networks. That in and of itself casts doubt on the accuracy of the overall uptime reports.

Further, they openly state that if you have questions regarding your uptime, they will correct it for you. About a year ago they erroneously reported downtime on our end several times. After contacting them to inquire, magically the reported outages disappeared. At the same time, so did two valid outages for the one server in question (which had undergone planned maintenance) and for which we had informed our customers in advance. Since that time, the "correct" outages have reappeared on our uptime profile.

Any time reported numbers can be altered, for any reason -- whether to correct an error or not -- it casts into doubt the veracity of those figures. After noting several additional, erroneously reported outages, we asked WHS to just remove our profile from their site. While they did not remove our profile, yet again the uptime stats were wiped clean. And since that time, again, the "correct" outages have reappeared.

As a result of the "fuzzy" numbers, we decided against linking to their site or further referencing our profile and uptime stats as reported by them. We don't feel the numbers are accurate. If there IS in fact downtime in our network, we want those numbers out there in the public. It's our problem and we want to be held accountable. At the same time, we don't want an independent service magically creating and altering stats from their reports whenever they please, and without any sort of separate accountability to prevent abuse by the "preferred" hosts that use its service.
    Canvas Host, LLC - http://www.canvas.host - 800.574.4299
    cPanel shared and reseller plans. Softaculous, RVSiteBuilder.
    200% renewable wind power offset, sustainable practices, certified B Corporation.
    30-Day Money-Back, 99.9% Uptime, No-Oversell.

Thanks for sharing this review with us. Hope you have better luck with your next host.
    ResellerTemple.Com & CsIdea.US
    Marketing & Design & Programming for Competitive Price!

This is an old thread regarding WebhostingStuff, but thought I'd throw my comments into this as well.

I think that for something that's (free) and not terribly sophisticated, the value of giving the uptime for a host's main website isn't terrible. It says something if a hosting company can't even get 99% uptime for their own site.

However, I also think planned maintenance is something that should be able to get reported in advance - perhaps 3,5,7, x days
    and not have in count against your up time.

<<Signatures to be set up in your profile>>
    Last edited by bear; 06-22-2008 at 07:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jcy1978 View Post
    I think that for something that's (free) and not terribly sophisticated, the value of giving the uptime for a host's main website isn't terrible. It says something if a hosting company can't even get 99% uptime for their own site.
    That's if it's accurate - in our case, we had a significant problem with the accuracy of the uptime count and we had to ask that they stop recording us altogether. If it's from one PoP, and that PoP isn't great with its routing, then innocent hosts get branded with a claim that their site is down when the reality of their site being up or down down may have nothing to do with what's recorded there.

In our case, we could document that we had absolutely no down time from multiple points on the net and our own access logs. Our clients reported absolutely nothing. The three separate monitoring systems, two external and one internal, reported nothing. WHS was the only place reporting problems and the problems they reported simply didn't factually exist.

At one time we were going include WHS's info as part of marketing but it simply wasn't reliable.
    Jen Lepp
    “Customer service represents the heart of a brand in the hearts of its customers.” – Kate Nasser

I suppose looking at them, there are good and bad reviews. But how many are real and how many are fake. Someone here said before about To get the right reviews come to WHT, This is good and bad in my opinion, Yeah some will tell great reviews on a host but some will criticise which is allowed.

So when it comes down to it, You really need to make your own decision, You will never know unless you take the plunge.
    l Dedigeeks (Twitter) Shared Reseller Cloud VPS Since 2010
    l Leading AU Hosting Provider Multiple locations - around the globe!
    l cPanel/WHM R1Soft Backups 24/7/365 Support 99.9% Uptime Guarantee
    l www.yourcompanynamehere.com Customer Service Rep. Superior Service Guarantee

Quote Originally Posted by JetWash View Post
    ...Someone here said before about To get the right reviews come to WHT...
    At least here at WHT, the hosting companies aren't shoved in our faces like in Webhostingstuff.com.

Quote Originally Posted by canvas View Post
    WebHostingStuff.com only reports uptime for a single domain/host, which you enter into your profile. They are not capable of reporting uptime for multiple hosts or entire networks. That in and of itself casts doubt on the accuracy of the overall uptime reports.
    This is the case for ALL uptime checkers. WHS is no different in this regard.

In regards to planned maintenance, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I think from a customer standpoint downtime is a bad thing, whether it is planned or not. Therefore, I think it is a good thing that WHS reports ALL downtime, irrespective of whether or not the host claims it was "planned maintenance."

One reason their numbers seem "fuzzy" is because they check uptime once every 30 minutes. Most services check anywhere from between 1 and 60 minutes, so 30 minutes is not perfectly accurate, but it is still sufficient to give you a pretty good idea of which hosts to stay away from.

Most importantly, when judging uptime, what REALLY matters is how far back the statistics go. 100% uptime for 1 week means nothing, whereas 99.x% uptime going back 5 years, while not perfect, shows that the host has truly been around for a while, and that its fairly reliable.

WHS is still a great tool for researching a host. It is not the end-all be-all, by any means, but used together with other forms of research can be pretty helpful in whether to rule out a particular host, IMO.

(In the interest of full disclosure, I have only ever had one review deleted from WHS. It was from a phisher/spammer who lost "important data" when his account was terminated for spamming, and he wanted to get revenge. For these types of cases, I think hosts should have some recourse, and I'm glad WHS allows hosts to do that, whether they pay to use their service or not. Considering the 1000's of hosts they have to mediate, I think its a pretty fair system overall.)
    eVerity.com
    Celebrating 9 years of customer service. Domain names, shared/semi-dedicated/dedicated hosting, SSL certificates, merchant accounts, reseller options, and referral program, since July 2000.

Quote Originally Posted by everity View Post
    In regards to planned maintenance, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I think from a customer standpoint downtime is a bad thing, whether it is planned or not. Therefore, I think it is a good thing that WHS reports ALL downtime, irrespective of whether or not the host claims it was "planned maintenance."
    Not all hosts suspend monitoring for maintenance - we personally leave monitoring up during maintenance and state we do because the simple fact is if the server's down, it's down for the client and I personally feel the purpose of an uptime monitor is to give the client an accurate idea of what his experiences will be.

Even though we do that, none of our commercial monitoring reported anything like what they were reporting when they were recording us.

One reason their numbers seem "fuzzy" is because they check uptime once every 30 minutes. Most services check anywhere from between 1 and 60 minutes, so 30 minutes is not perfectly accurate, but it is still sufficient to give you a pretty good idea of which hosts to stay away from.
    If you restart Apache and the web server is unresponsive for 30-60 seconds as things restart, and you're unlucky enough to have them hit you when that's happening, you get dinged for a 30 minute outage? How's that fair?

Most importantly, when judging uptime, what REALLY matters is how far back the statistics go. 100% uptime for 1 week means nothing, whereas 99.x% uptime going back 5 years, while not perfect, shows that the host has truly been around for a while, and that its fairly reliable.
    That still doesn't address their reliability. If a third party is going to monitor my company and then purport to present information on my company, they have a responsibility to make sure that it's totally accurate, or as close to accurate as it can be.
    Jen Lepp
    “Customer service represents the heart of a brand in the hearts of its customers.” – Kate Nasser

Quote Originally Posted by Lhiannon View Post
    If you restart Apache and the web server is unresponsive for 30-60 seconds as things restart, and you're unlucky enough to have them hit you when that's happening, you get dinged for a 30 minute outage? How's that fair?
    Its more a matter of accuracy, than fairness. No monitoring service completely accurate, or fair. One thing that makes WHS MORE FAIR than others is that if they notice your site is down they increase the frequency at which they check until it comes back up. (They were going to make it increase to every 5 minutes, though I've never tested it myself to see exactly how much they increase it to.) Most uptime checkers do not do this.
    eVerity.com
    Celebrating 9 years of customer service. Domain names, shared/semi-dedicated/dedicated hosting, SSL certificates, merchant accounts, reseller options, and referral program, since July 2000.

A quality Uptime Checker would already have a high frequency of checks to begin with so increasing the frequency would be a moot point.

I think WHS does a decent job for what they have to offer, although I wouldn't make my hosting decision personally based upon their uptime reports.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

Its more a matter of accuracy, than fairness. No monitoring service completely accurate, or fair. One thing that makes WHS MORE FAIR than others is that if they notice your site is down they increase the frequency at which they check until it comes back up. (They were going to make it increase to every 5 minutes, though I've never tested it myself to see exactly how much they increase it to.) Most uptime checkers do not do this.
    Ok. I think we're going to have to agree to disagree on this one because my core problem with them is simply that their purported uptime checker had absolutely no relation to the reality of any other uptime checker we used.
    Jen Lepp

This is the case for ALL uptime checkers. WHS is no different in this regard.
    This is not true. Many third party services enable you to monitor multiple servers and/or network components by IP/hostname.

Uptime for a single server is one thing; uptime for the overall network is another.

That WHS will reset statistics upon request shows they don't even trust the numbers they are generating. If the numbers are accurate, why should they offer to reset them?

Further, suppose a host has dozens of servers, but just a single one is being tracked by WHS and is rebooted or undergoing maintenance when WHS checks in. The reported outage would be incorrectly reflective of the host's entire network.

WHS seems really aimed at the single-server host or reseller, but simply isn't a worthwhile option for a larger provider.

Best regards,

David
    200% renewable wind power offset, sustainable practices, certified B Corporation.

Quote Originally Posted by Lhiannon View Post
    Ok. I think we're going to have to agree to disagree on this one because my core problem with them is simply that their purported uptime checker had absolutely no relation to the reality of any other uptime checker we used.
    Precisely. We stopped using them because they reported outages that did NOT occur, while failing to report outages that DID in fact occur.

Thank you,

David

This idea that they reset stats upon request to provide a false reading is no onger true (though it was at one time). They fixed this a few months ago. Yes, you can reset your stats, but doing so also deletes all records prior to the reset, which is fair.

I don't normally get involved in threads on this site because they never seem to end, but I feel WHS is often targeted unfairly way too often. Much of what is said about them was true at one time, but the owner, Michael, has done a pretty good job of continually improving the service. I wish you guys would just talk to him directly, as I have. You would see that he is really making an effort to keep the service fair and top-notch, and that he doesn't favor any host over another.

No service is perfect, but I have to give props to people who are doing their best to make this industry better, and based on my personal experience with WHS, I feel it is one of those companies.

Also, keep in mind that WHS is not, nor does it purport to be, comprehensive in this regard. It is a directory first, and a research tool second. Uptime checking is there as bonus information for those researching a host.

Further, any host using a 3rd party monitor, even those that check multiple servers, can manipulate the results. No 3rd party uptime monitoring service could possibly know about every server a host has.

Rather than hashing all of this out again, please check this tutorial, as it might shed some insight on the situation for anyone reading this who isn't familiar with choosing a host on the basis of uptime:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=623727
    Last edited by everity; 06-22-2008 at 10:31 PM.
    eVerity.com

I had this problem months ago with crisphosting, The support rep left me and put chat offline while i was waiting for him, The support is never on. When i email them no-responce or nothing. So i went over to hostgator.