Thread: Grrr

Angry Grrr

Well it would appear I've had my first irreversible hosting scam happen today. I had a user purchase a year of hosting and four domains from us. We registered them and his account was setup. The user took all the domains and when I checked Paypal I noticed that the payment was reversed. The user claimed that his account had been hacked into and Paypal gave him all the money back.

How frustrating! Obviously the price of four domains definitely isn't something that we will care about, but the fact that it was that simple for him to get in and get out with four free domains is quite irritating. We do indeed use Maxmind fraud services and according to them it was a safe transaction.

Okay rant over!

Mike

or the fact that paypall is that dumb?

we need to make a new one....fast..without retards working there..
    Who is this infamous HTML i keep hearing of, is she cute?

Paypals great like that, they're absolutely useless. Well it appears the account was hacked, so... Well we're not going to do anything for you just reverse the payment and leave you missing the funds. Have a nice day.
    Edrick Smith
    Film Production

Quote Originally Posted by MikeWalczak View Post
    Well it would appear I've had my first irreversible hosting scam happen today. I had a user purchase a year of hosting and four domains from us. We registered them and his account was setup. The user took all the domains and when I checked Paypal I noticed that the payment was reversed. The user claimed that his account had been hacked into and Paypal gave him all the money back.

How frustrating! Obviously the price of four domains definitely isn't something that we will care about, but the fact that it was that simple for him to get in and get out with four free domains is quite irritating. We do indeed use Maxmind fraud services and according to them it was a safe transaction.

Okay rant over!

Mike
    Mike,

You should be able to delete the domains and get the credit back on your account...

But again - just one more reason why I stopped taking PayPal.
    Nick Hudson - Prevail Host LLC - http://www.prevail.host/
    Premium Quality cPanel Hosting Services - CloudLinux, LiteSpeed & SSD
    WHMControl - Secure Your Server Logins & Automate Password Changes

You may be the legal owner of the domains, if efectively they were purchased with 'your money'. It should not matter who they are reg. to, You have ended up paying for them.

You can get a domain refund within 5 days of initial registration. Don't miss it!
    Fraud Record - Stop Fraud Clients, Report Abusive Customers.
    █ Combine your efforts to fight misbehaving clients.

HarzemDesign - Highest quality, well designed and carefully coded hosting designs. Not cheap though.
    █ Large and awesome portfolio, just visit and see!

dont you have people sign stuff and all that? we do...

You have people sign something to buy a domain/hosting from you over the internet?
    Having problems, or maybe questions about WHT? Head over to the help desk!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick H
    You should be able to delete the domains and get the credit back on your account...
    Indeed!!

That should be the first thing you do!!

Tinyurl is the answer for posting long urls!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    You have people sign something to buy a domain/hosting from you over the internet?
    Never heard of this either, dedicated server yes pretty much everything else no.

This is another reason I call ALL new customers while its not 100% effective it is about 99.9% from experience so far

1. Let the registrar handle domain payment (we use eNom's Registry Rocket).

2. Do your own fraud protection and don't rely on a 3rd party.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

Thanks all, I ended up getting the domains deleted so thanks for that tip!

Quote Originally Posted by Somerset Internet
    dont you have people sign stuff and all that? we do...
    I don't have time to do that since we receive a number of orders each day. I do however do that for dedicated servers but I think that'd be a waste of time for shared/reseller hosting.

Quote Originally Posted by AH-Tina
    Do your own fraud protection and don't rely on a 3rd party.
    We do on certain ones but MaxMind is a widely used service and up until now has provided us with very reliable information.

We do on certain ones but MaxMind is a widely used service and up until now has provided us with very reliable information.
    Take it from me - MaxMind is helpful but you should by no means EVER accept an order based solely on your MaxMind score. There are a LOT of other things to look for (both that you can get with MaxMind and without MaxMind). I'd love to publish a list of things I do to check orders, but then it would defeat the purpose. Any established hosts that want to PM me though, I might share

We have a custom script built into the order verification screen that shows several stats including the location of the IP of the user. We compare that to the one on file and for certain accounts we do phone verification. I didn't mean to sound like we only rely on MaxMind; it certainly plays a big role but not the final decision. When my sales staff approve orders they are instructed to follow certain procedures and up until (after 100's of transactions) now have been flawless.

Live and learn.
    Last edited by MikeWalczak; 01-17-2008 at 02:05 AM.

We have a custom script built into the order verification screen that shows several stats including the location of the IP of the user. We compare that to the one on file and for certain accounts we do phone verification. I didn't mean to sound like we only rely on MaxMind; it certainly plays a big role but not the final decision. When my sales staff approve orders they are instructed to follow certain procedures and up until (after 100's of transactions) now have been flawless.

Live and learn.
    Another one I will put up there is checking what kind of phone # they're using. I will not accept an order from a VoIP #. Fixed Line or Non-Mobile VoIP or Cell Phones only.

If you registered the domains, i hope you haven't pushed them into his individual account!
    You should use the sub account service where you have control over your clients' domains too

People are scam artists. You can always pull the 'this is a tangible item' angle to get seller protection.

I.E. when a claim is opened, send an invoice to an address, and provide PayPal with a tracking number. They will be unable to check what the package is, but only see a package was indeed sent, therefore enabling the seller protection.
    Ryan G.
    Owner
    Umgardi.ca