Question Looking for Linux VPS

I am currently shopping around for entry level vps hosting. My requirements are:

5gb Storage
    50gb+ Transfer
    Unlimited DBs
    Unlimited Subdomains
    Host multiple domains
    1 IP address or more
    Control over config settings

Must be very reliable!

I am a web developer, I write applications using PHP and mysql. I don't need a lot of performance and i have only one site that gets public traffic. The rest are dev sites.

Please let me know what your compaarble specs are and the monthly cost for it.

I will be looking to migrate by the end of may... so we have some time.

Quote Originally Posted by walterwoj View Post
    I am currently shopping around for entry level vps hosting. My requirements are:

5gb Storage
    50gb+ Transfer
    Unlimited DBs
    Unlimited Subdomains
    Host multiple domains
    1 IP address or more
    Control over config settings

Must be very reliable!

I am a web developer, I write applications using PHP and mysql. I don't need a lot of performance and i have only one site that gets public traffic. The rest are dev sites.

Please let me know what your compaarble specs are and the monthly cost for it.

I will be looking to migrate by the end of may... so we have some time.
    There is really no need to specify "unlimited" databases etc, when you have a VPS you have full control of its resources, so you use as many databases, domains etc as you want.

Anyway, I assume you'll be wanting a VPS with a control panel, is there any particular control panel you prefer? Cpanel? Plesk?

Another thing you may want to add is what control panel you are looking for. Also, are you sure you need a VPS for this? You may be able to get reliable shared hosting for less.

Any VPS will come with unlimited specs because you have control of what you give out. The only thing that matters for VPS is cpu, memory, disk, and network just like a dedicated server. Guess Danny beat me to it :-/

I am familiar with cpanel but i'm not particular when it comes to panels. I really don't know how must memory or cpu i need I just want it to respond quickly and not time out on requests like my current one does a lot ( and my site is not very busy ).

Just because of CPanel, the cheapest your looking for a reliable VPS is going to be around $30.00 per month. This is why I suggested a shared hosting account for your reasoning. You don't have much bandwidth and with shared hosting you don't have to pay for a CPanel license or account for the resources used by Cpanel (~256MB of RAM).

try PowerVPS, have tried them myself, they are reliable and have good supoort

Quote Originally Posted by devonblzx View Post
    Just because of CPanel, the cheapest your looking for a reliable VPS is going to be around $30.00 per month. This is why I suggested a shared hosting account for your reasoning. You don't have much bandwidth and with shared hosting you don't have to pay for a CPanel license or account for the resources used by Cpanel (~256MB of RAM).
    I agree, it is necessary to know what kind of develoment is meant. 256Mb RAM may be too little in certain cases.

I would suggest uisng VPS for running actual sites and use another environment for development (I would suggest looking at phpWebHosting, Webfaction or TextDrive).
    VPSeer: VPS-related benchmarks, news and how-tos.
    "There are two kinds of people in the world, those who haven't lost important data yet, and those who do regular backups."
    Network and Server Monitoring Tool - uptime and performance monitoring

256MB RAM on cPanel isnt enough, cPanel uses that alone and you will get white pages on cPanel when you login

As the others suggested I would say get a Reseller with WHM, it saves the hassle of managing the VPS and is a lot more cost effective

256MB RAM on cPanel isnt enough, cPanel uses that alone and you will get white pages on cPanel when you login
    Moreover if you want your customers manage their web sites alone - create accounts with WHM. Try to find ideal solution for you.

Quote Originally Posted by walterwoj View Post
    I am familiar with cpanel but i'm not particular when it comes to panels. I really don't know how must memory or cpu i need I just want it to respond quickly and not time out on requests like my current one does a lot ( and my site is not very busy ).
    If cPanel is not a necessity, you can go with Plesk. Plesk runs very fine on 256 MB as well. Also, if you don't have time to manage a VPS, get a managed one.

You can get a decent All managed Plesk 256 MB VPS with 20 GB/200 GB BW for around $35 a month.

As someone said above, there is no need to specify unlimited. It's your server so you decide how many DBs to host

I've been with SLHost.com for more than a year and they have proven themselves to be very reliable and have fast and stable servers.

Ticket response times are between 15-20 mins. They don't have phone support though. But, I guess fast ticket response makes up for it.

Good Luck!
    One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey this way! View Post
    If cPanel is not a necessity, you can go with Plesk. Plesk runs very fine on 256 MB as well. Also, if you don't have time to manage a VPS, get a managed one.

You can get a decent All managed Plesk 256 MB VPS with 20 GB/200 GB BW for around $35 a month.

As someone said above, there is no need to specify unlimited. It's your server so you decide how many DBs to host

I've been with SLHost.com for more than a year and they have proven themselves to be very reliable and have fast and stable servers.

Ticket response times are between 15-20 mins. They don't have phone support though. But, I guess fast ticket response makes up for it.

Good Luck!
    For a managed Plesk VPS, take a look at http://us.layershift.com/ - I've been with them for a short period of time and so far so good.

I have also just migrated from cPanel to Plesk and I definitely prefer Plesk...

Don't forget to check the Advertising forum as well. There are plenty of different offers that would match or exceed your needs for a decent price.
    Ryan G.
    Owner
    Umgardi.ca

I would suggest you to go through each hosting directory and get to know the best vps providers . Only after proper research you should decide on your vps host.

From your post I see that you have time till may. So don hurry, research a lot and find the best

Hope this link will be of some help
    http://www.vpsreview.net/
    Blessen Cherian
    Follow me on twitter.com/blessenonly
    Over a decade plus in the Hosting Industry

If you do run cPanel, don't do it on a vps with less than 512MB of RAM.

We don't even offer it to people with 256MB plans. It just turns into a headache for everyone.

If these are mostly "development" sites like you say, I would just skip the control panel all together. It's not hard to set-it-and-forget-it with a little httpd.conf know how.
    DBI Hosting Reliable Web Hosting
    VPS Hosting / cPanel VPS Hosting
    Linux, Windows & BSD
    Backups, Custom Control Panel, 24/7 Support

Quote Originally Posted by blessen View Post
    I would suggest you to go through each hosting directory and get to know the best vps providers . Only after proper research you should decide on your vps host.

From your post I see that you have time till may. So don hurry, research a lot and find the best

Hope this link will be of some help
    http://www.vpsreview.net/

Hmm, never heard of that site before. I wouldn't really suggest using that as a means to decide on a host seeing they only have about 10 reviews on the whole site for 8 different companies. There are plenty out there, you would find a lot more better, accurate, and detailed reviews on here using the search function.

Best way IMO:

Check the offers section. Narrow down to a few in which you are interested. Search them here at WHT and decide.
    One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them

I didn't mean to base the purchase just on that link. What I meant is to search on the web and take correct decision.
    Blessen Cherian
    Follow me on twitter.com/blessenonly
    Over a decade plus in the Hosting Industry