Stolen/Copied Forum - What are my rights?

I could have sworn there was a section here for legal questions.

Hey all,

Here is the story. I'm very upset with this. Please, I need advice on what I can do.

mysite = A.com

'Friend' site = B.com

Forum site - C.com

In 2003, my friend and I both had forum communities (site A & B). He deleted his DB by accident and lost his community. So I said this would be a good time to 'MERGE'. So we decided to build a fresh brand new community from scratch on 'C.com' and we would link our sites off it. I own C.com.

We hosted this forum on his friend's server under the name of C.com in which I own the domain. This is the same server as the B.com is on.

Last month he got mad at me and kicked me out of admin and redirected the forum to B.com/forum. He emailed the 15,500 members and said that he did this and that he did EVERYTHING to the forum over the years (which isnt true). So now there is an exact duplicate of my C.com domain on B.com/forum and the members are confussed and I look like a bad guy.

Most ... 99% of what you would see on C.com & B.com/forum is all my ideas. And the images and other things such as section names and the content. It's a big forum. and it's silly.

This wasn't my choice.. he flipped out for a stupid greedy reason. I'm beside myself and I don't know what to do.

also does the content on a website belong to the person who owns the domain?

thanks in advance and i'm free to answer questions,

Sean
    Last edited by Nonchalant; 01-16-2008 at 09:13 AM.

I don't think there's really much legal action you can take in this instance. I mean, you could get him for libel, but proving it will be quite the chore.

None the less, my best suggestion is to move C.com to another hosting provider, recreate the forums, and post your side of the story there.
    Ryan G.
    Owner
    Umgardi.ca

Quote Originally Posted by Nonchalant View Post
    He deleted his DB by accident and lost his community.
    Sounds to me like: set your forum up on seperate server, maybe add header like:
    The Original A/B/C forum, run by the Original Owner.
    Sit back and wait for your 'friend' to loose his DB again.

Hope you get it sorted - -

guys thank you. but I already DID move my forum back to the original URL (C.com)

As soon as he kicked me out, I was already putting my forum up on my new server. but he mailed the members already. It's crazy... 2 duplicate sites is driving me mad and with all the work I did and history of my site, memebers have left my domain and are posting of there. crazy

How the forum is known besides community? If "C.com" - just direct it to a new server and re-create the forum.

Also I wouldn't recommend to provide any backlink to "b.com", or community will bookmark "b.com" and forget "c.com" completely.

Then you can start grabbing old posts from "b.com" and put it to knowledge base on new forum.

Quote Originally Posted by iliya428 View Post
    How the forum is known besides community? If "C.com" - just direct it to a new server and re-create the forum.

Also I wouldn't recommend to provide any backlink to "b.com", or community will bookmark "b.com" and forget "c.com" completely.

Then you can start grabbing old posts from "b.com" and put it to knowledge base on new forum.

I have it completely running as it was before, except for the old template. I have all posts and everything. It's just he is has it too crazy.. 15,500 members and years of work

and I wish he would at least come up with his own ideas. Seeing his forum is like a copy of my mind and he is claiming it as his.

geeezzzz ok I had to add that.

Sean

If you can't make it better, steal it.

Regardless, send out a mass email to the users explaining the situation.

In all intensive purposes, you will lose some users, but the loss wont be as much if you jump on the gun right away.
    Ryan G.
    Owner
    Umgardi.ca

You could try negotiating with him? It was probably (hopefully) just a rash decision that he made. You guys have worked together for quite a few years so im quite sure you can work something out.
    My Blog - www.Bakie.net
    My Entertainment site - www.SpudMud.com

yea this happened about a month ago already

Quote Originally Posted by Bakie View Post
    You could try negotiating with him? It was probably (hopefully) just a rash decision that he made. You guys have worked together for quite a few years so im quite sure you can work something out.

I don't think so... I mean he went ahead and did this. To make it worse, he thought that I did not have a backup of the forum and decided he wasnt going to give me a backup of the forum. His reasoning was that I owned the domain name, so he gets to keep the DB

like I would have owned the domain name if we never did the community too. I luckily got the DB with no help from him.

sucks I have to be involved with this childish things. its' embarassing.

Hack his server!

Anyway, the best you can do is mass email your users with a kind and detailed email and ask them to stay on C.com. If some users don't come back, they aren't worthy members, ignore them.
    Fraud Record - Stop Fraud Clients, Report Abusive Customers.
    █ Combine your efforts to fight misbehaving clients.

HarzemDesign - Highest quality, well designed and carefully coded hosting designs. Not cheap though.
    █ Large and awesome portfolio, just visit and see!

be nice and make up then one u gain all access again....steal it back! and kick him out

Quote Originally Posted by Harzem View Post
    Hack his server!

Anyway, the best you can do is mass email your users with a kind and detailed email and ask them to stay on C.com. If some users don't come back, they aren't worthy members, ignore them.
    you surely find out 'who your friends are' for sure. I say to a couple users 'how can they post over there knowing he did that' type of thing.

answer: its not my fault you 2 split up.

so I say alright then

Quote Originally Posted by Nuke-Design View Post
    be nice and make up then one u gain all access again....steal it back! and kick him out
    hehe.. yea I thought about giving him a chance to come back. but its not worth it now.

and even if he came back, he could have access to the DB unless he was restricted. but he would never go for that.

So would hacking a site that I created illegal? ok ok just totally kidding there.

I have it completely running as it was before, except for the old template. I have all posts and everything. It's just he is has it too crazy.. 15,500 members and years of work
    Oh, then send out e-mails with a warning: "C.com hasn't been moving anywhere, if you get a e-mail asking you to update bookmarks and/or provide password to your account", etc... But do not write that someone stolen something. You want people to stay with C.com, you don't want them to know you and your partner were unable to reach an agreement

...and he is your friend??

I wonder how your enemies are
    Closed for winter...

some good advice. I think maybe I will send out my own C&D to request my work at least to be taken down.

but its really not fair for the members and posts to be copied like this. not fair to the members at all.

and no he is not a friend anymore

Work with a lawyer and file a DMCA to the data center of which the site's hosted at. Can't guarantee it'll work but its worth a shot.
    Ryan G.
    Owner
    Umgardi.ca