Results 1 to 28 of 28
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    154

    New Macbook Air (With XP?)

    Hi Guys,
    I friend of mine has just ordered one of these! (Impulse buy I guess) and he was asking whether it could have XP (MCE2005) installed on it, rather than Mac OSX. He uses a large number of software in the "field" that require a Windows OS.

    I have no experience with installing a Windows OS on a Mac, but I have seen it done with the MacPro and MacBook Pro, I am assuming then it should be possible with the Macbook Air. I understand that its a brand new product, and no one really has had a play with it, but any information will help!

    The first thing that springs to mind is how the drivers are going to work, how you get around the single mouse button, and if USB devices will work just as well on a Mac?

    Any input would be appreciated.
    EX Networks Limited (EXN)
    █ Enterprise Managed Services, VMware Cloud, Complex Hosting
    █ UK Datacentre Solutions, IP Transit, Layer 2 Services
    www.exn.uk - Call us on: +44 (0) 203 002 9259

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Under Your Skin
    Posts
    5,875
    Installing windows is a feature of the OS so it should work.

    But I'm not sure I'd want to... the specs on the machine are dismal. Well if you are only checking email and typing documents, then you will be fine. Guess I'm a Mac Pro type of guy, so this little thing makes my skin crawl (specs).

    It does look pretty though. But pretty don't pay bill around here. lol

    My ramblings aside, what I don't know is if the superdrive will work or how the touchpad will work (well, it should revert to a regular touchpad). Ethernet adapter ect....

    Might be better off on a mac forum asking this... or with apple directly... sure they loaded the support team with coffee and beer.

    All you going to get here is a bunch of guesses, unless someone has already read this info someplace....

    edit: and the other part is the hd is only 80 gb... my mac mini has a 40 gb hd and it is simply not enough. You have an 80 gb and then put two OSs on the thing... your space going downhill fast.... not to mention it is a 4200 rpm drive.
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!

  3. #3
    whats the price tag on these things? is it also a phone that plays music?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    154
    Thanks for the reply, He will be using it mainly for Emails and Internet on the move, but needs some software to edit these boxes!

    And yes its pretty

    I will ask on some Mac forums and see what they say!
    EX Networks Limited (EXN)
    █ Enterprise Managed Services, VMware Cloud, Complex Hosting
    █ UK Datacentre Solutions, IP Transit, Layer 2 Services
    www.exn.uk - Call us on: +44 (0) 203 002 9259

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Detroit, MI
    Posts
    1,955
    Quote Originally Posted by volkan View Post
    Hi Guys,
    I friend of mine has just ordered one of these! (Impulse buy I guess) and he was asking whether it could have XP (MCE2005) installed on it, rather than Mac OSX. He uses a large number of software in the "field" that require a Windows OS.

    I have no experience with installing a Windows OS on a Mac, but I have seen it done with the MacPro and MacBook Pro, I am assuming then it should be possible with the Macbook Air. I understand that its a brand new product, and no one really has had a play with it, but any information will help!

    The first thing that springs to mind is how the drivers are going to work, how you get around the single mouse button, and if USB devices will work just as well on a Mac?

    Any input would be appreciated.
    Tell him to get parallels - best $80 ever spent.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    289
    Setting up BootCamp in OSX is pretty easy, it creates the partition for Windows, you restart and install XP on it, install the Windows drivers from the Install DVD, then to select OS on boot up just hold the alt key to choose between OSX or Windows.

    It acts just like a normal laptop does. And the performance is very, very good.

    Macbook Pro was officially the fastest Vista Laptop tested by PC World, and owning one, I can believe it. Apple laptop's are nice kit indeed.

    Peazy.
    First against the wall when the revolution comes™

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Under Your Skin
    Posts
    5,875
    Quote Originally Posted by freebase View Post
    Setting up BootCamp in OSX is pretty easy, it creates the partition for Windows, you restart and install XP on it, install the Windows drivers from the Install DVD, then to select OS on boot up just hold the alt key to choose between OSX or Windows.

    It acts just like a normal laptop does. And the performance is very, very good.

    Macbook Pro was officially the fastest Vista Laptop tested by PC World, and owning one, I can believe it. Apple laptop's are nice kit indeed.

    Peazy.
    Going from a mac pro to a mac air is like night and day... two very, very different animals.
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Under Your Skin
    Posts
    5,875
    Quote Originally Posted by express-hosting View Post
    Thanks for the reply, He will be using it mainly for Emails and Internet on the move, but needs some software to edit these boxes!

    And yes its pretty

    I will ask on some Mac forums and see what they say!
    The specs for that software:

    System requirements of the PC for the operation software:

    Processor: Intel Pentium, min. 200 MHz
    Free RAM: min. 32 MB
    Free disk space: 5 MB
    USB connection (V1.1 or better)
    DirectX-9 compatible graphics card
    Operation system: Windows-XP
    Screen resolution: min 1024 x 768 pixel
    CD drive (as of 1x)
    SD/MMC card reader
    I would ask what the CD drive is needed for... if it is needed for use, then I'd look for a system with a cd rom installed. If only needed for installation, then he *should* be fine. SD/MMC card reader can be loaded from the 1 usb port on the mac air... I'd guess...

    Seeing the specs, they are very low... but I might tell him to take a good look at the macbook... it is not that much bigger and might be a little more suited for his needs.

    Hard to tell without knowing the software though...

    Far as vitalization software... the hard drive is running at 4200... of course ram is ok. Don't know...

    Then again, heck, apple has a return policy... you can test all this software (VPC software) for free... tell him to buy the macbook air. Heck, he can return it for a macbook if it is too slow or does not suite his needs. But tell him you don't know... that way you are off the hook.
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    3,479
    Why is your friend dead-set on a Macbook? If he needs to run Windows, why doesn't he just get a low-end laptop? This is especially important if he's taking it everywhere with him - jobs and whatnot. If it gets dropped, broken, left somewhere, etc, a $400 laptop is a lot easier to stomach than an $1800 one.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Under Your Skin
    Posts
    5,875
    Quote Originally Posted by CArmstrong View Post
    Why is your friend dead-set on a Macbook? If he needs to run Windows, why doesn't he just get a low-end laptop? This is especially important if he's taking it everywhere with him - jobs and whatnot. If it gets dropped, broken, left somewhere, etc, a $400 laptop is a lot easier to stomach than an $1800 one.
    I was reading a blog the other night and the guy mentioned he did not care for the mac os, but loved their hardware... he purchased a mac and ONLY uses xp.

    I've learned not to question such madness... then again, I have odd things that I do as well.
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!

  11. #11
    I am not sure your friend will be able to get working drivers for his winxp on the new macbook air.
    Affordable Managed Hosting Solutions for Professional & Business since 2001
    Mxhub.com - Global : USA - UK - Canada - Europe - Asia Pacific


  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Under Your Skin
    Posts
    5,875
    Quote Originally Posted by MxHub View Post
    I am not sure your friend will be able to get working drivers for his winxp on the new macbook air.
    Why do you say that?
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!

  13. #13
    I heard some features that come with laptop do not work properly. eg. sound , quick media access etc. These are for dell. I am not sure for mac.
    Affordable Managed Hosting Solutions for Professional & Business since 2001
    Mxhub.com - Global : USA - UK - Canada - Europe - Asia Pacific


  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    England, UK
    Posts
    630
    Quote Originally Posted by MxHub View Post
    These are for dell.
    Right, because XP was made for Dell.

    SupportPal - Smart self-hosted help desk software
    Supporting multiple channels, including Twitter and Facebook. WHMCS integration available.
    LicensePal - Discounted popular web hosting software licenses
    cPanel, InterWorx, SolusVM, CloudLinux, Blesta, Softaculous, Installatron, and much more!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    250
    bootcamp is the program where it allows you to boot into windows separately...
    Who is this infamous HTML i keep hearing of, is she cute?

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Under Your Skin
    Posts
    5,875
    Quote Originally Posted by MxHub View Post
    I heard some features that come with laptop do not work properly. eg. sound , quick media access etc. These are for dell. I am not sure for mac.
    You always post some of the most ridiculous stuff.

    BTW, which dell does not support quick media access, sound, etc... I have a fairly new dell laptop (three months old) and it supports all of those things in xp.

    Dell recently released drivers for their laptop products... matter of fact, I don't think you will find a model that does not have xp drivers.
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by hekwu View Post
    You always post some of the most ridiculous stuff.

    BTW, which dell does not support quick media access, sound, etc... I have a fairly new dell laptop (three months old) and it supports all of those things in xp.

    Dell recently released drivers for their laptop products... matter of fact, I don't think you will find a model that does not have xp drivers.
    'Always', 'ridiculous'? Please be kind with your word, buddy.
    I am stating the general problem with dell laptop(preload with win vista) after you downgrade from a win vista to win xp.
    Of course, some get most of the functions working while some are unlucky and stuck with problems.

    Is your laptop preload with winxp or win vista by default?
    Affordable Managed Hosting Solutions for Professional & Business since 2001
    Mxhub.com - Global : USA - UK - Canada - Europe - Asia Pacific


  18. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    1,167
    Thats a preposterous allegation and completely irrelevant to a discussion about a Mac.

    Yes he can just load XP. No, I don't think he should. I prefer OSX. Some people don't. Life goes on.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    50
    Hey,

    Try Bootcamp, Parallels or VMWare Fusion. I have them all. (on different macs)

    Bootcamp - 4/10 - Hate having to re-boot etc.
    Parallels - 8/10 - Love it, speedy. Only downside.. if you have little ram.. it may lag.
    VMF - 7/10 - Prefer parallels, appeals to me more.. though.. this is also good.
    Bainzey.com // Alexepia.com

  20. #20
    installing XP will work fine, but the SuperDrive you order from apple may not - it doesn't even work with other macs. So just use a different external optical drive.


    Beyond that, Parallels is probably more efficient for his uses, but he may really hate OS X. To each their own
    Ash Slaughter, former Systems Operator for Scratch Telecom
    Oracle Ninja, Linux Admin, Java/JSP Developer, Casual C#/ADO.NET/ASP.NET Monkey, Python Programmer, CCNA.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Under Your Skin
    Posts
    5,875
    Quote Originally Posted by MxHub View Post
    'Always', 'ridiculous'? Please be kind with your word, buddy.
    I am stating the general problem with dell laptop(preload with win vista) after you downgrade from a win vista to win xp.
    Of course, some get most of the functions working while some are unlucky and stuck with problems.

    Is your laptop preload with winxp or win vista by default?
    My dell came loaded with vista... but the road you want to go down is way off topic... as already mentioned by another forum member. And actually it is not a vista or xp issue... it is a technology issue... but again, you should read up on it a bit more or hit me in PM so I can explain it to you in detail. Nothing to do with this thread.
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!

  22. #22
    I prefer XP

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,025
    I just wanted to tip my hat in and agree with those that said they love Parallels. It is an amazing program and my image of XP runs better on my mac with a forth of the hardware allocation then it has ever run on any normal PC.

    If you are on a mac and are stuck working with windows from time to time Parallels is the way to go.
    Matt Armour
    OpenReaction

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    154
    Thanks for all the info guys, he is deffo going for the macbook air and I will post my results once it arrives and I have a min to play. But it seems that bootxp is the most viable option.
    EX Networks Limited (EXN)
    █ Enterprise Managed Services, VMware Cloud, Complex Hosting
    █ UK Datacentre Solutions, IP Transit, Layer 2 Services
    www.exn.uk - Call us on: +44 (0) 203 002 9259

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    2,626
    Why ruin a good laptop with Windows?
    Last edited by sgarbus; 02-07-2008 at 04:31 PM.

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,380
    I don't know about Windows XP/MCE but I've put Vista on it using BootCamp. Office, Photoshop, Firefox, all the usual stuff runs as expected. I knew this thread was going to turn into a big OS/Computer flame so I waited a while to reply.

    Have fun with it.

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Under Your Skin
    Posts
    5,875
    Quote Originally Posted by sgarbus
    Why ruin a good laptop with Windows?
    Same reason why people post unhelpful comments without reading the thread.

    Oh, let me bash windows! I have no clue about what they are talking about, but I "feel" cool.
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Under Your Skin
    Posts
    5,875
    Quote Originally Posted by express-hosting View Post
    Thanks for all the info guys, he is deffo going for the macbook air and I will post my results once it arrives and I have a min to play. But it seems that bootxp is the most viable option.
    You should read this:

    http://www.macnn.com/articles/08/01/31/macbook.air/

    Don't know how it will impact your decision, but seems like several "little" issues may present themselves.
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •