Need FDCServers Review

Hello all,

I've been considering some local Colos over the past few months. I've seen FDCservers located out of Chicago, they are actually only 1 block down the street from my office, which is nice. Their prices are amazing. We are looking to colo 1U Servers.

here is a snipit I found on the ads forum.

INTERNAP PROMO
    NO minimum commit
    Month to month term
    %100 dedicated INTERNAP bandwidth $12/Mbit !!!

Server Space (electric included)
    1U server - $39/month

So according to this I can get a 10MB InterNap Colo for $159/mo.

Anyone care to share their experience with this company?

Really depends on your needs. There are some that are zealous to FDCServers, especially at the point of how they allow IRC in the data center. Others shy away from it because of their past issues. As of recently, they've been decent to deal with. Might be worth it since you guys would be within walking distance to the data center, and would be able to get physical access to your servers.
    Ryan G.
    Owner
    Umgardi.ca

Well, as far as network goes: they're just amazing
    but for colo, i'd suggest you to go for their $169/month colo plan which would give you 100mbit port speed with unmetered bandwidth...you can expect close to 5-7tb of transfer/month
    all ports are connected to their 81gbit bgp backbone

We would be using their colo to setup our servers which is for paid shared-web hosting service.

There internap bandwidth is great and they have quick support. The only thing about going with their internap is you have to have a dedicated commit, which means if you buy that 10mb, you are only going to be able to transfer 10mbps which is (1.25mB/s). Therefore, if your offering web hosting and you have more than 3 simultaneous downloads, you could run into slowdowns. For small commits, I would really suggest their shared bandwidth as you can transfer up to 100mbps for the same price.

In the 3 months we have been with them since, we have only had 20 minutes of downtime, 15 minutes when a PDU fuse blew and 5 minutes when a switch was replaced, so not too bad.

The other 2 Colo spaces I've looked at are

Server Central
    which is extreamly expensive @ $200/mb. Are they capped also like FDC?

Steadfast
    They seem to be in the middle, the pricing per meg is also around $90/mb for the premimum network. Is this also capped? or billed at 95th percentile?

Any other suggestions for good chciago Colos would be nice. I'm looking for a turnkey colo space, where I just plug in and use the bandwidth and not having to deal with routing and such kinda like the carrier nutural datacenters make you do.

I believe ServerCentral is cheaper than 200/mb if you contact them, but both of those are most likely 95th percentile burstable to 100mbps, I don't think it's a dedicated limit.

Quote Originally Posted by MMH-Moe View Post
    Steadfast
    They seem to be in the middle, the pricing per meg is also around $90/mb for the premimum network. Is this also capped? or billed at 95th percentile?
    By default colocation is done with 95th percentile billing on a burstable line. Capped lines are also available at lower per Mbit/sec pricing.
    Karl Zimmerman - Steadfast: Managed Dedicated Servers and Premium Colocation
    karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation
    Now Open in New Jersey! - Contact us for New Jersey colocation or dedicated servers

Quote Originally Posted by KarlZimmer View Post
    By default colocation is done with 95th percentile billing on a burstable line. Capped lines are also available at lower per Mbit/sec pricing.

Karl,

I wanted to know what kind of Network side protection you guys have. I know @ ThePlanet they have something called Tipping Point, Arbor Peakflow, Arbor Atlas, Cisco Guard DDOS and some other nice hardware that scans packets for spam/DDOS/hacking/worm like activity before they enter to the servers. Do you have something similar to this?
    Last edited by MMH-Moe; 01-16-2008 at 05:34 PM.

Karl,

I wanted to know what kind of Network side protection you guys have. I know @ ThePlanet they have something called Tipping Point, Arbor Peakflow, Arbor Atlas, Cisco Guard DDOS and some other nice hardware that scans packets for spam/DDOS/hacking/worm like activity before they enter to the servers. Do you have something similar to this?
    We use RioRey boxes on each of our incoming connections which provides us with DDoS protection. Due to the diverse nature of our network, with various colocation customers, etc. we do not provide network-wide firewalls or IDS. Generally, if you keep your server up-to-date and properly secured though your only concern should be DDoS, and that is what we have covered.
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation
    Now Open in New Jersey! - Contact us for New Jersey colocation or dedicated servers

We use RioRey boxes on each of our incoming connections which provides us with DDoS protection. Due to the diverse nature of our network, with various colocation customers, etc. we do not provide network-wide firewalls or IDS. Generally, if you keep your server up-to-date and properly secured though your only concern should be DDoS, and that is what we have covered.
    Thanks Karl,

I'll be in touch with you soon.

We use RioRey boxes on each of our incoming connections which provides us with DDoS protection.
    Karl,

Which RioRey product do you have? I see that you have 3x10GE connections to some of your upstreams, but has RioRey come up with the 10GE interface?
    Fluid Hosting, LLC - HSphere Shared and Reseller hosting - Now with HIGH AVAILABILITY
    Fluid VPS - Linux and Windows Virtuozzo VPS - Enterprise VPS with up to 2 GB guaranteed memory!
    Get your N+1 High Availability Enterprise Cloud
    Equinix Secaucus NY2 (NYC Metro)

Quote Originally Posted by FHDave View Post
    Karl,

Which RioRey product do you have? I see that you have 3x10GE connections to some of your upstreams, but has RioRey come up with the 10GE interface?
    We currently have a couple 10 GigE connections, but we are not using them for incoming bandwidth, largely because there is really no DDoS protection that could handle line rate 10 GigE anyway. I have heard they are planning to release a 10 GigE model sometime this year though, and I am betting we'll be one of the first companies to try that out.

FDCServers has really gotten much better the last few months. Actually just an hour ago i downloaded a 200 megabyte file from USA to Sweden on one thread in 15 megabit/sec, thats one heck of a difference from just a year ago

And this is on the cheap bandwidth segment. Well to sum it up for the money i pay i get a great deal and it just get better and better. But the main reason i stick with them is that they answer a ticket in an average of 5 minutes, i have yet to find a host that comes even close to that regardless of price segment i feel like a valued VIP customer every time i need support. I feel safe that when something happen they will help me and fast. Just last week a hdd failed, 2 hours later the server was ready to run again with a new drive. And this even included ten tickets between me my linux tech and fdc servers stating things to do with the backup drive (they always ask first before they do anything, just imagine if they had installed the os on my backup drive and not asked me first ) and what OS to load on the new drive.

As usual English is not my native language please excuse minor grammar errors.
    Last edited by micze; 01-18-2008 at 03:24 AM.

Need FDCServers Review

Karl,

I recently saw an on-demand DDoS mitigation solution from IntruGuard. Exactly for the kind of needs that you are talking about. Because the ASIC based device can handle 2Gbps throughput at smallest packet size and worst DDoS/botnet attacks, this scheme allows you to buy one box for a large data center and divert attack traffic on demand - under attack to a specific customer.

Have a look.

We currently have a couple 10 GigE connections, but we are not using them for incoming bandwidth, largely because there is really no DDoS protection that could handle line rate 10 GigE anyway. I have heard they are planning to release a 10 GigE model sometime this year though, and I am betting we'll be one of the first companies to try that out.
    OK, sorry for the misunderstanding. I had thought you protect both your incoming and outgoing traffic.

Yes, their 10GE models are coming, I believe quite soon.
    Fluid Hosting, LLC - HSphere Shared and Reseller hosting - Now with HIGH AVAILABILITY
    Fluid VPS - Linux and Windows Virtuozzo VPS - Enterprise VPS with up to 2 GB guaranteed memory!
    Get your N+1 High Availability Enterprise Cloud
    Equinix Secaucus NY2 (NYC Metro)

Quote Originally Posted by FHDave View Post
    OK, sorry for the misunderstanding. I had thought you protect both your incoming and outgoing traffic.

Yes, their 10GE models are coming, I believe quite soon.
    Stopping outgoing attacks is much easier, as it would be a much more limited IP range that the attacks would be coming from. It generally just entails blocking a single IP or turning off a customer's port.