Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Angry Very Disappointed with HostGator CS

I just signed up a HG account couple days ago, and I feel very disappointed with their customer services so far.

I had an account with them before too, probably around couple years ago, it was fine. I notice a very big difference of CS from my last experience to my current experience. I'm not trying to compare their services with Axis, DHT, Dreamhost which I have/had hosting accounts too. But their service now is just quite unacceptable for me.

First of all, their chat staff are pretty useless (both Sales & Support channels), I mean there is completely no meaning to have a chat support if they are not allowed or not capable of handling anything.

No matter what you ask them, I'll either say "I'm not allowed to", "it's handled by xxx team, and they'll only offer email/ticket support" or in some cases they don't even know what they are talking about.

For example, I had questions about filling up their SSL Installation form, the staff just keep asking me to get a 'CA'. I said CA is an organization, not a piece of data I can get. I spent over 10 minutes with him/her, and they end up confirmed and telling me to just type 'NA' in the field. I didn't save the chat session, but if HG is willing to share the record, all you guys will laugh for sure.

After I submitted the order, they asked me to get CA Bundle. While it's root cert, I don't see why it's needed. I still visited my CA website, and send them the CA Bundle. Even if it's needed, I'm sure they don't need to ask me as there are 1000s of customers using certs of this CA.

The case does not end here. After i send them both CSR & Cert, they said the cert is invalid, and I confirmed with the CA that the CSR & Cert are indeed matched. (Key & CSR were generated from their platform). I'm still waiting for their reply up to this moment. If it's confirmed that it's their mistake , i'd need an explaination from HG.

I had tried to chat with their Sales & Support team about the above problems, but all replies I got were 'You need to wait for the admin to reply', 'we don't have access to this', 'there is nothing i can do', 'requests are on the queue, i don't know when it'll be handled' etc.

Also the support response time is VERY much longer then before. I sent a request of site transfer, it takes them over 48 hours to reponse. The site is very small under 100mb.

All i can say is i'm very disapointed with HG services so far (their server is all fine, just CS).

Someone from HG who is responsible for CS, please take a look at your CS performance asap! This is really getting very poor now!

Note: if HG wants some proves about my claims, I can provide ticket #.

Thanks for your time reading this review.

This is often the case as a webhost gets big, the customer service drops and they start hiring anyone who knows how to operate a keyboard.

Its even more unfortunate that they seem so untrained when it comes to matters regarding security...

Anyhow, keep us informed of what the outcome is.

Not sure why you even need hostgator to install it for you, you can simply do it via Cpanel it takes only 2-5 mins to get it installed.

First generate private key, now generate the CSR for your domain.

Send the CSR code/key to ur ssl provider, they give u CRT and ca bundle most of the time.

And install the CRT using SSL installer. You can open the ca bundel in wordpad and copy and paste it on installer page.

Why hostgator techs need CA is to make ur ssl i think browser compatible or something, do not understand still what its for though ...

So try doing it yourself just ask them to remove your domains pvt key and csr and crt if any from /etc/ssl folder and remove all your first csr , crt ,pvt key yourself in cpanel and proceed as mentioned above, SSL installation with Cpanel is the easiest thing i ever done in my life (other than sleeping) !!
    12+ years -same website , new server [SSD Inside] providing shared/reseller hosting only !
    These things we do not provide/offer : Unlimited Storage ! Unlimited Bandwidth ! But Why? Cause, we were unable to put such a large number on our pages, it just would not fit.
    So check out the numbers that actually fit >> << the page as well as your budget too !

Quote Originally Posted by Danny_G View Post
    they start hiring anyone who knows how to operate a keyboard.
    Exactly, I'm really feeling it like this now.

Sure I'll update here how it ends.

Quote Originally Posted by eric418 View Post
    First of all, their chat staff are pretty useless (both Sales & Support channels), I mean there is completely no meaning to have a chat support if they are not allowed or not capable of handling anything.
    Live chat people in large organisations such as HG are only capable of replying basic questions and tell you the status, they simply dont have the priviliges to check or do anything above that.
    Imageleet.com - Premium Hosting Solutions Since 2006
    Shared Hosting, FFmpeg Hosting, Linux VPS and Dedicated Solutions.
    SSD, Litespeed powered, R1soft, cPanel | Softaculous | Rvsitebuilder + FFmpeg, Mencoder, Mplayer, Flvtool2, x264
    http://www.imageleet.com

Question is not about how to install the certificate, its more about quality of support offered by HG

Quote Originally Posted by Energizer Bunny View Post
    Not sure why you even need hostgator to install it for you, you can simply do it via Cpanel it takes only 2-5 mins to get it installed.

Send the CSR code/key to ur ssl provider, they give u CRT and ca bundle most of the time.

And install the CRT using SSL installer. You can open the ca bundel in wordpad and copy and paste it on installer page.

Why hostgator techs need CA is to make ur ssl i think browser compatible or something, do not understand still what its for though ...

So try doing it yourself just ask them to remove your domains pvt key and csr and crt if any from /etc/ssl folder and remove all your first csr , crt ,pvt key yourself in cpanel and proceed as mentioned above, SSL installation with Cpanel is the easiest thing i ever done in my life (other than sleeping) !!

The point is that I pay for a service (just like you pay for a meal rather than cooking yourself), and you'd expect some reasonable services. I'm fine paying $10 for this service as long as they are handling properly. But now it looks like I made the wrong decision.

I'll see how it goes, but not wasting another hours or days to have them remove the generated key/csr.

I don't understand why their support would ask for an IC. This is no needed for 99.9% of all SSL installation. And it takes them another many hours to see my reply of this meaningless CA Bundle.

I used to use HostGator, i thought they were very good, shame about your experience.

What is your ticket number with us?

A ca isn't always required but in many cases their will be browser issues if it isn't provided. Asking for the CA is in your best interest. If you want us to go ahead and install it without it that's fine, but if there are issues we will not be able to help you with it.

Why don't you just ask for the ca from whomever you bought the ssl from? Anyone that sells ssl's includes the CA with it. Did you ask them? Are they refusing to give it to you? Please help me to understand what the problem is.

Brent, the owner is quite active on these forums so he should be able to make the proper changes and follow up on this.

Edit: And there he is

Quote Originally Posted by hostgator.com View Post
    What is your ticket number with us?

A ca isn't always required but in many cases their will be browser issues if it isn't provided. Asking for the CA is in your best interest. If you want us to go ahead and install it without it that's fine, but if there are issues we will not be able to help you with it.

Why don't you just ask for the ca from whomever you bought the ssl from? Anyone that sells ssl's includes the CA with it. Did you ask them? Are they refusing to give it to you? Please help me to understand what the problem is.
    Thanks for your reply.

Getting the CA Bundle is not a problem here at all. I have provided the data to your staff almost immediately (just copy & paste from CA's website as mentioned), like couple minutes after it's asked.

The problem is the whole experience as mentioned in orginal message. And I'm still waiting for your staff to reply regarding ssl installation failure and what is the status.

Will PM you the ticket # after this post.

That really sucks about your experience with them.

I guess sometimes it really depends on the situation though, it is very hard for a company to obtain 100% satisfaction, as it really depends on the specific case and other outside factors.
    | ServerHub | an INC 500 Company | Enterprise Dedicated and Cloud Solutions Built for Scale |
    | AS62904: Dallas TX, Chicago IL, New York NY, Seattle WA, Phoenix AZ, Los Angeles CA, Miami FL | AS49532: Frankfurt DE, Amsterdam NL | sales@serverhub.com |

Hostgator's CS is not good when you have a dedicated server with them. What they call "managed" is really the least. When everything works fine, great. When problems arise, good luck.
    openSUSE user

Quote Originally Posted by jhost View Post
    That really sucks about your experience with them.

I guess sometimes it really depends on the situation though, it is very hard for a company to obtain 100% satisfaction, as it really depends on the specific case and other outside factors.
    It's rather a combination of experiences making me believe it's not a specific case.

- Chat staff shows no intention to help, not even trying. Or maybe transfer the chat to someone who can help, even I have requested.

- Chat staff can't even answer basic questions (e.g. how long will it take normally to resolve a private NS)

- It takes days to handle a tiny cpanel 2 cpanel transfer

- Paying for a ssl installation (which i used to handle myself before), and it's still outstanding. CA said the csr/cert is valid. HG just said they are not. I'm the paying customer standing in the middle waiting for their reply.

As said, I used to be HG before. And I can really say their CS was much better before.
    Last edited by eric418; 01-15-2008 at 05:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by eric418 View Post
    It's rather a combination of experiences making me believe it's not a specific case.

- Chat staff shows no intention to help, not even trying. Or maybe transfer the chat to someone who can help, even I have requested.

- Chat staff can't even answer basic questions (e.g. how long will it take normally to resolve a private NS)

- It takes days to handle a tiny cpanel 2 cpanel transfer

- Paying for a ssl installation (which i used to handle myself before), and it's still outstanding. CA said the csr/cert is valid. HG just said they are not. I'm the paying standing in the middle waiting for their reply.

As said, I used to be HG before. And I can really say their CS was much better before.

Hmm it amazes me that still you are hosting with them, what part of human nature makes it hard to move on to better things in life (sorry just trying to think critically, damn this critical thinking course it has got my neurons all fired up)....
    12+ years -same website , new server [SSD Inside] providing shared/reseller hosting only !
    These things we do not provide/offer : Unlimited Storage ! Unlimited Bandwidth ! But Why? Cause, we were unable to put such a large number on our pages, it just would not fit.
    So check out the numbers that actually fit >> << the page as well as your budget too !

Thanks for sharing info because I was looking info about them I thought they are optional choice for me...

I have never been with them. When I was considering them I decided against them. In my opinion I feel that they oversell. Try sending them a support ticket about your concerns and they might give you some type of deal.

That's a complete shame. I've only heard negative things about HOstGator for some odd reason. I mean with the monstrous packages they supply they must think they can get away with a lack of CS.

I have to say I have heard many negative reports about host gator. I too have had negative experiences with larger hosts, the service is no longer personal and if you have a problem you end up paying big time to sort it, where smaller hosts tend to be more keen and enthusiastic to help.

Your better off finding a decent smaller web hosting company with values rather than playing with the big boys who you can "trust".

Quote Originally Posted by p3terpan View Post
    In my opinion I feel that they oversell.
    Ofcourse they oversell, there is no way any company can sell 350GB of dedicated Hard Drive space and 3000GB Bandwidth a month for $8.95 a month. If even half their users tried to hit their limits, HG wouldn't be able to cope.

I was with them a couple of years back, and cancelled my account. Then when I went to take another package 6 months later, they asked for the last 4 digits of my credit card as verification to reactivate my account. I provided this, but they disagreed and said the numbers did not match. I had bank statements and invoices infront of me for that credit card with Hostgator transactions on them...

In the end I went elsewhere, probably a good thing after reading that they have just gone downhill.

Hmm it amazes me that still you are hosting with them, what part of human nature makes it hard to move on to better things in life (sorry just trying to think critically, damn this critical thinking course it has got my neurons all fired up)....
    perhaps because one problem, that seems to stem from a misunderstanding and seemingly poor level .5 support isn't a viable reason to jump hosts after being with them for a couple of days.

live chat is for extremely simple issues. something like installing an SSL cert should be directed towards support via an e-mail ticket for a concise response.

for 10 dollars a month people expect the world now now now now and well.. logic tells you, you aren't going to get it. instead of going back and forth with live chat, you could have cut out the middle man by contacting e-mail/ticket support after it became clear (evidently after about a minute or two) that you weren't going to get the help you needed.

be realistic.

dave
    Last edited by db09; 01-15-2008 at 07:20 PM.

Thank you for pm'ing me the ticket. I see it is now resolved.

The problem had to do with cpanel only partially assigning the dedicated ip our rep gave your account. Cpanel failed to update it in the zone files which resulted in it appearing you were providing bad information.

Our guy who was installing the ssl most likely exited cpanel before it completed assigning the ip. This ticket was resolved same day but did take much longer then usual. I apologize for the trouble you had getting this done.

Quote Originally Posted by hostgator.com View Post
    Thank you for pm'ing me the ticket. I see it is now resolved.

The problem had to do with cpanel only partially assigning the dedicated ip our rep gave your account. Cpanel failed to update it in the zone files which resulted in it appearing you were providing bad information.

Our guy who was installing the ssl most likely exited cpanel before it completed assigning the ip. This ticket was resolved same day but did take much longer then usual. I apologize for the trouble you had getting this done.
    Thanks for your prompt reply. Yes I received your staff response confirming the provided cert is valid, but just caused by IP assignment by the admin.

I'm glad it's solved but just a comment that your admin should verify what they have done before claiming provided info is invalid and asking customers to redo. If i followed what I was asked to reissue cert, i'd end up in this loop forever.

I'm not upsad/angry at all, but just disappointed as I have reasonable expectation from HG. Your servers are great, packages are great, and CS was great.

perhaps because one problem, that seems to stem from a misunderstanding and seemingly poor level .5 support isn't a viable reason to jump hosts after being with them for a couple of days.

live chat is for extremely simple issues. something like installing an SSL cert should be directed towards support via an e-mail ticket for a concise response.

for 10 dollars a month people expect the world now now now now and well.. logic tells you, you aren't going to get it. instead of going back and forth with live chat, you could have cut out the middle man by contacting e-mail/ticket support after it became clear (evidently after about a minute or two) that you weren't going to get the help you needed.

be realistic.
    This is NOT misunderstanding, but a unreasonable mistake made by the tech staff of HG via email/ticket.

I'm not a 1st day webmaster crying around without knowing anything & I'm not expecting anything unreasonable. I have been very polite and patient throughout the whole time dealing with them. I don't think you have read any post here before posting your comment.

In my opinion I feel that they oversell.
    Please don't start an overselling discussion again. I know what is overselling. I'm not those standing on the edge of either side (fully agree or completely hate). I don't know when people will eventually understand different different kinds of websites are suitable for different kinds of packages/offers.

People may pay hundreds for one particular website, while at the same time also need a large/cheap package for a bunch of other websites.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny_G View Post
    This is often the case as a webhost gets big, the customer service drops and they start hiring anyone who knows how to operate a keyboard.

Its even more unfortunate that they seem so untrained when it comes to matters regarding security...

Anyhow, keep us informed of what the outcome is.

This is exactly it, I worked for a small hosting company about 3 years ago, and everything was very intimate.
    As they started to get more popular, and more demand, the need for employees rose.

It's cheaper to hire someone who doesnt know what they're worth, but you get what you pay for, and CS takes a hit.

Edit* Sorry, Double post
    Last edited by SamuraiZero; 01-16-2008 at 12:16 AM. Reason: double post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast