Copyright issue on names

What are the copyright issues in creating a new domain name. Example - lets say someone created a new domain like xboxforum.com , and did not work for MS. Can an outsider of xbox (or MS) use 'xbox' as a part of a new domain like xboxforum.com??

For your example it would be allowed since you are going to promote the product, you can also create a domain and host a site with the domain xboxsucksbigtime.com.

It depends on the company involved. Some companies are very protective of their marks (see the Ford Mustang thread in the Lounge) while others do not mind. You can't use "MicroSoft" in a domain name but they don't mind their product names in domain names (ie MrExcel.com, ExcelForum.com, xbox360forum.com).

BTW: IANAL.

Quote Originally Posted by ComplexDrive View Post
    For your example it would be allowed since you are going to promote the product, you can also create a domain and host a site with the domain xboxsucksbigtime.com.
    Sorry, but are you SURE??
    Co-Founder @HostHideout. Profoundly influenced by #Bauhaus, @Nameslave unrepentantly embraces #Minimalism with a bias for functionality, color theory and pixel precision: a #multimedia messenger in the McLuhan sense. His totally irrelevant M.Ed. dissertation examines Organizational Culture and Change Management. He also likes Patrik Ervell, Wong Kar-wai and IKEA.

This issue revolves around fair use. If your forum is about the xbox, are you going to call it "the black and green gaming console by microsoft"? It's got a name, and you're allowed to use it.

However, you should consult an IP lawyer. We likely don't have any visiting this forum. There's also some information here:

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/frie...guidelines.htm
    -Mark Adams
    www.bitserve.com - Secure Michigan web hosting for your business.
    Only host still offering a full money back uptime guarantee and prorated refunds.
    Offering advanced server management and security incident response!

There isn't "fair use" of a registered brand and the fair use of copyrighted text is something fuzzy. See more here http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl102.html

Many countries don't extend trademark/registered mark rights to Internet domain names because the same mark can be registered by several companies to be used in different product/service classes. However, I think you should ask permission before investing time and money because your site will explore a trademark/registered mark and not use a name which is trademarked/registered to a different class of product. This way, answering your question with the same example, xboxforum.com can be registered but can't be used to talk about the Microsoft product called xbox.

And then there are the well-known marks ...
    Last edited by dotHostel; 01-15-2008 at 07:17 PM.
    You will only find out how good a provider is when the going gets tough

You cannot copyright a name, you can trademark a name and therefore its a breach of trademark. You would be best contacting microsoft and asking if you can use their name.

You would probably be ok with the name. the funny thing is that it would be easier to defend "MicrosoftXboxsucks.com" then "xboxforum.com" since you could claim commentary or parody on the first one.
    Aaron Wendel
    Wholesale Internet, Inc. - http://www.wholesaleinternet.net
    Kansas City Internet eXchange - http://www.kcix.net

Quote Originally Posted by pepesnick View Post
    What are the copyright issues in creating a new domain name.
    None. However:

Quote Originally Posted by dotHostel View Post
    However, I think you should ask permission before investing time and money because your site will explore a trademark/registered mark and not use a name which is trademarked/registered to a different class of product. This way, answering your question with the same example, xboxforum.com can be registered but can't be used to talk about the Microsoft product called xbox.

And then there are the well-known marks ...
    Quote Originally Posted by RH-Scott View Post
    You cannot copyright a name, you can trademark a name and therefore its a breach of trademark. You would be best contacting microsoft and asking if you can use their name.
    If you put any hints of commercial use (e.g. ads) in the website of the domain name, bearing a term used as a uniquely famous trademark that's heavily protected, you're potentially asking for trouble. If you really want to be able to accomplish such, then ask for "permission" as the others have said.

Unfortunately if the trademark holder says no, then you won't be able to do what I described above.

In the cases of trademarked names: Even if you get permission, arn't you at their mercy? IE. They can demand the domain from you at anytime.

I'd suggest stay clear.
    My education is finally over at 28... But now I am looking for a full time job and tru lurrv...
    Have you found the WHT rules & guidelines? Took me 4 years!

Quote Originally Posted by James Lee View Post
    Even if you get permission, arn't you at their mercy?
    Essentially, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by dotHostel View Post
    There isn't "fair use" of a registered brand and the fair use of copyrighted text is something fuzzy. See more here http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl102.html
    Even though the OP mentioned copyright, this is actually a trademark question, and the government site mentions fair use:

http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/tac/tmlaw2.html
    -Mark Adams
    Only host still offering a full money back uptime guarantee and prorated refunds.

So if one wanted to ask permission to use their trademark name in a domain for a site that take ads, who and how do I conact? Lawer needed?

Technically they could take your domain out if they wanted to, but it would be more of a pain for them to do it than to just have you use the domain.

Don't sell anything on it, and you should be fine.

As long as you don't say your website is official, it should be okay.

If this is really about xbox, and it wasn't an example, I posted a link above where Microsoft gives fan sites permission with certain restrictions, in case you missed it.
    -Mark Adams

Hi Swivelhost - Paul,

Can you sell cookies on the site? Seriously, can you sell other stuff as long as it doesn't have their trademark on it?
    Last edited by casau; 01-18-2008 at 03:26 PM. Reason: clarifying

What happen the other way around. Say I got a domain name wannaBeMe.com and a year later someone register a business and call it WanneBeMe. They then call me up and demand that I gave up my domain name because they have a trademark on the name. Whats my right? This actually happened to my sister and she just didn't want to deal with the headache. So, she sold it for $900.