CoreNetworks.net questions

After browsing through this forum to find a recommended budget Dedicated Server, I've decided that I will try CoreNetworks.net. However, I emailed sales two days ago and have received no reply. This *would* raise a red flag not to do business with them, but I've only heard positive reviews about this place.
    My main question for anyone who has been with them is: What type of Hard drives are used on their systems? They state the size (320gb etc.) but not the type / speed.

Mainly I am interested in the 50$ Mid-range MR28 (out of stock) or the 80$ Upper-Range UR30 plan. Any info on either would be appreciated .

You're always going to have positive and negative reviews of a host. I'm not sure how long they have been in business, but this is the first time I've heard of them.

If you can't get a hold of their sales team, this should still raise a red flag. But than again, either your initial or their response may have been loss in transmission (i.e., spambox). Your best bet is to wait for their response, their information will be more accurate than anyone else.

I agree with daejuanj that there is always going to good and bad reviews about providers as each customer may have different situations or issues, if you have not heard anything bad about them, then they are ahead of the rest.
    Ultimately it comes down to if the host will fit and satisfy your needs.
    IMO, the best way to find this out is to not just search posts in the forums, but also try to speak with a rep from the hosting companies you are considering and see if they really can fulfill your needs and wants.
    I hope this works out for you. Good luck.

Did you ever receive a reply? I asked sales a few question on the 15th, and have yet to receive a reply.

I've been with CoreNetworks for more than a year now and Russell and Andrew are great. They are very patient and respond to me even at 3AM in the morning whether it'd be sales or support.

Chances are that they didnt get your email at all. But there is also the possibility that they might have overlooked, it happens.

To answer your question, I believe they use SATA 7.2 RPM drives. But its best for them to answer that.
    Email: info ///at/// honelive.com

They use sata drives. I have been with corenetworks for a short while, but I have the cheap start server. I don't have any complaints.
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

Quote Originally Posted by Anantha View Post
    I've been with CoreNetworks for more than a year now and Russell and Andrew are great. They are very patient and respond to me even at 3AM in the morning whether it'd be sales or support.

Chances are that they didnt get your email at all. But there is also the possibility that they might have overlooked, it happens.

To answer your question, I believe they use SATA 7.2 RPM drives. But its best for them to answer that.
    Yeah, I just got an answer from Russell a few minutes ago. I did have an uncommon question about the CPU.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    They use sata drives. I have been with corenetworks for a short while, but I have the cheap start server. I don't have any complaints.
    could you put up a phpsysinfo page on one of your servers?

http://phpsysinfo.sf.net

had to install apache.

http://64.85.160.220/phpsysinfo/

Serves as a dns slave, nagios endpoint, openvpn server.
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

Quote Originally Posted by ub3r View Post
    could you put up a phpsysinfo page on one of your servers?

http://phpsysinfo.sf.net
    Russell told me they use different hardware brands depending on the serve.

In the future it may be a good idea to just give them a call. It is much more reliable in terms of communication (in my experience). Plus it gives you an opportunity to actually chat with someone there to get a feel for whether the company is right for you.

Maybe I'm just old fashioned.

/2cents
    Ryan - Limestone Networks - Client Relations Manager
    Cloud, Dedicated & Enterprise Hosting - Premium Network - DDoS Protection Available
    Dedicated Servers @LimestoneInc - limestonenetworks.com - 877.586.0555

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan - Limestone View Post
    In the future it may be a good idea to just give them a call. It is much more reliable in terms of communication (in my experience). Plus it gives you an opportunity to actually chat with someone there to get a feel for whether the company is right for you.

Maybe I'm just old fashioned.

/2cents
    They don't have a sales number, only support for existing customers.

Good point, I overlooked that and just saw an 1800 number.

I would probably call it anyway though, just to see if they answer promptly.
    Ryan - Limestone Networks - Client Relations Manager
    Cloud, Dedicated & Enterprise Hosting - Premium Network - DDoS Protection Available
    Dedicated Servers @LimestoneInc - limestonenetworks.com - 877.586.0555

Wait, lemme get this straight... $24.95/mo gets a celeron with 1TB of traffic? Assuming $10/amp and $10/sqft of space, how could this possibly be a real business model?

Awknet - DDoS Mitigation, Upstream ACLs/Filtering, Unmanaged Dedicated Servers, BGP IP Transit & More!

Quote Originally Posted by jwr View Post
    Wait, lemme get this straight... $24.95/mo gets a celeron with 1TB of traffic? Assuming $10/amp and $10/sqft of space, how could this possibly be a real business model?
    there's a decent setup fee for the lower servers, and the physical location they're at seems to have pretty cheap electricity/etc
    semi-retired

It's not good to assume things.

Quote Originally Posted by daejuanj View Post
    It's not good to assume things.
    Sorry for using the industry standard on space and power. How ignorant of me.

Lets do it another way. I see savvis inbound via 123.net. 123.net also lists Global Crossing and Level 3 as transit providers (couldn't find an ASN for corenetworks). I see the corenetworks ips are owned by Great Lakes Comnet, who utilizes 123.net and UUnet(MCI - $$$) for transit.

1000TB = 3~5mbps 95th = $30~150/mo in bandwidth costs (depending on which carriers the traffic traverses, low~high).

Even with insanely cheap power, and insanely cheap space, and no staff at all, that's still running at a loss.

If each customer used only 1Mbps of their commit, after transaction fees, power, space, and staff there is still no profit. Infact I think it still runs at a loss...

Awknet - DDoS Mitigation, Upstream ACLs/Filtering, Unmanaged Dedicated Servers, BGP IP Transit & More!

Sorry for using the industry standard on space and power. How ignorant of me.

Lets do it another way. I see savvis inbound via 123.net. 123.net also lists Global Crossing and Level 3 as transit providers (couldn't find an ASN for corenetworks). I see the corenetworks ips are owned by Great Lakes Comnet, who utilizes 123.net and UUnet(MCI - $$$) for transit.

1000TB = 3~5mbps 95th = $30~150/mo in bandwidth costs (depending on which carriers the traffic traverses, low~high).

Even with insanely cheap power, and insanely cheap space, and no staff at all, that's still running at a loss.

If each customer used only 1Mbps of their commit, after transaction fees, power, space, and staff there is still no profit. Infact I think it still runs at a loss...
    AS30517 GLC/CORENETWORKS
    Peers
    ASN Name
    -----------------------
    701 UUNET
    7018 ATT-INTERNET4
    11904 ALLENTEL
    12129 123NET
    14699 Unknown
    32937 CAC-FOR-THE-DEAF-AND-HARD-OF-H
    semi-retired

I've had that plan for nearly a year now, and have been very satisfied with it. They do prioratize support requests, though. I've had ~10 minute replies when it's an urgent issue. In fact: Yesterday, at ~8PM EST, I requested an OS upgrade to CentOS 5.1. From the time I sent my email, until it was all set and ready to go, was 1 hr 15 mins.

Quote Originally Posted by Procyon View Post
    list of ASNs
    AS30517 = Great Lakes Comnet.
    AS12129 = 123.net

AS30517/GLC = UUnet and 123Net.
    11904 14699 and 32937 are downstream customers that are likely purchasing transit from GLC.

Quote Originally Posted by Jona102190 View Post
    I've had that plan for nearly a year now, and have been very satisfied with it. They do prioratize support requests, though. I've had ~10 minute replies when it's an urgent issue. In fact: Yesterday, at ~8PM EST, I requested an OS upgrade to CentOS 5.1. From the time I sent my email, until it was all set and ready to go, was 1 hr 15 mins.
    You and most other posters in this thread appear to be having no problems with service or network - I wasn't trying to suggest they're a poor host, just that the business model appears to have overlooked the 'profit' section.

AS30517 = Great Lakes Comnet.
    AS12129 = 123.net

AS30517/GLC = UUnet and 123Net.
    11904 14699 and 32937 are downstream customers that are likely purchasing transit from GLC.

You and most other posters in this thread appear to be having no problems with service or network - I wasn't trying to suggest they're a poor host, just that the business model appears to have overlooked the 'profit' section.
    Also note that they are owned by GreatLakes Comnet.

Quote Originally Posted by Jona102190 View Post
    Also note that they are owned by GreatLakes Comnet.
    Yes they are http://glcom.net/contact/ you can see Russell and Andrew on that page. Although I never got a reply from Robert, must be new to the team.
    Email: info ///at/// honelive.com

I contacted them last week, FAST support for me.
    Their starter LE26 is good deal
    Free firewall, support, KVM
    BUT there is a $69 setup fee
    Good for most people who want a cheap server that you will use for a few months at least

I have been with them over a year now. Started with one of the cheapo 24.95 a month servers. Then had it upgraded to 2gb of ram as it kept paging and got slow. Then one day, something when screwy with the motherboard. They were very fast and paid a lot of attention in getting it fixed. Ended up having to move the hard drive to another server. They did all this very quickly without any hassle, a++++ for russell and andrew. At that time I decided to upgrade and keep the old server also. So now i have the cheapo unit and a larger p4 3.0 with 2gb ram. I run both. One is my web/db server the other is an email server. They do great. I couldn't ask for a better host. I have 2 servers with plenty of capacity for less than a cheapo from another host would cost that wouldn't compare to what i'm getting from corenetworks!