Liquidweb and connection problems

I have a dedicated box with Liquidweb for which I am paying $300 per month, fully managed. I picked Liquidweb due to the excellent references I received here at this forum. However, right from the beginning I have problems connecting to my site.

I update my site frequently and often when I try to go to my site the connection will hang for at least a minute or more before timing out. This occurs all day long and even at 3 in the morning on either DSL or cable modem.

I am writing to see if anyone else has this problem with dedicated hosting on Liquidweb?

I have called and put in trouble tickets to no avail. They have excellent support but they can't resolve the issue. In the meantime, I can surf instantly to any other site, so it is not my connection.

I also have that problem with my IPs being blacklisted from some sites because I am hosted on Liquidweb.

Do you have any Anti-Dos or similar scripts installed on your server? Do others who connect to your server face similar issues? While LiquidWeb support is excellent, not all the technicians working on Level-1 and Level-2 have enough technical expertise to troubleshoot non-cPanel specific issues. Send them all the information relevant to the issue in a ticket and then request them to send the ticket to a senior (Level-3) technician. It generally works for me!

mhm -- I was seriously considering ordering a few servers from LiquidWeb, now I see these blacklisted IP's -- connectivity problem... eek.

hey floridasan,

send me your server ip and let me see what sites are blacklisting you -- get that worked out with LW if something comes up (PM me the IP(s) )

Quote Originally Posted by Floridasan View Post
    I have called and put in trouble tickets to no avail. They have excellent support but they can't resolve the issue. In the meantime, I can surf instantly to any other site, so it is not my connection.
    What is your ticket number? I will look into this for you immediately.
    Travis Stoliker
    Liquid Web - Dedicated Hosting with Heroic Support
    StormOnDemand - Flexible Cloud Hosting Infrastructure
    1-800-580-4985 | Twitter: @liquidweb | @StormOnDemand

I have spoken with just about every tech at Liquid Web over the past 2 months. My server has been "optimized" at least 3 times with no improvement in connection times. Last week my site - which averages less than 100k page views per day - crashed. Your tech was unable to get into the server for 15 minutes to see what the problem was. My server is a dual core Celeron with 4 Gigs of ram. This should not be happening. It is all very frustrating. As I mentioned before I continue to see 30 second lags and time outs while connecting to my site. No one at LW seems to know what the problem is so I will be changing hosts.

Quote Originally Posted by madmike111 View Post
    mhm -- I was seriously considering ordering a few servers from LiquidWeb, now I see these blacklisted IP's -- connectivity problem... eek.
    What exactly are these blacklist IP problems? How do you know your IP's are blacklisted? Is there a certain online tool for checking this? Thanks.

If your IPs are banned you will know when you attempt to reply to an email and it immediately bounces back with an error message saying your IP has been banned for abuse or some such.

Quote Originally Posted by apacheMan View Post
    What exactly are these blacklist IP problems? How do you know your IP's are blacklisted? Is there a certain online tool for checking this? Thanks.
    You can see if your IP is blacklisted by using the spamcop website as well.

http://spamcop.net/bl.shtml
    Fast SSD Dedicated Servers || 24/7 365 Support || Money-Back Guarantee
    Dedicated Servers || Colocation || IP Transit
    Need to get in touch? Drop us an email at info[at]quadix.co

Quote Originally Posted by volumedrive View Post
    You can see if your IP is blacklisted by using the spamcop website as well.

http://spamcop.net/bl.shtml
    Dealing with spamcop and spamhaus is not the easiest thing to do.

Clint
    Clint Chapman ** www.ubiquityhosting.com ** www.ubiquitycloud.com
    Ubiquity Hosting ** Colocation ** Dedicated ** Cloud Servers ** VPS ** IP Transit
    Chicago ** Dallas ** Los Angeles ** Seattle ** Atlanta ** Newark ** Phoenix ** AS15003

Quote Originally Posted by blahrus View Post
    Dealing with spamcop and spamhaus is not the easiest thing to do.

Clint
    Right, but using the online tool is a quick way to see if your IP is blacklisted...
    Fast SSD Dedicated Servers || 24/7 365 Support || Money-Back Guarantee
    Dedicated Servers || Colocation || IP Transit
    Need to get in touch? Drop us an email at info[at]quadix.co

Well, they are talking about the server IP(s) being blacklisted, not their own. It seemed strange for the poster to reply saying they were considering LW, until they read this post about blacklisting and connectivity issues. Certainly a valid reason to want to rethink going with someone, but all of these issues the OP faces could be due to insecure scripts on their own server that are being exploited and why they are blacklisted, or it could also be all of LW (I know that a large portion of theplanet was blacklisted by spews for a long time, which affected a lot of innocent dedicated server users). So, it's difficult to say.

The connectivity issues might be network or server related, we saw no traceroutes or additional information. They said their server was managed, so perhaps if you are experienced enough you can more properly run a server without these issues and not worry about the LW staff being able to solve an on-server problem, like this client has to rely upon. So, they might have legitimate issues and they might be enough of a worry to read this thread and sign up with some other DC instead, but this thread alone shouldn't be the reason to rethink it, not without more information and research, because every DC has these type of complaints.

I'm not a big fan of LW, but I've also not used them very much for 3 or 4 years now, so maybe they've improved the aspects I had issues with (the network level). Don't let a negative or positive one-time thread sway you, unless you have more details (you could end up missing out on a good hosting experience, or get stuck in a bad one, depending).

Hi,

I have nearly 1 dozen servers with Liquidweb, so far no issue with connectivity.

The blacklisting issue is quiet normal if you are offering shared hosting or sending bulk e-mails, the best would be to check your ips in blacklists database and request dnsbl service provider to remove your ip address from list.
    LoopByte
    India Based Dedicated Servers, VPS & Hosting Services

If only I could get some servers with LiquidWeb that worked! lol
    Not my experience.

They are self regious and not helpful, great if you've got a little blog and you want to think you're with the best! lol

Quote Originally Posted by djorgensen View Post
    If only I could get some servers with LiquidWeb that worked! lol
    Not my experience.

They are self regious and not helpful, great if you've got a little blog and you want to think you're with the best! lol

Hello Djorgensen,
    You have servers with us and we're not being helpful? I'm not sure I understand exactly, please send me your ticket numbers so that I can look into this for you. Thank you
    Travis Stoliker
    Liquid Web - Dedicated Hosting with Heroic Support
    StormOnDemand - Flexible Cloud Hosting Infrastructure
    1-800-580-4985 | Twitter: @liquidweb | @StormOnDemand

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=673948

Ive got the ticket in a nice PDF for you!

Ive got a response quicker on this forum than I get on your ticket system!