What kind of hosting do I need?

I am completely clueless about these kinds of things. I hired a team to design and create my ecommerce site. This is my first time. My programmer has me on a dedicated server for which I am paying $80/month, and I really don't think I need this. Additionally, he won't give me access to the server, because he says it's under his account which gave me a discount. So I am looking to switch. He says he will give me all the files but will not transfer them for me.
    So, I don't even know what I need - there are so many cheap plans that look great, but I know there must be a catch. My programmer also claims they won't work for my site.
    I have a cubecart shopping cart and around 100 items at any given time.
    Please advise, thank you!

i'd say get your files stored as backups on your own computer (just to be safe) and when you switch to a nother host get THEM to transfer your files. Now adays, many hosts transfer your previous files from host to host.

If you have no real need for dedicated - get something like a vps under your own name. Check out some offers around here for VPS'.

Im suggesting u use a VPS b/c you said its a business - so i dont recommend you going on a shared plan with other people.

If you think, you don't need the dedicated server,you can try to get virtual private server. Each virtual server can run its own full-fledged operating system, and each server can be independently rebooted.

I signed up with hostlyon.com and they set me up with a free merchant account and helped me with the shopping cart, they are really good for ecommerce websites!