In search for a US hosting account for power users

Hi,

I am actually a Belgian hosting provider, but in search for a shared hosting account to host some websites mainly aimed at the US market.

These are my basic requirements:

- Linux/Apache based
    - PHP5/MySQL5
    - Multiple domains, around 20 should be fine (full usage, so no forwarders or anything), no need for a reseller account as it's just for personal use.
    - 1GB webspace
    - 20GB data transfer
    - .htaccess
    - DNS editor (be able to manage zone files, so add/update A records, MX records)
    - Shell access would be nice, but is not essential

Budget: around $10-15/month

I have been doing some research and it seems my ideal host would be one that could combine the features/freedom of Dreamhost and the support/performance/reliability of Hostgator.

I had almost chosen for Hostgator, but it seems that they don't offer a DNS editor, which I would probably need alot. And I don't want to contact support for this everytime.

It also seems many US providers are slamming the market with the GBs and even TBs of webspace and data transfer. Although that would be nice, it's not really a main requirement.

So, I would really would like to hear some personal experiences from you of webhosts that would fit my needs.

Thanks

Many host's around here will fit your needs. You also have a good budget. What kind of control panel are you looking for. And it will probably be hard to find a host with DNS editor. Search around the offers section you might find what your looking for.

- Daniel
    Managed & Unmanaged SSD VPS's by tmzVPS.com | FAST PURE SSD & HDD Plans!
    █ Locations in USA & United Kingdom - Legal Adult Content Allowed! 24/7 Certified Support.
    cPanel/WHM Included | Premium Softaculous | Data Migration Included with Managed Support.
    █ INSTANT SETUP | Paypal, Skrill, 2checkout, BitCoin & all Major Credit Cards Accepted! Skype: tmzvps.chat

Quote Originally Posted by TmzHosting View Post
    Many host's around here will fit your needs. You also have a good budget. What kind of control panel are you looking for. And it will probably be hard to find a host with DNS editor. Search around the offers section you might find what your looking for.

- Daniel
    Hi Daniel,

No real preference regarding cp, as longs as it fits my needs I am fine with it.

I'll have a look at the hosting offers, but the problem is that I am not familiar with the US market so that's why I was asking for some personal experiences.

Meanwhile, please feel free to post any comments.

If you want direct access to modify your DNS zone, then, you should not use a Cpanel host, unless they are going to give you WHM access. Take that in considiration on your search.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

To be able to edit DNS ZONE, you need to be at least the admin of the server or own a reseller account that give you WHM access. (Webhost manager) . The most you can do with a shared account is edit the MX entry. Not A record.

Hope it helps.
    Affordable Managed Hosting Solutions for Professional & Business since 2001
    Mxhub.com - Global : USA - UK - Canada - Europe - Asia Pacific

ingvald,

i believe precision effect would fit your needs and be within your budget. they come highly recommended by myself and many other WHT users.

dave

Quote Originally Posted by Jedito View Post
    If you want direct access to modify your DNS zone, then, you should not use a Cpanel host, unless they are going to give you WHM access. Take that in considiration on your search.
    Some cPanel hosts may be willing to give restricted WHM-level access, with only the DNS related functions visible. That's the best solution I can think of if the OP would like cPanel.

Other control panels such as H-Sphere and DirectAdmin have the ability to provide this level of control to the end-user.

20 domains as in 20 separate websites may be a little difficult to find, while 20 parked domains (or "domain pointers") shouldn't be a problem.
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

Quote Originally Posted by layer0 View Post
    Some cPanel hosts may be willing to give restricted WHM-level access, with only the DNS related functions visible. That's the best solution I can think of if the OP would like cPanel.

Other control panels such as H-Sphere and DirectAdmin have the ability to provide this level of control to the end-user.
    Indeed, I already noticed from the demo from cPanel. I don't specifically require cPanel, but it seems lots of US hosters use it. Dreamhost seems to have all the functionality I require, but I read a lot of bad reviews. And Hostgator has the good reputation, but they use cPanel unfortunately.
    20 domains as in 20 separate websites may be a little difficult to find, while 20 parked domains (or "domain pointers") shouldn't be a problem.[/QUOTE]
    I really need at least 10 full websites, maybe expandable to 20 in the future.

We offer it as a default, our own smallest hosting package has the ability to host 5 websites/domains.

So still looking for options...

If you want to be able to fiddle around with DNS, you might want to check out a H-Sphere provider.

Quote Originally Posted by jhost View Post
    Did you ever consider a low end VPS?
    Yes, I did. But then I would probably have to raise my budget and I currently don't need the power/freedom of a VPS.

And it would probably also take time to manage it, and for this specific project I want as less overhead as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Henrik View Post
    If you want to be able to fiddle around with DNS, you might want to check out a H-Sphere provider.
    Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. The same goes for DirectAdmin btw.

H-Sphere would work, but if you want CPanel then I would recommend increasing your budget if possible and going with a low end VPS.

Just my two cents worth =)

Hmm you could get a reseller account with dns editor priviledge only.. it would be the easiest option for a cheap price. I can provide you with a custom plan for a really good price but don't think I can advertise on here..
    Last edited by AWH - Kalpesh; 01-15-2008 at 07:49 PM.

HSphere Control Panel (and thus any HSpehre hosts) will allow you to manage your DNS.
    Fluid Hosting, LLC - HSphere Shared and Reseller hosting - Now with HIGH AVAILABILITY
    Fluid VPS - Linux and Windows Virtuozzo VPS - Enterprise VPS with up to 2 GB guaranteed memory!
    Get your N+1 High Availability Enterprise Cloud
    Equinix Secaucus NY2 (NYC Metro)