Is Mediatemple really that bad?

After almost 6 months of bad experience with our previous web hosting provider, we have decided to move to another one. One of our website's administrators have ended up ordering the ( gs )package from mediatemple which he finds affordable and suitable for our website (500-1000 uniques a day, powered by wordpress & SMF forums) .
    Personally, this name (mediatemple) has been buzzing in my head long time ago (yep, they have created a lot of buzz in the internet. great marketers), that's why I didn't reject the idea of choosing them as our hosting provider.
    But now, and after searching about them in WHT & google, I've found from your reviews that their gs package is horribly slow, unstable and totally a joke.
    Are they really that bad? Have they improved their services since the date of the most bad reviews (few months ago) ? Will the website be damn slow/down again? I'm lost :-)

Well since you ordered it already, I guess you could try it out for a spin . From what I can tell it can be somewhat slow at times, based on the stuff I read in threads about them, although I haven't heard much lately about them.

My experience with them has not been very stellar. My speeds were generally slower than normal or what I have experienced in the past and I though I know many love the product, I got to experience first hand why I truly do not like Plesk.

This again was just my experience and was on their VPS so you might find their regular hosting plans different or you might even have a different experience that will have you back in 6 months singing their praise.

I personally am just glad to be back where I am.

Good luck with your decision.

(sent domain of discussion to be verified by WHT)

Quote Originally Posted by waseemh View Post
    After almost 6 months of bad experience with our previous web hosting provider, we have decided to move to another one. One of our website's administrators have ended up ordering the ( gs )package from mediatemple which he finds affordable and suitable for our website (500-1000 uniques a day, powered by wordpress & SMF forums) .
    Personally, this name (mediatemple) has been buzzing in my head long time ago (yep, they have created a lot of buzz in the internet. great marketers), that's why I didn't reject the idea of choosing them as our hosting provider.
    But now, and after searching about them in WHT & google, I've found from your reviews that their gs package is horribly slow, unstable and totally a joke.
    Are they really that bad? Have they improved their services since the date of the most bad reviews (few months ago) ? Will the website be damn slow/down again? I'm lost :-)
    Best advice: don't let marketing gimmicks fool you.

Sound like you could use a semi-dedicated account, which have been around for over a decade now. Keep it simple and avoid shiny marketing gimmicks and it will save you hours of irritation.

Kind Regards,

their database servers are their weakspot. MT is pretty bad host for anything that needs a database.

Yes, although Media Temple is largely a decent host (and before the 'Grid Server' was widely considered a great host), their PHP/MySQL performance really lets them down.

Although it's hard to gauge whether it's the PHP or the MySQL that causes it (or maybe the storage architecture as they say), a WordPress page's execution time can vary from a stellar 0.162 seconds to a terrible 2.700 seconds, seemingly at random.

It's largely the instability of the dynamic page execution that kills the service. Simply having pages that load in great time one second and rubbish time the next kills your trust in the service.

The only good thing is that this mediocre performance scales to the digg effect and whatnot with little perceptible change. Clearly overall capacity isn't the issue, but instead the technology.

Media Temple is doing a big upgrade to the service during the next month or so, so perhaps that will address some of these problems. As it stands though, I don't think many people serving dynamic pages on the Grid Server will be quick to call it recommendable unless they simply haven't experienced other hosts.

500 unique users per day shouldn't require even a VPS, let alone a dedicated server, I would think. That's only 15,000 unique hits per month. There are small blogs that get more attention and they used shared hosting accounts.

Cheers,
    Doug

I only hear bad things about mt recently. lol..

I have a domain hosted on MT's GS plan, and while it's fine, the response time varies way too much for me to run an important site on it. Sometimes I'll get great speeds, other times it will be 10x slower than what I'm used to. I rather have consistency. I'm also not a fan of the remote SQL solution, which is probably why the speeds differ so much. SSH is pretty limited too, at least more than what I'm used to, and I'm a heavy SSH user. I also hear they're dropping the GS plan in lieu of something else, so I'd wait until that comes out honestly.

I always detect a website hosted by (mt) even before it's loaded... and that's mainly because (mt)-hosted sites never load properly for me. Very inconsistent, I have no clue why all the designers and developers are so keen on them, because frankly they just suck and went downhill with their silly grid.
    hi there!

The Grid Server's replacement is largely going to be an updated version of the same thing, Fixago. They evidently feel confident enough in their revisions to rebrand it as Cluster Server, presumably to shake off the tarnished reputation that Grid Server has.

They've invested a lot into the general architecture so it'd be insane for them to just scrap it completely, and I do think the concept has promise if it can be pulled off properly. I can see a lot of bloggers being drawn to the guarantee of coping with something like the digg effect but not having to pay for those CPU/RAM resources 24/7 (as with a dedicated server or a semi-dedicated plan).

And to be fair, the Grid Server has shown it's able to do this, even if it means some people have to buy more 'GPUs' in extraordinarily high months of usage such as multiple digg effects (although the price is still likely lower than most (semi-)dedicated plans).

Clustered computing is most probably the future of hosting in general, although its expense stops a lot of the teenage resellers from offering it. Media Temple over-marketed its value though, just like they do with everything they sell (and always have).

Guys also note down that mashable.com runs on wordpress in mediatemple servers, must be on dedicated.

alexa.com/data/details/traffic_details/mashable.com

You kinda brought up an old thread on MediaTemple, there are newer ones where it has been pointed out that these sites have MT's logo on them and are likely on dedicated servers there.

Quote Originally Posted by subbu View Post
    Guys also note down that mashable.com runs on wordpress in mediatemple servers, must be on dedicated.

alexa.com/data/details/traffic_details/mashable.com
    Many sites are hosted at MT, as long as you are on a dv or dedicated you should be okay.

their web design is the best.