Anyone heard of Icanahost?

I haven't used their hosting for a while but thought I might mention it. I had actually purchased their "unlimited" resller hosting plan for $40/month off Ebay to offer some of my ebook customers a little free hosting. Unfortunately, their claims were false and they did have limits on their hosting. After I used up about 35Gb of space they suspended my account and didn't give me a chance to access my website information. Their customer service rep actually wanted $5 for me to access my FTP! I was so angry I didn't pay it. What's funny is that people are claiming they are a legitimate hosting company. I honestly don't think this is a real web host because real hosts don't treat their customers in that fashion.

Quote Originally Posted by gregdavidson View Post
    I haven't used their hosting for a while but thought I might mention it. I had actually purchased their "unlimited" resller hosting plan for $40/month off Ebay to offer some of my ebook customers a little free hosting. Unfortunately, their claims were false and they did have limits on their hosting. After I used up about 35Gb of space they suspended my account and didn't give me a chance to access my website information. Their customer service rep actually wanted $5 for me to access my FTP! I was so angry I didn't pay it. What's funny is that people are claiming they are a legitimate hosting company. I honestly don't think this is a real web host because real hosts don't treat their customers in that fashion.
    That is not a nice situation to get in, however understandably they can not offer unlimited resources, they should not place a customer into a situation he or she can not access their data anymore, atleast in those cases that it is a resource problem and not another legal issue.

I wish you good luck in finding another host, and remember there is no such thing as a free meal.
    cPanel Servers in Europe: Strasbourg (FR), Haarlem & Amsterdam (NL) & Kent (UK), USA (Los Angeles, St.Louis), Asia (Singapore) | Follow us at Twitter: @040hosting
    Shared | Reseller | (managed) Dedicated Hosting | Domain Registrar | SSL Registrar | Cloudlinux Partner| 040Hosting (Registered company #17093425 KVK Eindhoven, The Netherlands)

You should always remember that you will get for what you pay. These unlimited offers are just business gimmicks.
    You cannot expect more than a dedicated server for the price of a shared host. Also, all that is given on the front page can be indirectly ly taken away in the Term of Service.

Did they tell any special reason for suspending you?
    iHubNet Ltd - Premium Hosting Solutions 4 ALL
    Solid Support Solid Equipment Solid Network
    Shared Hosting / Reseller Hosting / Managed Server
    Matt A.

They actually didn't give me a real reason and didn't contact me prior to suspending my account. If they wanted me to lessen the space I was using they should have contacted me and I would've done so. You can check out their website at Icanahost.com. They no longer have their "unlimited" plan but they do have a 50GB plan for about $40. They shouldn't advertise that much space if they can't honor it. Also, I didn't violate their TOS. I just issued out about 75 accounts to my ebook customers.

Their customer service rep actually wanted $5 for me to access my FTP! I was so angry I didn't pay it.
    Truth be told, $5 is a low amount of money for getting back your data. What I mean is that surely your customers considered it to be worth more than that.

After I used up about 35Gb of space they suspended my account and didn't give me a chance to access my website information.
    They actually didn't give me a real reason and didn't contact me prior to suspending my account.
    Then, like you, we can only guess that the reason was the amount of disk space you were using. It's still possible that the reason was entirely different.

I guess I'll still have to file this story under the "ebay unlimited hosting experiences" category, even if only for the very limited customer service you've got.

I would describe them in the following terms : the worst hosting provider I can ever see ...but probably somewhat a match for what you pay for.

Hi

Thats bad news chap.. It would be different if a huge provider offered a special unlimited Package, because at least you can place some trust there, but to just suspend your account not giving any reason that just amazes me.

even if I my self have to suspend an account for illegal activity I still provide them with a backup of there full Website and e-mails for free.

maybe they just have a small server, and are over selling, whow knows, but I really do feel for you, I know what that is like.

Best of Luck