slave: not found
    IDE 1 master: not found
    Initializing SCSI: done
    Initializing ethernet: done
    Initializing EEPROMs: done
    EEPROM Bank 0: Intel E28F008S5 1MB
    EEPROM Bank 1: not installed.
    Mounting rom_fs: Both blocks have bad checksums.
    done
    Initializing RTC: done
    Initializing i18n - language "en": failed
    Trying English: failed - no language loaded - trouble will ensue

String not found
    Booting default method - String not found

Can't open file "/vmlinux.gz"
    Ok, a couple of months ago I got a RaQ3 for cheap.. I wanted to upgrade the OS because it was running an OLD version of The RaQ3 Linux OS.
    I flashed the rom and since then my RaQ3 is a brick..

Now, doing a big clean-up, I found it.. tested it and I realized that, at the end.. It's looking for a "/vmlinux.gz"..

Is it looking in the prom or on the HD ?

If my memory is good I had to give the HD back to the original owner so the HD in the RaQ3 is a blank HD..

Is it possible it's only missing a linux installation on the HD or is it that my prom is dead and I need to find a prom writter ?

vmlinux.gz is a linux file.

That error is simply because it can't find the file due to the HD being blank.

Once the OS has been installed on the HD it should work.

Well.. isn't like a basic linux installed in the prom ?

Where can I get a RaQ 3 image to restore it on the HD ?

Yes, the ROM contains a version of the kernel, but it looks to me like you have a sufficiently working ROM to, at a minimum, reload it. csc2ya may also be correct, but the "Mounting rom_fs: Both blocks have bad checksums" error makes it sound like you've got mis-burned ROM. There are instructions kicking around on the web on how to do a ROM load over the serial port -- you should try that before you conclude that you really have a brick.

Here is what happen when I get in the eprom on the serial port (pressing space bar when booting)

Cobalt Networks - 'We serve it, you surf it'
    Firmware version 2.3.0

ROM Build info: Wed Oct 6 15:23:25 PDT 1999 freakshow.cobaltnet.com
    System serial number: 3H03AM0137207
    Memory found: 128 MB
    Initializing I2C bus: done
    Scanning PCI bus: done
    Initializing IDE: done
    IDE 0 master: found
    IDE 1 master: not found
    Initializing SCSI: done
    Initializing ethernet: done
    Initializing EEPROMs: done
    EEPROM Bank 0: Intel E28F008S5 1MB
    EEPROM Bank 1: not installed.
    Mounting rom_fs: Both blocks have bad checksums.
    done
    Initializing RTC: done
    Initializing i18n - language "en": failed
    Trying English: failed - no language loaded - trouble will ensue

String not found

Cobalt: String not found> eeprom
    String not found

Cobalt: String not found> main
    String not found

Cobalt: String not found> reboot
    String not found

Cobalt: String not found> boot
    String not found

Cobalt: String not found> help
    String not found

Cobalt: String not found> ?
    String not found
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    String not found
    String not found
    String not found
    String not found
    String not found
    String not found
    String not found
    String not found

Cobalt: String not found> write_eeprom
    String not found

Cobalt: String not found>

I have searched on the net.. I haven't found any writter for that kind of eprom..
    Anyone have the instructions on how to build my own ? I have a friend who have what's necessary to do surface mount stuff and he would be willing to help me with that.

Go here http://www.osoffice.co.uk/strongbolt...ppliances.html and get the Strongbolt CD (it's dirt cheap) and this will install the OS and the lastest version of Bluequartz onto your RAQ.
    I have done it and it is so easy and your 'brick' will be no more.
    In case you don't know 'Bluequartz' is the open source version of the RAQ550 O/S.

Is the nuonce CentOS/BlueQuartz the same thing ?

nuonce CentOS+BlueQuartz is free (http://www.nuonce.net/bq-cd.php)

I installed it first in a virtual machine on VMWare to test it once it was downloaded.. I can't see any /vmlinux.gz file (wich is what my RaQ3 seems to need to work..

Quote Originally Posted by robkelley View Post
    Go here http://www.osoffice.co.uk/strongbolt...ppliances.html and get the Strongbolt CD (it's dirt cheap) and this will install the OS and the lastest version of Bluequartz onto your RAQ.
    I have done it and it is so easy and your 'brick' will be no more.
    In case you don't know 'Bluequartz' is the open source version of the RAQ550 O/S.
    btw..

I had the opportunity to put my hand on the strongbolt installation CD.. It boots in an other computer so I can boot my RaQ3 by pressing the "S" button to install the system..

The "S" Button on my RaQ3 gives me the "No String Found"

Good thing I had the opportunity to test the product before purchasing.. heh

I installed it on an old RAQ3 with no problems at all.
    Yes it pretty much the same as the nuonce flavour, but the nuonce flavour cannot be installed onto a RAQ.

RaQ3's and 4's are prone to capacitors dying on the motherboard. This can lead to a lot of different failures. We had one die like you have described before and it was due to this.

I recommend you contact RaQware.com. They can refurb your RaQ or replace it with a refurbed unit. Or... they may be interested in purchasing yours, even if it has a problem.

Complete RaQ Refurb is available here:
    http://store.raqware.com/product_inf...products_id=82

Good luck!
    Chris Gebhardt
    VIRTBIZ Internet Services
    Web Hosting, Dallas Colocation, Dedicated Server
    virtbiz.com | ph (972)485-4125 | toll-free (866)485-4125

I have a XTR that I use for all my cobalt devel work and it did the same thing... Anyway I don't have time to post a long answer now, but you should know that Your RaQ is doing fine!

Quote Originally Posted by zeffie View Post
    I have a XTR that I use for all my cobalt devel work and it did the same thing... Anyway I don't have time to post a long answer now, but you should know that Your RaQ is doing fine!
    I can't wait to get the long story when you have the time

I have done a number of StrongBolt installs and never seen that error. You may do better asking on the Strongbolt forum here.

Quote Originally Posted by gnetwerker View Post
    I have done a number of StrongBolt installs and never seen that error. You may do better asking on the Strongbolt forum <snip>.

Would you please explain how you expect this person to netboot in order to install your never updated rip off software?

"never updated rip off software"? Zeffie, would you please clarify how you find the CentOS and BlueQuartz repositories to be "never updated" and the price of free to be a "rip off"? I don't believe I understand.

True, the StrongBolt installer itself is a paid license, and I cannot speak to the installer itself being updated. But does it need to be?

IIRC the StrongBolt installer CD boots Knopix to the GUI desktop, and includes illustrated instructions on what to connect, what buttons to press, and what the various install screens will look like on a healthy system.
    Chris Gebhardt

Quote Originally Posted by virtbiz View Post
    "never updated rip off software"? Zeffie, would you please clarify how you find the CentOS and BlueQuartz repositories to be "never updated" and the price of free to be a "rip off"? I don't believe I understand.

True, the StrongBolt installer itself is a paid license, and I cannot speak to the installer itself being updated. But does it need to be?

IIRC the StrongBolt installer CD boots Knopix to the GUI desktop, and includes illustrated instructions on what to connect, what buttons to press, and what the various install screens will look like on a healthy system.

Any response to this will be posted to this thread

until then I would suggest you search the archives... or just scroll down and review this forum.

I just want to thank Zeffie for his help with my RaQ3.

Zeffie did a magic trick where NuOnce, StrongBolt and all the howtos I found searching google failed!

Thank you again Zeffie and I will not forget to refer you to the people I know who still own Cobalt servers!

Really? What was up with the RaQ? If there's a magic trick, it might really help future searchers with similar issues, especially if the solution wasn't readily found.
    Chris Gebhardt

Chirs,

I'm here to defend myself and try to help people from being mis-lead by mis-information.

I have never released the ROM 'pkg' file that I used and I don't have any intention to at this time. When and if I do I will most likely release it and the how to information in my own forums. Not here for various reasons like the inability to post a link to it.

Okie Doakie. My intent was to have the information available for anybody that may run into this issue in the future. So for archival purposes, it appears that one answer could be "check with zeffie for his proprietary solution."
    Chris Gebhardt

well I wouldn't use the word "proprietary"