CheapVPS 5-month review

I've been with CheapVPS.co.uk for a little over 5 months now. I signed up for a very nice offer I saw in the VPS offers section mainly because Rus Foster had been a member of WHT for 4 years (at that time) and had a few thousands posts on these forums. So they felt trustworthy. Let's move on to the actual review of the most important aspects of my unmanaged VPS experience.

Specifications of my plan
    - 256MB RAM burstable to 512MB (for about a month I was using around 480MB )
    - 5GB HD space
    - 150GB Bandwidth
    - Many distribution templates to choose from

Network connectivity and speed
    I never had an issue in regard to their network, speeds are awesome - once I got 16MB/s downloading a test file onto the VPS. Normal speeds when updating debian packages or downloading other files from the Internet are around 5MB/s.

Connectivity/Speed Rating: 10/10

Uptime
    The VPS' uptime has been pretty awesome and is usually counted in months. However, there was one incident (see below) that caused some noticeable downtime which occurred after my third month with them. I haven't noticed the slightest downtime before or after that incident.

Uptime Rating: 9/10

Overall VPS performance
    The VPS is extremely fast and responsive. I really couldn't ask for more here.

Performance Rating: 10/10

Support
    Overall, the support I've received these 5 months has been great. I'm really impressed by Rus' experience, knowledge and helpfulness! But I do have one small complaint to make regarding the rest of the support staff I've talked to. Every time I've been replied to by someone other than Rus, it felt like they didn't know their stuff.

Support Rating: 9.5/10

The only issues I had
    On Nov 18 2007 I noticed that my VPS was rebooting without any reason so I created a support ticket stating the problem. Rus replied within 6 minutes to let me know that the host node was being unstable. After 18 hours I was notified that the host maching had been replaced. Unfortunately, the problem continued with more reboots the following day so I reopened the ticket. The issue was then fixed the same day. Another minor issue was the slowdown I experienced at some time which was resolved by moving me to another node.

All in all, I'm very satisfied with my VPS and I hearty recommend CheapVPS to anyone who is looking for a nice but also cheap VPS.

Personal thanks to Rus for making the whole experience so smooth and enjoyable.
    foutrelis.com | meow ('-')

Thumbs up

I second this review - it's a fantastic deal with decent hardware and connectivity. Obviously for the price you don't get many frills but the support staff have seemed to know what they were doing whenever I have had problems. Performance has been a lot better than previous Virtuozzo-based VPSs I've used.

I had to fix a couple of things in the Ubuntu image that was provided. The worst of these was that initially the swap partition was broken in /etc/fstab (an issue I've seen on my own upgraded Ubuntu machine). The nice thing about running Xen in Ubuntu or Debian is that you get to upgrade the whole system and it should still work. I'm going to upgrade to the next LTS release of Ubuntu when it comes out.

Anyway, good service on great hardware by a great team with an amazing price... what's not to like?

Glad you had a better experience than me

I had a LXAdmin VPS with them and had so many problems with it. Mostly on the software side. LXAdmin wasn't correctly setup and was causing all sorts of problems which CheapVPS staff couldn't fix - I had to leave.
    WHSuite - Billing, Automation and Client Management Software.

Congratulations, you get more than what you paid for.
    Quote Originally Posted by foutrelis View Post
    [/B] - 256MB RAM burstable to 512MB (for about a month I was using around 480MB )
    16MB/s and 5MB/s when download a single file?
    I can't believe it. Are you saying 16Mbps and 5Mbps?
    Quote Originally Posted by foutrelis View Post
    Network connectivity and speed
    I never had an issue in regard to their network, speeds are awesome - once I got 16MB/s downloading a test file onto the VPS. Normal speeds when updating debian packages or downloading other files from the Internet are around 5MB/s.

Quote Originally Posted by john8 View Post
    Congratulations, you get more than what you paid for.
    It was a special offer with double RAM.

Quote Originally Posted by john8 View Post
    16MB/s and 5MB/s when download a single file?
    I can't believe it. Are you saying 16Mbps and 5Mbps?
    No, I'm saying MB/s not Mb/s (multiply MB/s by 8 to convert to Mb/s).

The file I downloaded at 16MB/s, was from cachefly.com. It must be located in the same data center I think, since a second try gives me around 60MB/s.

[email protected]:~$ wget http://cachefly.cachefly.net/100mb.test
    --13:28:12-- http://cachefly.cachefly.net/100mb.test
    => `100mb.test'
    Resolving cachefly.cachefly.net... 205.234.175.175
    Connecting to cachefly.cachefly.net|205.234.175.175|:80... connected.
    HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
    Length: 104,857,600 (100M) [application/octet-stream]

100%[====================================>] 104,857,600 59.61M/s

13:28:13 (59.56 MB/s) - `100mb.test' saved [104857600/104857600]
    And another test file download from UK:

[email protected]:~$ wget http://fuller.zen.co.uk/test/100MB_zero.bin
    --13:33:33-- http://fuller.zen.co.uk/test/100MB_zero.bin
    => `100MB_zero.bin'
    Resolving fuller.zen.co.uk... 212.23.6.76
    Connecting to fuller.zen.co.uk|212.23.6.76|:80... connected.
    HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
    Length: 104,857,600 (100M) [application/octet-stream]

100%[====================================>] 104,857,600 8.38M/s ETA 00:00

13:33:47 (7.73 MB/s) - `100MB_zero.bin' saved [104857600/104857600]
    foutrelis.com | meow ('-')