Cat5 Network Cable Kit?

Well, I have been meaning to do this for some time now and I finally have the spare time to do it. I want to run CAT5 to every room of my house. There is 4 Rooms so I am going to guesstimate that I will roughly 400 feet of cable.

Does anyone know of the best (cheapest) place to get a roll or box of Cat5, with crimpers, Tester, and RJ45 plugs?

Thanks!
    Robert

Nice idea. Personally I would suggest overcabling the rooms so you don't need to run more cables in the future. Everything is going over the network these days.

I'm based in the UK so can't really advise on pricing in the US stores but this is what I paid here and where I sourced the stuff.

24 port patch panel (used) - £5 from ebay via UK
    300m CAT5e cable (new) - £35 from ebay via UK
    100 pack RJ45 plugs/Crimper/Tester - £15 from ebay via HK
    16U SKELTEK open rack - £70 from ebay
    Punch down tool - £10 from Maplins

This doesn't include things like postage. The rack was quite expensive to post. You could get something like a 6U cabinet and wall mount it. I only choose the rack as I have Cisco equipment that I do my CCNP studies in.

Things like boxes of cables can often be purchased cheaper through ebay as you have people buy pallet loads of the stuff and then sell at a discounted price.

Measure your cable runs then add 10% to your cable calculations. Also when numbering your cables I'd personally recommend numbering along the cable a few times up to about 15 inchs in. Useful if your running say 5 cables from 1 room to another as they will never end up exactly the same size and you will have to cut some of them by a few inches. You should also take into account that a cable terminating into port 1 on the patch panel will be shorter or longer than a cable in patch 24 depending if your cable comes from the right or left.

Good luck with your cabling project!
    ...loading

Get the 1000ft pack, which comes with the tools you need.

It usually runs for $64 and you can use in the future too.

Peace,
    Testing 1.. Testing 1..2.. Testing 1..2..3...

Yea, I ended up getting a 500ft kit from Ebay that had 100 boots, 100, RJ45 plugs, Tester, and Crimper/Striper for $64.03 Shipped.

I really have no need for more, but hey, it'll be here when I need to run more.

Does anyone know where to get Cat5 Keyholes from? ( This is the cheapest I've found. )

Thanks Everyone!!

Quote Originally Posted by platinumn23 View Post
    Yea, I ended up getting a 500ft kit from Ebay that had 100 boots, 100, RJ45 plugs, Tester, and Crimper/Striper for $64.03 Shipped.
    For the price you got a good deal but I would strongly suggest getting a quality crimper.

The Ideal ratcheting Telemaster is a great tool, isn't that expensive, and crimps much more reliably than those orange-handled pieces of junk.

You'll probably want to get a UTP stripper also that strips circularly around the cable rather than down through the cable. Much better and you avoid slicing the inner jackets.

This is what I got:
    http://59.124.16.10/items/Pic/10-15/10-15.jpg
    http://59.124.16.10/items/Pic/10-15/10-15-1.jpg
    http://59.124.16.10/items/Pic/10-15/10-15-2.jpg
    http://59.124.16.10/items/Pic/10-15/10-15-3.jpg
    http://59.124.16.10/items/Pic/10-15/10-15-4.jpg

The I ordered the following from FireFold.com:
    5x Toolless Cat5E RJ45 Keystone Jack - White $8.45
    1x Wall Plate, 4 Ports - White $0.49
    3x F81 Coaxial Keystone Insert - White $3.87
    2x Wall Plate, 2 Ports - White $0.98
    1x Wall Plate, 1 Port - White $0.49
    For under $20.00 shipped

If anyone needs any premium CAT5e cable, I've got about 800ft in a box. We recently took down our old LAN center area and I took the cables home with me. One end has a connection, other one needs to be made.

Nick
    Nick

Go to an electrical supply house and buy the cables. Go to your local Home Depot or Lowes and get a crimping tool and some CaT5 ends. Make some cable!

I did it in my house.

Geeks.com usually tends to be pretty cheap.
    Ryan G.

I used to have that tester that you have and it was complete junk.