Registering Company.

Hi,

me and my partner are from the United Kingdom, and we are trying to work out how to register our companyWe can't work out how to use the companyhouse website.

Anybody got a url to register with?

Thank you.

Prob. best to use an 'formation' agent, if I say anything else the WHT mods will bear down on me, I'll pm you instead.
    but you can google these services, even eBay, depend what you want.
    Also you may find your accountant can help.

Good Luck anyway

Ditto on the formation agent, much easier than going direct to the companyhouse. I think I remember seeing a full web-based registration for something like £25+Vat!!!!! (i might be wrong though....)
    EX Networks Limited (EXN)
    █ Enterprise Managed Services, VMware Cloud, Complex Hosting
    █ UK Colocation, IP Transit, Layer 2 Services
    www.exn.uk - Call us on: +44 (0) 203 002 9259

Remeber you can't form a name simlar to an exisiting company.
    MK Hosting - Reliable Affordable UK Hosting Since 2005
    www.mkhosting.co.uk
    Shared Hosting - Reseller hosting - Dedicated Servers - VPS - Colocation - IT Services

Quote Originally Posted by MKHosting View Post
    Remeber you can't form a name simlar to an exisiting company.
    Most[good] online formation services will let you know during your application if there is a problem, it's not 100% but about 90% fall proof.
    you can have a look/search at Co. House to avoid any obvious conflicts.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian-de-vie View Post
    Most[good] online formation services will let you know during your application if there is a problem, it's not 100% but about 90% fall proof.
    you can have a look/search at Co. House to avoid any obvious conflicts.
    Yup, want to avoid them.

Good thing is we won't be naming our service like yours MKhosting, we had a look at yours today.

Quote Originally Posted by mkhost View Post
    Yup, want to avoid them.

Good thing is we won't be naming our service like yours MKhosting, we had a look at yours today.
    Naming services, what do you mean? Like shared, reseller, VPS, dedicated... or your company name?
    MK Hosting - Reliable Affordable UK Hosting Since 2005
    www.mkhosting.co.uk
    Shared Hosting - Reseller hosting - Dedicated Servers - VPS - Colocation - IT Services

Quote Originally Posted by MKHosting View Post
    Naming services, what do you mean? Like shared, reseller, VPS, dedicated... or your company name?
    The name of it.

There is no problem with the domain name its self.

Forgot to add Co. House search/check is:
    "The WebCHeck service is available from Monday to Saturday 7.00am to 12 Midnight UK Time"

I'm curious, do you have an existing 'trading name' ?

Use a formation agent or better yet a Solicitor.

You can have similar names if they are specific to industry like if there was a company called mkcleaning ltd and a company called mkhosting ltd that would probably be alright as " passing off "is unlikey to occur, Although don't take my word for it, if your unsure seek legal advice.

But if you are in the same industry as well, its the quickest way to get into problems.

But having said that I am Extremely suprised that you are able to trade without issues with your current chosen name.
    Data Republic - UK Managed Servers - Server Management - Managed Backup/R1Soft
    Follow us on Twitter to get exclusive sales & updates.
    R1Soft Agents Monthly !

Quote Originally Posted by FHH - Tim View Post
    Use a formation agent or better yet a Solicitor.

You can have similar names if they are specific to industry like if there was a company called mkcleaning ltd and a company called mkhosting ltd that would probably be alright as " passing off "is unlikey to occur, Although don't take my word for it, if your unsure seek legal advice.

But if you are in the same industry as well, its the quickest way to get into problems.

But having said that I am Extremely suprised that you are able to trade without issues with your current chosen name.
    We havn't had any problems, as me and my partner are doing fien with that name, optermized it and getting good traffic with it.

I don't really see why the legal issues, everybody has the right to register a domian - freely.

We just got another client, so we're happy.

There is a big differance between the 3 'types' of names:

Domain Name

Trading Name

Ltd. Company name

MKHost.com or .co.uk - should not be a problem in it's own right.
    MK Host as a trading name, within the web hosting industry will be pushing it.
    MK Host Ltd, only about 25% chance youl will be able to reg. it in the first place, and you would need to allow for 'others' to at least consider taking legal action[never cheap].

And continueing on my downbeat, I assume your site is mkhost.co.uk [maybe mkhost.com, or both] anyway, unless I'm mistaken, to trade with UK customers online, you need to display a business address, and as far as I can see both these sites do not display an addresss.

I'm getting the impression that you realy need to consult a lawyer & or accountant before you proceed with your Ltd. co. registration.

Just about to close my window to mkhost.co.uk [if that's yours] and could not help but notice:
    Account Features: Unlimited - on your site,
    trust me if others at WHT notice that, they will eat you alive.
    Last edited by Brian-de-vie; 01-19-2008 at 09:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian-de-vie View Post
    There is a big differance between the 3 'types' of names:

Domain Name

Trading Name

Ltd. Company name

MKHost.com or .co.uk - should not be a problem in it's own right.
    MK Host as a trading name, within the web hosting industry will be pushing it.
    MK Host Ltd, only about 25% chance youl will be able to reg. it in the first place, and you would need to allow for 'others' to at least consider taking legal action[never cheap].

And continueing on my downbeat, I assume your site is mkhost.co.uk [maybe mkhost.com, or both] anyway, unless I'm mistaken, to trade with UK customers online, you need to display a business address, and as far as I can see both these sites do not display an addresss.

I'm getting the impression that you realy need to consult a lawyer & or accountant before you proceed with your Ltd. co. registration.
    Thanks!

I am going to get a POBOX soon I think for this.

A PO or poo box if you're easily amused just ain't credible. A real trading address that ties in the with a companies house lookup is much more credible.

mkhost,

The potential issue is that by using a name which is very similar to an exsisting company within the same industry can be seen as "passing off"
    I'd suggest a rebrand and indeed consult a solicitor about your plans to become a limited company.

Edit: Just noted the posts above, Companies House will not accept a po box, a Uk address is neccesary.
    You can use virtual offices or the best option would be your solicitors if they provide such a service if you don't have your own office yet.
    Data Republic - UK Managed Servers - Server Management - Managed Backup/R1Soft
    Follow us on Twitter to get exclusive sales & updates.
    R1Soft Agents Monthly !