Hostgater question

Hi all

Well I'm tired of researching hosts ..really tired.

Does hostgater have their own forums for answering questions and support for their customers ? I checked their site and couldn't find a link for any forums .

I'm new at this and sure i will be needing some help and feel it would be nice to post questions on the forum.

The reason i chose hostgater it seems they are pretty much on this board whenever somneone has a problem more then other hosts. Customer service is very important and wouldn't want to choose a host like my siggy..LOL

Thanks so much

BT
    VNS Support : I assure you that this company will not tolerate people. Virtuoso

Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Jedito View Post
    Hey Thanks !! I searched their site and couldn't find it..oh well thanks

One other question.. Do they support phpbb3 ? Only thing i see is support for phpbb no mention if it's 2 0r 3.

I'll check their forums also but hoping i can get a quick answer here

Thanks again

BT

Well i found my answer and you have to install php3 manually.

BT

PHPBB3 is really simple to install nowdays, just upload the files to your webspace and then run the installer. Set a install of it up the other day took about 10 mins tops.
    Amd-Communications - Affordable and Powerful Web Hosting Services www.amd-comms.co.uk
    Toll Free: 0800 043 2336 E-mail: sales[at]amd-comms.co.uk Shared Hosting - Reseller hosting - VPS Servers - Fresh IT Solutions

Zach E. - Kualowww.kualo.com
    Shared Web Hosting, Reseller Hosting, Cloud VPS & Dedicated Servers
    UK: 0800 138 3235 ❘ USA: 1-800-995-8256

Thanks so much zacharooni and amdcomms .

I'm about to sign up with hostgater and I already downloaded php3 to my desktop.

Have a great day

BT

Personally, I would recommend against using the cPanel installers (i.e. Fantastico). In the past it has been an issue that cPanel does not always keep completely up-to-date with the latest version of third-party software such as phpBB, etc.

I always recommend that people manually install third-party scripts and to sign up for the newsletter of the respective websites to be immediately informed of any updates to their software.

Quote Originally Posted by swamparoux View Post
    Personally, I would recommend against using the cPanel installers (i.e. Fantastico). In the past it has been an issue that cPanel does not always keep completely up-to-date with the latest version of third-party software such as phpBB, etc.

I always recommend that people manually install third-party scripts and to sign up for the newsletter of the respective websites to be immediately informed of any updates to their software.
    Yes I just checked with phpbb forum and they said to do it manually otherwise no support

Thanks for the heads up !

Blue

Quote Originally Posted by swamparoux View Post

But if you're using SMF, though you're using Fantastico when you installed it, you can always update SMF through the forum admin itself without going to Fantastico or without downloading a new package.

In case someone ends up on this thread and wants help with PHPbb3, here are
    some Flash Tutorials:
    http://www.phpbb.com/support/tutorials/3.0/

And here is the documentation:
    http://www.phpbb.com/support/documentation/3.0/

Please let us know how the installation goes, ok? Feel free to drop by and let us
    know of your experience with HostGator, whether good or bad.

All the best,
    cris
    I've been using HostGator for 38 months.. and it's been awesome.
    Get The Maximum HostGator Discount With These HostGator Coupons!

Quote Originally Posted by crinner View Post
    In case someone ends up on this thread and wants help with PHPbb3, here are
    some Flash Tutorials:
    http://www.phpbb.com/support/tutorials/3.0/

And here is the documentation:
    http://www.phpbb.com/support/documentation/3.0/

Please let us know how the installation goes, ok? Feel free to drop by and let us
    know of your experience with HostGator, whether good or bad.

All the best,
    cris
    Thanks Cris !!!

Thanks for the links as the phpbb forum . Hey is see your siggy has links for hostgater coupons ..is that the best (Current )coupon ?

Thnaks so much and i will be sure to give a review on hostgater.(Waiting for your reply on coupons before i sign up)

BT

Quote Originally Posted by BlueTears View Post
    Thanks Cris !!!

Thanks for the links as the phpbb forum . Hey is see your siggy has links for hostgater coupons ..is that the best (Current )coupon ?

Thnaks so much and i will be sure to give a review on hostgater.(Waiting for your reply on coupons before i sign up)

BT
    The highest discount you can currently get is $9.94. Every cent counts, right?

There used to be a $24.95 coupon long ago...but it's gone.

Good luck with your forum.

All the best,
    Cris
    Last edited by crinner; 01-13-2008 at 06:09 PM.

Correction, I just checked and it turns out that a $24.95 coupon is active again "DAVID" yay.
    A moderator please delete my previous post.

cris

Quote Originally Posted by crinner View Post
    Correction, I just checked and it turns out that a $24.95 coupon is active again "DAVID" yay.
    A moderator please delete my previous post.

cris

Well whats the code ?

I used the wrong code and could have saved more money..

BT

Quote Originally Posted by zionchild View Post
    But if you're using SMF, though you're using Fantastico when you installed it, you can always update SMF through the forum admin itself without going to Fantastico or without downloading a new package.
    True. I had forgot about that. One of the many wonderful features of SMF. My favorite has to be what I call a "rollback" feature. If you install an addon and it doesn't work right or messes something up, just click "uninstall" to bring your forum back to the way it was. This saved my butt when I installed an SEO addon. It made the forum unaccessible, even to admins.

Fortunately the rollbacks work on a backup system. Each time a new addon is installed, SMF makes a copy of the files the addon modifies and zips them up. I just unzipped the files and uploaded them and everything worked fine.