Which feature catches your eye?

What feature about a host usually catches your eye the fastest?

(ex: bandwidth amount, ssh access, etc..)

Midpulse | Customized Shared Web Hosting With VPS-Like Resources
    24/7 Support - 30 Day Money Back Guarantee - Daily Backups
    www.Midpulse.com - Doing Business Since 2007

ssh access, supported programming languages.

Guaranteed WHT response times?

Quote Originally Posted by HostSentry View Post
    Guaranteed WHT response times?
    What does that mean ?

Dunno what features as i stopped looking for shared hosting 2 years back

SSH2 access is a must.

Quote Originally Posted by CretaForce View Post
    SSH2 access is a must.
    With latest Cpanel i find it not much of a use or a reason for using ssh.

SSH2 access is a must.
    SSH access is not a must for everyone, in fact most users would do much better without it.
    cPanel Servers in Europe: Strasbourg (FR), Haarlem & Amsterdam (NL) & Kent (UK), USA (Los Angeles, St.Louis), Asia (Singapore) | Follow us at Twitter: @040hosting
    Shared | Reseller | (managed) Dedicated Hosting | Domain Registrar | SSL Registrar | Cloudlinux Partner| 040Hosting (Registered company #17093425 KVK Eindhoven, The Netherlands)

I usually look at the one's you didn't list. Their name, their history, then price, then bw /space , addons.
    Patron: I'd like my free lunch please.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.
    Cafe Owner: Is our lawyer still working pro bono?

Quote Originally Posted by 040Hosting View Post
    SSH access is not a must for everyone, in fact most users would do much better without it.
    Many of our customers use ssh2 to install/upgrade software or edit files. For example to install joomla instead of ftp the files:

Code:
    wget http://joomlacode.org/gf/download/frsrelease/4508/13216/Joomla_1.0.13-Stable-Full_Package.tar.gz
    tar -zxvf Joomla_1.0.13-Stable-Full_Package.tar.gz

touch configuration.php
    chmod 666 configuration.php
    chmod 777 administrator/backups/ administrator/components/ administrator/modules/
    chmod 777 administrator/templates/ cache/ components/ images/ images/banners/
    chmod 777 images/stories/ language/ mambots/ mambots/content/ mambots/editors/
    chmod 777 mambots/editors-xtd/ mambots/search/ mambots/system media/ modules/ templates/
    Compare the time it takes to do that and the time it takes to ftp the files and then change the permissions one by one.

Many of our customers use ssh2 to install/upgrade software or edit files. For example to install joomla instead of ftp the files:

Code:
    wget http://joomlacode.org/gf/download/frsrelease/4508/13216/Joomla_1.0.13-Stable-Full_Package.tar.gz
    tar -zxvf Joomla_1.0.13-Stable-Full_Package.tar.gz

touch configuration.php
    chmod 666 configuration.php
    chmod 777 administrator/backups/ administrator/components/ administrator/modules/
    chmod 777 administrator/templates/ cache/ components/ images/ images/banners/
    chmod 777 images/stories/ language/ mambots/ mambots/content/ mambots/editors/
    chmod 777 mambots/editors-xtd/ mambots/search/ mambots/system media/ modules/ templates/
    Compare the time it takes to do that and the time it takes to ftp the files and then change the permissions one by one.
    I understand that might be easier for some, but not for all users, besides there are control-panels with i.e. Fantastico which do that job from a interface within two clicks. I am sure you know about those.

And with those file permissions ( 666 and 777) on a server I personally get a bad headache.
    Last edited by 040Hosting; 01-13-2008 at 08:24 AM. Reason: added note about file permissions.
    cPanel Servers in Europe: Strasbourg (FR), Haarlem & Amsterdam (NL) & Kent (UK), USA (Los Angeles, St.Louis), Asia (Singapore) | Follow us at Twitter: @040hosting
    Shared | Reseller | (managed) Dedicated Hosting | Domain Registrar | SSL Registrar | Cloudlinux Partner| 040Hosting (Registered company #17093425 KVK Eindhoven, The Netherlands)

Fantastico doesn't have for example the greek joomla version and it's not always up to date. I recommend my clients to not use fantastico but to install the software manually.

I don't have headache with 666 and 777 permissions because 90% of our clients use CretaPanel instead of Cpanel. CretaPanel is written by us and php runs as fastcgi with individual user permissions. So our clients don't even have to chmod to 666 or 777 as default 755 permissions work fine.

Storage, bandwidh and databases for me
    <<Please see rules for signature setp>>

for me, ssh + other odd languages, and if there are any hot generic web hosting girls staring into space
    semi-retired

I look first in the About US page and try and google them a little bit. I want a company that hasn't started yesterday. I have no doubts that a good percent of the new starters offer good services, but the percent is normally higher with already established hosts.

Second I look for the price/features ratios and third for the existence of a support forum.

Or ...

I come to WHT and search/ask around

I think Bandwidth, space and cost are more important. Then check out reputation of the firm and keep away from overselling companies.
    www.a1domainhosting.com :: www.topwebhostreward.com Best in support and quality

Fantastico doesn't have for example the greek joomla version and it's not always up to date. I recommend my clients to not use fantastico but to install the software manually.

I don't have headache with 666 and 777 permissions because 90% of our clients use CretaPanel instead of Cpanel. CretaPanel is written by us and php runs as fastcgi with individual user permissions. So our clients don't even have to chmod to 666 or 777 as default 755 permissions work fine.

No they don't have the greek version, but if you know joomla you know this is just a simple update to get things right. not something ssh is needed for.

About the permisions, you gave the example of setting the right like that in your earlier post, that is where my remark was based on.

Still i believe that SSH is not the tool for most end users.

Quote Originally Posted by bobitza View Post
    I look first in the About US page and try and google them a little bit. I want a company that hasn't started yesterday. I have no doubts that a good percent of the new starters offer good services, but the percent is normally higher with already established hosts.

Second I look for the price/features ratios and third for the existence of a support forum.

Or ...

I come to WHT and search/ask around
    Hmm a support forum actually sounds like a really good idea.

Midpulse | Customized Shared Web Hosting With VPS-Like Resources
    24/7 Support - 30 Day Money Back Guarantee - Daily Backups
    www.Midpulse.com - Doing Business Since 2007