Is this a good situation?

First, thanks to several of you for responding to my original thread regarding searching for the right server to help host my TV show. Much appreciated, and very helpful.

I have looked into several of the bigger companies and there are some nice deals. However, I'm considering something different. Please tell me if this is a good idea or a bad one......

I have written for a website for several years. The company that hosts the site is small and local. But they come highly recommended by the owners of the site, as well as the owners of another site I have done some work for.

The hosting company has offered me 2GB of space for $25 per month, but is willing to increase the space if we realize I need it (for no extra charge.....within reason of how much extra I need). 2GB SHOULD be enough for what I plan.

Yes, I undertand this is a little more expensive than most prices. However, here's the thing. I have directly spoken with the person who runs the hosting company. He is very easy to get ahold of, is familiar with my previous work, and has major positive references for his customer service from the other people I know.

In a nutshell, I'd be paying a bit extra, but have very good, reliable customer service from someone I trust and who is familiar with my work and issues I may run into.

I'd rather not give the name of the company just to avoid any opinions that may have been swayed either way by others who have had experience with them.

Should I go with them, or choose a bigger company who will give me more size and cheaper rates?

Quote Originally Posted by SportsGuy View Post

In a nutshell, I'd be paying a bit extra, but have very good, reliable customer service from someone I trust and who is familiar with my work and issues I may run into.

In a(nother) nutshell I think you have already made up your mind. If it's any help I would have made the same choice.

I would go for it - there's no reason to take a risk with another company if you've found a company that you're very confident about already. When going for cheaper service, you usually end up paying for it in the end.

That price is fine, and more realistic as it's likely unrestricted for content, where the larger plans are loaded with restrictions.

I would say go for it, since you have personally talked to the person and convinced about his ability in handling your website hosting needs, the extra few dollars you are paying is for the personal attention you are getting from this small hosting firm, which is likely not that easily found in larger web host where the help desk are dealing with thousands of customers daily.
    Foong
    Dotservant.com professional website hosting since 2000

Thanks for all the feedback.

You're right, I had pretty much decided to do it. But before I sign on the dotted line, I wanted to get some re-assurance from some of you because I value your input.

probably $10 per month wont change your life and it's going to save you for some headache, if you think that it worth it, go for them. Think how much your peace of mind does worth
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Yeah. since quality of service is big factor to you than $, and he is familiar with your work, I think you should go with them

by the way, could you share the host name that you are talking?
    iHubNet Ltd - Premium Hosting Solutions 4 ALL
    Solid Support Solid Equipment Solid Network
    Shared Hosting / Reseller Hosting / Managed Server
    General Manager - John K.

Smaller companies often provide better support, faster response times, easier contact with management and owners, friendlier staff, and more reasonable staff. They also usually do not have restrictions on servers as mentioned above that many hosting companies put on their plans. And since it is someone you have worked with in the past, have proper contact with, and trust, i would by far choose that company over a large less expensive company. It is not worth the difference, and you can always change in the future if you have problems with this company.
    SeaSideINTL Management (Dustin Tait)
    (306)862-9739 Click To Enter
    Dedi/Colo/VPS/E-Radio/E-TV/Designs +

Quote Originally Posted by bobitza View Post
    In a(nother) nutshell I think you have already made up your mind. If it's any help I would have made the same choice.
    Well to be frank , i ain't no psychologist but the whole point of making such a thread points to the tiny bit of doubts the OP is having. Its human nature , doubts lead to confusions and if not taken care of properly, to disasters and wrong choices.

/me go on with the thread now folks. Dr. Bunny has spoken.

Yes, I agree. He is having doubts about IF he made the right choice. Anyway, let's not go there as the topic of this thread and the nature of the forum is no way near this subject. bobitza out.