Thumbs down Dot5Hosting is awful

Just wanted to share with everyone an unpleasant experience with Dot5Hosting. I have been with them for 6 months and they have been an OK average type of a host. My perl scripts (tested for years on other servers) stopped working after I moved my site to them, and they could not help with that, and I had to replace them with corresponding php scripts. Then last week suddenly their tech support essentially stops taking phone calls (they just put you on endless hold), their online chatter also puts you on endless hold, and simultaneously their is a new problem with my site. After 8 days (!), I finally get through to them after an endless wait, and instead of helping they start telling me that they are introducing a new security measure and unless I add a security question to my account they are not even going to look at what my problems have been for all these 8 days. No apologies, no apparent concerns, no appearance of care on their side. This is very frustrating! Any suggestions for a new host who would work for the money that I pay them ?

well that sounds like a big host gone wrong. maybe there is another side to this story?

serega,

I would say about any host would treat you better as that, or they are the title 'host' unworthy. Even while they may be very busy it no excuse to leave a customer for 8 days unattended and then blow him off.

You should look for a new host (check the offer section i.e.) with a money back guarantee so you can first see if your scripts work.

Good luck in finding a new host.
    cPanel Servers in Europe: Strasbourg (FR), Haarlem & Amsterdam (NL) & Kent (UK), USA (Los Angeles, St.Louis), Asia (Singapore) | Follow us at Twitter: @040hosting
    Shared | Reseller | (managed) Dedicated Hosting | Domain Registrar | SSL Registrar | Cloudlinux Partner| 040Hosting (Registered company #17093425 KVK Eindhoven, The Netherlands)

Quote Originally Posted by john-x View Post
    well that sounds like a big host gone wrong. maybe there is another side to this story?
    May be. I am struggling to understand what that other side could possible be. Going through the headache of moving my site to another host is the last thing I want to do. I just cannot see how my inability to contact them for 8 days is my fault - I could easily contact them before using the same means. I also do not understand why they would not at least apologize and tell me what happened and whether they plan to restore the quality of services. I asked what happened to the services and whether they expect services to be the same quality in the future, and this question was simply ignored. Directly ignored. If you have any idea how I might be at fault here, please let me know and I will correct the problems on my side.

Wow, that sucks.
    Just stop paying them as soon as you can before you encounter more problems would be my suggestion

8 days of hold..lol that's unacceptable..

by the way, that kind of script is "perl scripts"? and how did you replace it with php scripts that soon?
    iHubNet Ltd - Premium Hosting Solutions 4 ALL
    Solid Support Solid Equipment Solid Network
    Shared Hosting / Reseller Hosting / Managed Server
    General Manager - John K.

Ipowerweb, months later Startlogic, and now a Dot5hosting review. These Endurance guys sure don't give customers a rest bite.

Thumbs down Dot5Hosting in decline.

In the name of progress and improved services, Dot5Hosting began moving websites to new servers and a hosting platform, called vDeck 3.0, in late 2007.

It seems this was done in haste.

My site is very simple compared to most. The actual site had no problems at all. But based on the particular difficulty I am experiencing, I can only begin to imagine the problems others are having. Frankly, I expected to see more of them outlined here. I would encourage others to participate on this thread. It was a simple and non-intrusive matter to register here. If I had time, I'd start a blog dedicated to Dot5Hosting issues and publish every single comment.

My particular complaint is the decline in the lack of available statistics. On the previous vDeck version, stats and log files were continuously updated and easily viewed nearly instantaneously. Now, it might be once or twice a day. The weekly emailing of stat reports or system notices is not functioning either.

I am missing valuable information about who is hitting me and why. I imagine that others, for which an actual hit is used to value their sites, or actually generate income, are missing out as well. I have tested it over and over using every permutation I can think of.

I am told that this problem is systemic, and have seen some improvement, in fits-and-starts, over the last month. But overall, it has been a marked decline in performance on their part. They dare not advertise this on their "system notices." I imagine the competition would be all over it, as they should be.

I hope others will see this and list their comments about the switch to new servers and vDeck 3.0. Perhaps the publicity will inspire some action, or at least awareness.

Going from instantaneous stats availability to, for example, two days ago, waiting over 24 hours for a one simple log update is inexcusable.

Thumbs down

Their transition to the new vDeck is a disaster. I transferred my site on January 4, and they told me that they will contact me shortly to confirm successful transfer and that I should do nothing but wait. I waited and waited, tried to contact their tech support, unsuccessfully, and then decided, what the heck, let me just point the DNS to the new location. Ten days (that is 10) after not hearing from them and not being able to contact the tech support, I pointed the DNS to the new location on January 14. Everything seems to work, including my Perl scripts that did not work before, but man, what a disaster their tech support is !

I agree with you. I heard it before!

Thumbs down Agonizing

My experience with dot5hosting has been nothing but agonizing. Website was down and I contacted them, but had to look for help elsewhere. The replied after three days and said nothing was wrong. You will be lucky to get a support within 2 days, with different people responding to the same email. The only thing that gets a quick response at dot5hosting is your payment, after that, all you'll get are e-mails with apologies and stating that they are available 24/7, I'm living them at the end of my one year payment comming soon.

How can you host with a company when, if you call on the phone what you get is , "all lines are busy right now, goodbye". Tickets are left open and emails are responded to vaguely if at all after 3 days. Once in a while you may get someone live chat, who obviously will ask you to open a ticket. If you are in search of a host, this a no go area.

Website was down and I contacted them, but had to look for help elsewhere. The replied after three days and said nothing was wrong.
    Well, we can at least conclude that the downtime did not last longer than 3 days.

I'm living them at the end of my one year payment comming soon.
    For review validation purposes, can you share a domain you're still hosting with them?

Here is the funniest thing. After I transferred my site to their new platform, everything seems to work pretty smoothly so I did not have to call tech support yet. Although they are a real pain, transferring the site to another host is a huge headache. I caught myself thinking, I will pay them for the next three months, instead of moving the site to another host. Insane.

"Mind is indeed the source of bondage and also the source of liberation. To be bound to things of this world: this is bondage. To be free of them: this is liberation."
    Maitri Upanishad

Quote Originally Posted by serega View Post
    Here is the funniest thing. After I transferred my site to their new platform, everything seems to work pretty smoothly so I did not have to call tech support yet. Although they are a real pain, transferring the site to another host is a huge headache. I caught myself thinking, I will pay them for the next three months, instead of moving the site to another host. Insane.

"Mind is indeed the source of bondage and also the source of liberation. To be bound to things of this world: this is bondage. To be free of them: this is liberation."
    Maitri Upanishad
    Transfering to a new host is easier than you might think. Most hosts will migrate your sites free of charge if there are running the same control panel. The only downtime you should expect is while your domain name transfers. Even that is a lot faster than 8 days of downtime.

Quote Originally Posted by serega View Post
    May be. I am struggling to understand what that other side could possible be.
    A major security breach would explain everything you reported...

Bailey
    Let's Connect on Twitter! @thatsmsgeek2u || Fighting mediocrity one thread at a time.

oh my god, I finally found someone who I can relate to.

Migration to vdeck3.0 was a big headache, everytime i called tech support, expect at least 30 mins (minimum) of wait time, and they will put you on hold for 10 mins and come back with no answers.

Anyways, the migration is finally over. I thought, great, now i am on the new server with less problems... "WRONG!!!"

since last week, all my websites (6 of them) are expericing downgrade in performance, last 2 days, I constantly getting "Internal Server Errors". I emailed them, still haven't hear from them.

This is really unacceptable, the websites are up right now, but it's running like turtles. Imagine the modem days.

Dont' fall for that 300 gb web space and 3,000 gb of bandwidth, they don't mean crap if the website are constantly down.

at this point, I am not sure if I should just go for dedicated server host.. cause I am very sick of dot5hosting.

Guys please bring your business elsewhere, you don't wanna go thru the headaches that i went thru.

I don't know that having a low quality shared host means you could jump to a dedicated host... That is determined by your needs and not necessarily how well they were or were not met by your last shared host.

There are many good hosts here on WHT and a good many of them will do their absolute best to transfer your hosting from a previous provider.

I would suggest that you *not* let your current host know that you are leaving their service until after the new host is set up and ready to go - I have seen people experience problems by giving advanced notice such as the host deleting files etc... I can't say that your host will do this - but it's not a risk I would take personally.

Check out the offers section here and contact the hosts you're interested in and see what they will do to help you transfer your account.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

There's no reason to go to a dedicated server. A good quality shared host will serve your needs perfectly. Including your needs for "no more headaches."

Bailey
    Let's Connect on Twitter! @thatsmsgeek2u || Fighting mediocrity one thread at a time.

Dont' fall for that 300 gb web space and 3,000 gb of bandwidth, they don't mean crap if the website are constantly down.
    Definitely can't disagree with you there. I'm wondering, what's your current usage? Chances are that a ~$10 shared hosting account, from a provider that does a decent job at keeping its servers performing well, could still very well be a solution for you.

If you do decide to go for a dedicated server regardless, keep in mind that it has to be administered by someone. This can be done by you if you have the skills for it, or you can hire a third party to do it for you, or you can get a fully managed server.