hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : SEO / SEM Discussions : ethical seo?

Forum Jump

ethical seo?

Reply Post New Thread In SEO / SEM  Discussions Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2008, 02:09 PM

ethical seo?

Would putting your keywords and phrases between comment tags <!-- --> in the code of a page be considered ethical seo?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2008, 02:13 PM
Community Liaison

I don't know about ethics but I have a strong feeling that google, yahoo and MSN can understand what is comment and what is content, so those keywords may not help that much.

Old 01-13-2008, 10:12 AM
Web Hosting Evangelist

I personally using that and yet not get penalized.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2008, 12:04 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

That is keyword stuffing! If you can try and make a sentence out of it

Old 01-14-2008, 09:07 AM

Google and Yahoo aren't creating idiots spiders. These spiders are much more intelligent when it comes to detecting keyword spamming and stuffing. You will get your site penalized for that action and do not regret your action if you want to try it.

Old 01-14-2008, 10:00 AM
Web Hosting Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rif Chia View Post
Google and Yahoo aren't creating idiots spiders. These spiders are much more intelligent when it comes to detecting keyword spamming and stuffing. You will get your site penalized for that action and do not regret your action if you want to try it.
I quite don't understand why a site will get penalized for commenting in blog putting single keywords in comment tags <!-- --> the keywords that represent a site, and that is moderated & allowed by a blog owner.

Old 01-14-2008, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite_in View Post
I quite don't understand why a site will get penalized for commenting in blog putting single keywords in comment tags <!-- --> the keywords that represent a site, and that is moderated & allowed by a blog owner.
Inserting keywords in areas that human can't see is as good as black hat. Comment area that describes a particular action without excessive keywords stuffing is ok. It is not that you do not get penalized, it is yet to be penalized. It takes quite some time in order to penalize every BH sites.

Old 01-14-2008, 10:10 AM
Web Hosting Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rif Chia View Post
Inserting keywords in areas that human can't see is as good as black hat. Comment area that describes a particular action without excessive keywords stuffing is ok. It is not that you do not get penalized, it is yet to be penalized. It takes quite some time in order to penalize every BH sites.
sorry I disagree, many people use keywords in meta tags, that is already recommended, I use different keywords when I comment in blogs from years and get quality backlinks to my sites/blogs.

Old 01-14-2008, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite_in View Post
sorry I disagree, many people use keywords in meta tags, that is already recommended, I use different keywords when I comment in blogs from years and get quality backlinks to my sites/blogs.
Hey i think you are talking about a different subject. What the thread starter is trying to say is about comment tags in page codings. Not commenting in blogs. Get yourself clear on the thread, don't post for the sake of posting.

Old 01-14-2008, 11:15 AM
Web Hosting Evangelist

I believe it should follow the same logic as all other hidden page elements. That is , they are helpful unless they are done excessively. But I think they don't affect ranks that much.

Old 01-14-2008, 01:07 PM
Web Hosting Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitz
Would putting your keywords and phrases between comment tags <!-- --> in the code of a page be considered ethical seo?
It is my understanding that spiders ignore the contents of "comment" tags. In other words, adding "comment" tags full of keywords would do you no good (with respect to raising your visibility for the keywords you're stuffing into your page).

Note: You might not be penalized by the search engines, simple because their spiders skip of the tags' contents entirely (at this current stage of spider development). But you won't be helped, either. So what's the point?

Eliz.

Old 01-14-2008, 01:09 PM
Community Liaison

Google spider is definitely much smarter than most people think. It will index only visible and useful content. Yes, it can understand useful content! It doesn't index most navigation links, copyright texts, garbage text (full of keywords), repeated content etc.

Adding keywords in comment tags will make no good.

HarzemDesign - Highest quality, well designed and carefully coded hosting designs. Not cheap though.
█ Large and awesome portfolio, just visit and see!

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Large Volume DDoS Attacks See Exceptional Growth in First Half of 2014: Arbor Networks Web Hosting News 2014-07-18 13:48:25
Google’s Project Zero Research Team to Uncover Online Security Threats Web Hosting News 2014-07-16 16:21:50
If You Can’t Beat Them, Join Them: Why Security Professionals are Becoming Certified Ethical Hackers Web Hosting News 2014-07-08 13:37:33
John McAfee Takes on Internet Privacy with New App and a Call to Action Blog 2014-05-08 10:31:45
NetApp Files Suit Against Nimble, Alleges Competitor Stole Employees, Information Web Hosting News 2013-11-01 12:08:41