Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yum probs

Hybrid View

* Yum probs

Hi

I have a small vps, 512mb xen, no sites on it yet

i have apf installed, this seems to block YUM and plesk updater, i raise a ticket this gets fixed, but the next day back to square one, YUM wont work, so I raise a ticket.......

Why does this happen... and how to fix
    VPS & Dedi with -
    UKServers (8/10) Clouvider (7/10) 12 month, Rapidswitch (1/10) 15Years+, Hivelocity (10/10) 7 Years, Clustered net (10+/10) 17Years+

i use APF on my Virtuozzoz Box i had the same problem we were seting up APF on the local VPS's when we moved APF to a Dedicated Box and got it off the VPS and then put the Virtuozzo Box's behind the APF firewall all was good again through out the land

When i work with the my data center on this and my sys admin this was the best solutions for us

contact your provider and or Datacenter see if they can put you behind there APF firewall if they have it available

Ray
    Fully Managed | cPanel Shared Hosting | Windows Shared (coming soon) | R1Soft Daily Backups | FFmpeg packages
    Base 10 Hosting LLC
    follow us on twitter - @Base10Hosting

oh do you have yum installed currently now and do you have virtuozzo control panel or hyper or what???
    Fully Managed | cPanel Shared Hosting | Windows Shared (coming soon) | R1Soft Daily Backups | FFmpeg packages
    Base 10 Hosting LLC

It is on Xen VPS Cheapvps, HyperVM, running plesk 8.3

When I report this to my service provider, they fix it and all works fine.
    then next day it happens again

Yum install and working fine (apf disabled)
    VPS & Dedi with -
    UKServers (8/10) Clouvider (7/10) 12 month, Rapidswitch (1/10) 15Years+, Hivelocity (10/10) 7 Years, Clustered net (10+/10) 17Years+

Did you ask them what they did to fix the problem?

I asked the first time to ensure it wasnt my self doing it, after numerious mail and events I asked so maybe I could do the fix, all I know its something I cant do

I would like to keep the VPS, Im only using it for devel work and a ftp back up for other servers, but I cant even nip into root yum update and go

Keith
    VPS & Dedi with -

i just contacted my DC and there was a conflict with the packages needed for yum and the communication between it and iptables when yum was on the vps it was better to have it on a dedicated server and the vps behind it for those reasons

thats how we are set up all of out VPS are behind multiple APF firewalls
    Base 10 Hosting LLC

they just sent me an email between then and centos.org and even they said yum can not be on the box that the APF firewall is on due to conflicts so
    Base 10 Hosting LLC

thanks for your help

Keith
    VPS & Dedi with -

no problem i have msn too if you need anything anytime im always around
    Base 10 Hosting LLC

We run plenty of servers with APF and yum works just fine. Actually all of the VPS's we run, we install APF firewall on and we have no reported problems. This looks more like a configuration issue with Xen, I don't see any issues using CentOS.

i use Virtuozz that why i cant run it on the VPS itself it an issue with SWSoft and i got another email from the dc there is a config issue with Virtuozz too lol
    Base 10 Hosting LLC

On my main server, im running APF on virtosso and plesk, no problems

Keith
    VPS & Dedi with -

i reuested a more in dept details on it are you using Ez template or full OS templates
    Base 10 Hosting LLC

APF is just a front for iptables, so how can there be conflicts?

The only issue I can see, is that of the provider not configuring the modules correctly within VZ for iptables.
    Chris Imrie
    Freelance Consultant

is there something specific that needs to be in place to be able to use it

my current i amusing the EZ OS and Application Templates
    Base 10 Hosting LLC

Ray,

Contact me via PM or another contact method and we will discuss this. The main thing at the moment is to offer advice to Keith rather than going off topic.
    Chris Imrie
    Freelance Consultant

keith can oyu tell us what you provider told you how they fixe the problem before
    Base 10 Hosting LLC

Did APF return any errors when it was started?

Hi all,

I get no errors when I start APF, everything else work fine, I can visit my web site, ftp it, just Yum wont work or plesk update, very puzzling

I will enquire again to find out i will post back, I thought I would post it here as others are with the same provider and vps may have had the same issue

Other than that I may cancel the VPS, nothing but probs so far

Keith
    VPS & Dedi with -

Do you have outbound port 80 access restricted? When APF is running, are you able to 'ping google.com' or able to 'telnet mirrors.centos.org 80' ?

No outbound, just tested that now

APF set to allow ingress on 80, no filtering on outbound 80
    VPS & Dedi with -

keith,

how are things going still having problems
    Base 10 Hosting LLC

Just incase anyone else has this problem, this is now fixed

provider reply
    "The new builds of APF are not fully compatible with the default openvz setup. It requires additional modules or a reconfiguration. The fix here was additional modules."

Wish this could been fixed at the beginning (21st dec) when i got the vps, taken out another VPS with other provider now, just hope their support is better

Keith
    VPS & Dedi with -

I don't know about new builds, APF has always been compatible with our setup, you just have to allow the VPS's to use the right modules.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast