1and1 Dedicated Server

Hi,

I was looking at 1and1's website and saw that if you go to 1and1.co.uk you can oder a server for $44.12 USD that supposedly has dedicated and unmetered and dedicated bandwidth to a 100mbit port on their own backbone, Sprint, and Level3.

If you go to 1and1.com, they only offer capped bandwidth on the same providers.

Their bandwidth provider lists don't include Cogent but if you do a trace route to 1and1.co.uk its mostly Cogent, but also 1and1's backbone. If you do a trace route to 1and1.com its all 1and1.

Something is weird here. You can't get 100mbit unmetered dedicated for $44.12 even on Cogent bandwidth or in a Europe or London data center.

The reason I'm asking is because if this were to work it well, it would be amazing, but I've learned that you pay for what you get being a former FDC customer and being in data centers that use Cogent or shared bandwidth.

1 and 1

I was a 1and1.co.uk customer for around 5 months.
    To be honest it wasnt to bad for 100mbts shared bandwidth.
    Also ive had fdc as well.
    I would say fdc just edges it on the network.
    With 1and1 when you go past a tb of bw u have to go to ur control
    panel after every 250gig u do and reset the port back to 100mbt.
    I used to push out around 5-7 tb a month witch for the price is not to bad.

Quote Originally Posted by slayer2005 View Post
    I was a 1and1.co.uk customer for around 5 months.
    To be honest it wasnt to bad for 100mbts shared bandwidth.
    Also ive had fdc as well.
    I would say fdc just edges it on the network.
    With 1and1 when you go past a tb of bw u have to go to ur control
    panel after every 250gig u do and reset the port back to 100mbt.
    I used to push out around 5-7 tb a month witch for the price is not to bad.
    So it IS shared bandwidth? Is it really Cogent? Which data center does 1and1 use for those customers?

To be honest i cant tell you that as im not 100% sure.
    But im defo sure it is shared...cum on for the price it would never be dedicated port.
    But still the down speed was fine and the up was ok.
    i used to always get 11mb down and adverage 6-7 up using utorrent.

Where are you tracing from? That might explain alot about your traces.
    Aaron Wendel
    Wholesale Internet, Inc. - http://www.wholesaleinternet.net
    Kansas City Internet eXchange - http://www.kcix.net

Quote Originally Posted by WII-Aaron View Post
    Where are you tracing from? That might explain alot about your traces.
    I'm tracing from the Washington, DC area with Verizon FiOS

Quote Originally Posted by kwdservices View Post
    Which data center does 1and1 use for those customers?
    I have some windows servers with them. all of my servers were hosted on Germany when i ordered on 1and1.co.uk. remember, 1and1.co.uk servers are available for only the residents of UK. if you are a intl customer, you need to use 1and1.com. and yes, the only problem there is, you need to login to your control panel when you exceed 1000 Gb bandwidth. they will change your port from 100mbps to 10mbps after 1000GB bandwidth. but you can change it to 100Mbps port by logging in to your control panel. it's really nice servers and network. no downtime, no issues and i really suggest them to anyone who is looking for unmanaged servers. i have used like 5TB of traffic in a single server. @ month

$44.12 USD for the first 3 months and after that it's normal price

I was hosting with 1 & 1 with the servers in Germany. They do make a big difference wen it comes to what service you use and where you are located and how you pay.

The service was good but it was a pain to upgrade, change or cancel services. Takes forever, lots of paperwork, faxes etc etc.. but that was Germany and a few years ago.. maybe they are better now. But service was good.

Quote Originally Posted by stealthiss View Post
    The service was good but it was a pain to upgrade, change or cancel services. Takes forever, lots of paperwork, faxes etc etc.. but that was Germany and a few years ago.. maybe they are better now. But service was good.

Very True... they have some problems like this. we have to mail them to cancel the server. not email, mail. also there are some fax , paper works in the initial stage. but as above said, the servers are really good.