should i move to VPS ? need advice..

Hi,
    i was hoping to get some advice from you guys (&gals).

i have several website and i've been in shared hosting for a few years (hostgator).

everything has been great with hostgator and the number of visitors on my websites is growing nicely until lately i've been starting to get some service-deny from the hosting (error code 500)

I asked hostgator about it and they told me :

"The issue is because of the connections that you are getting, you are only allowed 20 simultanous connections and after that it will display that error

You would have to get a dedicated server to have more than 20 Connections. With the amount of users you have, I would STRONGLY suggest that."

well you can realize i'm not anxious to pay x10 times for a dedicated server... so i was thinking about getting a VPS (i've seen around here i can get a descent one for 30-50$ a month)

but i'm not really sure about it.. i know that on a VPS (or a dedicated server) i will have full control and i can do anything i want and so... but really, all i want is more than 20 simultanous users... i don't want more disk space or bandwidth... and i don't want any headache dealing with a linux/unix machine (i know there are managed account)

so is VPS what I need? is that the reason people are moving to VPS? or maybe people want more control on the server ?

and if so, is VPS enough for more than 20 simultanous? or maybe i need dedicated server?

i must say that my websites are really not using too much CPU, not much calculation or anything, almost no DB actions... pretty simple games websites...

that's it, i hope to get some advice, sorry for the long message :-)

Cheers,
    Julian.

Julian

From your description it does not look like you need a Dedicated server A vps would suit you just fine

there are Vps provides that can provide you with 100% managed solution but be sure to ask questions as different providers have different definitions as to what managed is

take a look in the vps offers
    Lowest Host/Empire Technology LLC
    Offering Quality Shared, Reseller, VPS servers, and Dedicated Servers
    24x7 Tech Support http://empire-hosting.net
    XEN Servers Now http://xenserversnow.com - Budget XEN VPS /

thanks, i'm looking at the vps offers, too many :-)

any way to calculate what i need? 256ram? 512? or maybe 128 will do?

any way to compare the shared hosting i have to these VPS so i'll know where i'm at currently?

for example - my "Baby Package" shared hosting at hostgator . com (sorry, it doesn't let me add a link)
    compared to what they call "Discovery" at jaguarpc . com ?

(not in terms of disk-space/bandwidth of-course)

i wanna make sure i upgrade and not downgrade ...
    i don't wanna get worse response time for example..
    i want the same but with more concurrent users...

thanks again.

running cpanel 256MB minimum Ram
    I would recomennd 384 or more
    Lowest Host/Empire Technology LLC
    Offering Quality Shared, Reseller, VPS servers, and Dedicated Servers
    24x7 Tech Support http://empire-hosting.net
    XEN Servers Now http://xenserversnow.com - Budget XEN VPS /

There are very few differences between VPS and dedicated server from the viewpoint of server administration. And the cost is almost the same. If you are to get your feet wet with server administration go with a small dedicated server. You can find cheap dedicated servers under $30 a month. For comparison I have a Pentium 4 HT 2.8GHz 2.5TB BW from www.serveraday.com for just $ 39 / month.
    Last edited by dotHostel; 01-12-2008 at 01:19 PM.
    You will only find out how good a provider is when the going gets tough

I agree with both dothostel and Hostingbig there both right A VPS will suite you just right my personal preferance on the cpanel ram ammout is 512meg or higher though.

be sure to open up some ticket with providers and ask the questions you need to to make sure your ready for the move..
    Fully Managed | cPanel Shared Hosting | Windows Shared (coming soon) | R1Soft Daily Backups | FFmpeg packages
    Base 10 Hosting LLC
    follow us on twitter - @Base10Hosting